Are there any true geniuses here? (IQ over 155)

Page 26 of 28 [ 439 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 10:17 am

Verdandi wrote:

I didn't say people can't have cognitive biases, but it is just as easy to develop negative cognitive biases about a group of people (called "prejudice") on an arbitrary basis. I don't see the point of singling out a group of people and twisting things around like this.

I don't think the metric is very meaningful, but I do not think the problem is by any means people who get any particular score on it. They're given the information that they're given, but they're not the source of any problem here.

Let's see if I can be clearer: From what I've seen and you can look a High IQ boards, is the belief that the high score means global. There are some exceptions. The dogma of this by psychometricians seems to have that effect or influence, at least initially.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

27 Mar 2012, 10:20 am

Mdyar wrote:
Let's see if I can be clearer: From what I've seen and you can look a High IQ boards, is the belief that the high score means global. There are some exceptions. The dogma of this by psychometricians seems to have that effect or influence, at least initially.

High IQ boards aren't interesting to me.

I don't think there's a way to spin this that will make me agree/understand.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 10:31 am

V. it's not just those boards per say. You can find voluminous postings that show perplexity by the non gifted IQ and achievement. It's terrible.
"Well, they just have to work harder at it."

It's entirely possible that those members of High IQ boards are in a minority and such ones need that for meaning in their life, hence latch on to the Dogma.

The generalization could be skewed.

viddy9
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 May 2013, 9:09 am

I suppose by your definition, I'm not, as my IQ is exactly 155 on a standard deviation of 15. To follow the structure used by one of the first posters in this thread, my 'special ability' is my 'eidetic memory'. I can memorise anything upon looking at it.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 10:15 am

I have an IQ over 155 and I am incredibly stupid. Everyone here agrees. People who know me in real life also agree. There are people here with half my IQ I look up to. Can we just forget about IQ? It only causes unnecessary heartache.

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 10:28 am

IQ tests require specific preparation and skills. So you could find yourself overwhelmed by certain tasks and excel at others. A high IQ test would show that everything isn't as bad as you might think.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 2:30 pm

I "hit the ceiling" on my verbal and arithmetic IQs when I was in primary school, and my average IQ out of all my subtests was 160.

However at the age of 12 I started acting oddly, withdrawing more, experiencing paranoia and self-harming. At the age of 14, I started hearing voices. At the age of 15, I had my first psychotic episode. Since then I have had 12 separate hospital admissions and I'm diagnosed schizophrenic.

The above has not affected my intelligence greatly, but it has affected my motivation, my drive, my concentration span and my ability to perform (despite knowing the answers, I cannot communicate them well).

I had two years out of education and now I am a part-time university student doing Pharmacology at one of the best universities in the UK. However I am three years older than most of my fellow students.

My arithmetic is extremely fast. And my problem solving skills are high standard. Also my memory is good. However my medications sedate me at certain times of the day, so I'm not always at top performance.

I did the UK Senior Mathematics Olympiad at secondary school and came out as in the top 250 of the UK in that age group. I got average 96% in my A-levels.

However after leaving school, I suffered abuse from my mum, and had several severe relapses, two of which included me being sectioned by 5 police officers, handcuffed, in public, and had to be forced kicking and screaming into the back of a police van. Obviously the abuse and the relapses affected my ability to think badly for a while. Also I was homeless for 5 months. That was the time when I took two years out of education.

Now I am just getting by.

IQ is not everything. I can beat a calculator with some of my mental arithmetic, I can learn a whole train map in 15 minutes, and I can beat my PhD first-class honours degree Dad in Scrabble (a word game that requires high knowledge of vocabulary and good skill and strategy with words). However I am not top in my class at university, although I'm doing well. I don't feel that I will win the Nobel Prize or become famous. In fact I just want to complete my BSc Pharmacology, do an MSc, a PhD, and then perhaps work as a consultant of some sort.

Spuggey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 May 2013, 7:23 pm

I've been tested, as an adult, by Mensa and as part of a university research project. I scored over 155.

I'm not super smart. I'm not dumb either, but... Meh. I'm just good at puzzles. And the verbal parts of IQ tests.

tjr1243
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 May 2013, 11:40 pm

I'm nowhere near being a genius - I'm probably about average in intellect. However, as an Aspie, I'm AMAZED by the number of people I know in real life who tell me how high their IQ is; in fact, so high as to be nearly impossible to believe.

Someone recently told me that his IQ was 170, yet he doesn't seem anywhere near that, just talking to him and knowing him.

People claim big things like I'm some sort of gullible idiot (maybe I am) :o

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 1:34 am

Shoot!! My is only 154. I missed it by just one lousy point. ONE STUPID LOUSY POINT!! ARRGGGGGGGG!! !!

I guess as the old saying goes "Close, But no cigar!".

whalewatcher
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 May 2013, 7:00 am

I took the Mensa test when I was 29 and came out with an IQ score of 159. It was quite affirming, as it made me realise that I wasn't as stupid as everybody had always told me I was...

When I was 49 I was diagnosed with Aspergers. That made me realise, after all this time, that 'not fitting in' had made people convince me that I was stupid.

So, as I see it, being an aspie cancelled out any advantages I might have otherwise have gained from being clever beyond the average. Bright, but no clue how to use it.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 7:22 am

On the flipside....people I know consider me to be quite intelligent, but I only have an IQ of 129. One's intelligence is also measured by your ability to maximise your capabilities even if they are limited compared to somebody claiming to be in Mensa. You also need to have a good EQ in order regulate your emotional state and reasonable control of executive functions.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 7:41 am

I've been professionally tested for IQ and I'm only about 95. It's not a mistake either because I do feel around that, and sometimes I feel others are intellectually smarter than me, especially with maths. I am bad at maths, and also at puzzles and quizzes, where as I've seen people complete puzzles and quizzes really quick without much practice. Maybe my attention span and memory isn't very good.

I've always wondered what it was like to be really intelligent, like top of the class. At school I was in the special ed group and was comfortable learning at the same pace as kids with learning difficulties.

The only things I seem good at is expressing my feelings (in monologue ways), spelling most words, kissing and cuddling men, building houses on the Sims 2, and playing songs on the piano one-handed, controlling the background rhythms with the other hand. All of that doesn't make me a genius, I've met NTs who can do all of those and plenty of other things too.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 1:13 am

Joe90 wrote:
I've always wondered what it was like to be really intelligent, like top of the class. At school I was in the special ed group and was comfortable learning at the same pace as kids with learning difficulties.

The important thing is you have interests or pursuits that you are enthusiastic or passionate about. It doesn't matter how long it took you to develop your interests. BTW I doubt our super geniuses here are much different than you and I.

Joe90 wrote:
The only things I seem good at is.... kissing and cuddling men..... .

That won't make you a genius but I imagine it won't harm your popularity :wink:

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 1:19 am

Imma true genius. I just tried to close my eyelids around my eyeglasses to hold my eyeglasses with my eyelids, but it didn't work, because there is not enough space inside my eyelids due to the occupation of the space by my eyeballs.

ffsjeyuu
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 May 2013, 2:03 am

I haven't yet had an IQ test but many who know me in a range of professions say that I am quite intelligent.
I have also received mixed reception on the effectiveness of IQ tests and have heard many psychologists and educators say its outdated and a hard way to perceive intelligence as a whole, and that many aspies could pass based simply on the way they think.