Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2012, 2:17 pm

Why could not they be? :lol:

Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Dec 2012, 3:01 pm

Tht's sure. I met NTs in my life that looked like geniouses a lot more than me.

Plodder
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2012, 3:11 pm

Xanderbeanz wrote:
to be a genius, you have to be completely obsessed in your special interest

I do not agree with that statement. I do not think obsession is the requirement for genius. Rather, I think the requirement for genius is innate ability.

Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Dec 2012, 4:12 pm

Plodder wrote:
Xanderbeanz wrote:

I do not agree with that statement. I do not think obsession is the requirement for genius. Rather, I think the requirement for genius is innate ability.

A genious needs constancy and willpower, that are completely different from obsessions. Also, they need innate ability, that's sure.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2013, 2:34 am

Of course. Why wouldn't they?

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 8:59 am

There is no such thing as a 'genius gene'.

slushy9
Raven
Raven

05 Jul 2013, 9:57 pm

i guess so with practice
but imo, aspies are more likely to be geniuses. no offence, its out obsessions.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 6:33 am

I am a diagnosed Aspie but I am not a genius, and have never been.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 10:48 pm

:evil:

Venn diagram

:heart:

NTs come in a wide range of intelligence

Including genius

Just like autistics come in a wide range of intelligence

Including genius

There are seven billion people in the world

At least two neurotypicals are genius

Mensa definition

:mrgreen:

dyadiccounterpoint
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 May 2019, 2:22 pm

I define genius by the critically successful application of intelligence in the external world. It's a social definition because it implies that these applications are influential and adopted by society or change the world in some fashion.

Someone might technically have an IQ of 160 and be capable of vast and complex logical reasoning, but if this person never translates that ability into action, then I would never call them a genius. I would say they have a highly superior intelligence.

I like this kind of distinction because it encourages brilliant people to exercise and improve executive functioning skills so as to contribute to society.

Being brilliant in your room and dying with no influence isn't worth a lot.

We seldom realize, for example, that our most private thoughts and emotions are not actually our own. For we think in terms of languages and images which we did not invent, but which were given to us by our society - Alan Watts

KikiKitty678
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 May 2019, 12:14 pm

Yes, but geniuses with social skills.

KikiKitty678
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 May 2019, 12:15 pm

Kairi96 wrote:
Plodder wrote:
Xanderbeanz wrote:

A genious needs constancy and willpower, that are completely different from obsessions. Also, they need innate ability, that's sure.

For sure.

Oculus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Dec 2019, 4:01 pm

I have worked with bona fide geniuses enough to know that I'm not one. They're on a totally different level. I have no idea whether any of them were AS or not.

Personally I suspect that AS can be geniuses, but that AS are no more likely to be geniuses than NT, but I have nothing to back that up.

Breaking it down further, there are three possible cases:

(1) AS and genius are not causally related.

In this case, we would expect the percentage of geniuses who are AS to be the same as the percentage of non-geniuses in the population who are AS.

(2) AS can be a cause of genius.

In this case, we would expect more geniuses to be AS, and more AS to be geniuses. It would mean something about AS causes higher orders of intelligence.

(3) AS precludes genius.

In this case, we would expect few or no geniuses to be AS. It implies that AS is a type of mental retardation which prevents higher orders of intelligence.

Looking at AS who I know, it would be tempting to lend credence to #2, but I don't think so. Some AS enjoy a high degree of focus on specific subjects which leads to increased practice in that subject, and sometimes even expertise. I think that can lead to AS seeming more intelligent than they actually are. If anyone, AS or NT, works hard and enforces the self-discipline to stay focused on a subject, they will enjoy greater command of that subject. This behavior simply comes more easily to some AS, and it has nothing to do with intelligence.

Some people would find #3 compelling, but I think this is based on the "halo effect", a logical fallacy which is the core of many misunderstandings. The halo effect causes people who observe good traits in people to assume they have other good traits not in evidence, or when they observe bad traits in people they assume those people have other bad traits not in evidence. So when people observe AS behavior they deem bad (such as antisocial behavior, incomprehension of social norms, or taboo behavior like stimming), the halo effect leads them to assume the AS is bad in other ways, including low intelligence.

As for case #1, I have no evidence to prove it or disprove it, it just seems likely to me.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Dec 2019, 3:47 am

MadyGirl1987 wrote:
I have to say I don't really agree that all Aspies are geniuses. I think that, like with everything else, it is a spectrum. I am a Aspie and my intellegence is pretty much normal. I also know some people who are not Aspies and are pretty darn smart. It all depends on a whole bunch of factors.
I'm an Aspie who's the opposite of a genius. I'm pretty ret*d & dumb compared to LOTS of people including other Aspies & NTs.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Shoalinagent
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jun 2022, 12:07 am

Reviving an old thread as it is interesting.

It seems to me that anybody is capable of Genius with enough focus, work, and thought experiments.

Having a higher IQ just gets you there faster.

Einstein's general relativity was a series of thought experiments and then years of number crunching to prove it.

DNA was initially visualized during an LSD trip, again a lot of work required to actually see it.

I guess this is why Einstein once said imagination is more important than intelligence.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 1:32 am

What Constitutes “Genius”? Beyond IQ and the Importance of Creative Individualism

Quote:
What constitutes genius? Who is a genius? The Genius Famine, by Bruce Charlton and Edward Dutton, answered many burning questions that have arisen for me over the course of several decades that have importance for the notion of genius and what constitutes a genius and why we still need geniuses:

The populations of Japan and China score higher than almost all Western countries on psychometric tests, so why have there been so few “geniuses” produced by these countries? Is “genius” a Eurocentric concept?
As a corollary of that, why do the Chinese just copy American technology through reverse engineering and industrial espionage instead of creating their own? Yes, it is easier, but also derivative and destines them for second rate status.

https://voegelinview.com/what-constitut ... vidualism/