Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 10:18 pm

We decided to surprise Nate with a day trip this weekend - tubing in the mountains. I had no idea how he would take a surprise but we thought we should try it.

We attempted to pack up before the kids woke up but we had problems with organization. When they woke up, we were still saying "Where's the gloves, ski coats....". Nate still had no idea. We packed everything up and Nate still thought he was getting a new track instead of going somewhere. He has been wanting to go to the mountains this past year so we were hoping that would cancel is desire for a track (at least temporarily). We were half way there when my husband said out of the blue, "Thank goodness I brought my gators." It was that little clue that sparked Nate to ask, "Are we going to the mountains?" Gators of all things. IT wasn't the gloves, coat or even my husband looking for his boots that had my son ask that question, it was gators LOL.

Nate had a horrible time at first because Nate hates rain or snow on his face. We should have had more protection for his face but we haven't been able to find a mask in his size yet. Besides that may bother him even more. When we were walking toward the tubing hill, Nate had a meltdown due to the snow hitting his face. Husband carried him. We got to the tubing hill and Nate said, "That is too scary, I am not going". We are allowed to hold on to his tube, so that convinced him to try. Our first time down the hill, we held on to each side of his tube. Half way down he looked freaked out. . We asked him, "Nate, isn't this fun?" He wasn't convinced. Then my husband said toward the end of the hill, "Oh no, Nate's winning mom and dad. You are winning Nate!" Nate suddenly had this look on his face and just beemed. He yelled, "I won mom and dad." He then wanted to go again. The 2nd time, he was scared most of the way down and when I said "Come on, beat dad" he smiled. After an hour of tubing, Nate wanted us to let go of him half way down. On his last ride down, we let go and when Nate got to the bottom of the hill, his tube was struck by two adults (it's like bumper cars). The adults were apologizing when Nate threw his arms in the air and yelled, "YES!! !! Yeahhhhh. So cool!"

This was huge for Nate! He is usually scared of everything. He also usually finds it difficult to handle events such as someone hitting his tube. IN addition, he doesn't like little droplets of water hitting his face. I asked him earlier on during the tubing adventure, if he was fine with the snow hitting his face and he didn't answer me. He just started talking about going down the hill again.

When we headed down the mountain, Nate asked "Was that my surprise or can I have new train tracks?" LOL I love my child.

He was sent home sick today with almost a 102 temp. He told me, "I got sick from tubing, mom!" Poor lil' guy

That was our adventure. I was pretty shocked at how he did, honestly. We decided to try it not knowing how he would respond and he did extremely well!! Go Nate!

Shayne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Mar 2009, 1:22 am

natesmom wrote:
IT wasn't the gloves, coat or even my husband looking for his boots that had my son ask that question, it was gators LOL.

Perhaps he had some curiosity but thought it unlikely since he wasn't told so.

natesmom wrote:
Go Nate!

He deserves new train tracks.

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2009, 8:18 am

Good point about the gators. It was still cute. Yesterday evening, Nate said that he wants to go tubing again. I seriously have whiplash, so I will need to wait for a while - at least two weeks. When I went alone, this guy asked if I wanted to be spun. I said, "sure". It was crazy. I went so fast my neck snapped back and I felt motion sick. Bla.

I think he does deserve some new tracks LOL.

I just need to find out what he is talking about. He keeps talking about new tracks and tries to describe them for us but we have no idea. We have about four different train tracks already including lego, wood, plastic, geotracks. Those are a lot of train tracks. We are bursting at the seams with train tracks!!

We should have bought a house with a basement to do some serious model trains and tracks. I have always wanted to do those model tracks where you make everything including the trees. We have a smaller house so we would need to be creative. If he ends up having interest in that, then perhaps we can start doing our own model tracks in about a year. We can dedicate our family (currently tv room) for that. I think it is worth it. It's always something I wanted to do as well. We will see.

Shayne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Mar 2009, 8:39 am

It's cool that you guys have some common interest. Perhaps you could start with just some trains and figures until you figure out a setup.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2009, 12:05 pm

Snow trips have always been a bit of a mixed experience for my AS child, but he remains totally addicted to them, and has been skiing for 2 years now as well.

Glad it all turned out well. Nate sounds SOOOOO cute.

Lol, I have NEVER tried to surprise my kids. I can't pull stuff like that off, and I don't like being surprised myself.