Anyone have mental disorders besides ASD?

Page 1 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 2:50 pm

If you do what would you like people to know or your thoughts on it?

I've been diagnosed for Major Depression, Bipolar Affective Disorder (which I don't think I have), and an Anxiety Disorder.

As for major depression, I don't know if this derives from the problems I had growing up or just a chemical imbalance. For a long time I had thoughts about suicide and sometimes acted on them. In my crazy way of thinking I felt like I was hopeless and abnormal. This was way before I was ever diagnosed with aspergers. I can't alone blame my aspergers but sometimes I wonder if it made depression extra hard.

Besides going into rehab for psychiatric problems I was also very dependent on alcohol. Still am once I start drinking. But I think rehab really saved my ass and changed my outlook in some aspects in life that I use to see as negative.

Bipolar Affective Disorder, this was before I was diagnosed with aspergers...again. I think they misdiagnosed me due to the drugs I was on at that time. I think methamphetimine use can look a lot like someone with a bipolar disorder only that they didn't know I was using at that time.

Anxiety...had tremors and tics around people and still do to a certain extent. Not sure if it's part of my anxiety due to the fact in how I will come off when interacting with people. I don't have it so bad like I use to but the tics seem to heighten when there's too much of myself involved with people. I'm now on meds for that which is helped a great deal.

I will admit that I sometimes get delusional in my way of thinking but not sure if it's anything major. It has caused conflicts in the way I connect with others. I sometimes am too focused on myself to think about other people's needs. I do try and remind myself of this depending on how bad it gets.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 2:53 pm

I'm just autistic with ADHD as a minor aside since I failed a certain battery of computer test which I thought was a stupid setries of tests and for ADHD I would have developed a better series of test but the idiots didn't asked for my opinion.

18 Mar 2009, 2:55 pm

Isn't ASD a mental disorder? :?

I have ADD, depression (used to), and anxiety. At least I'm not embarrassed about having those.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 2:55 pm

many many prior dx'es.

the current understanding and view is that it was just plain old run of the mill(ie) autism all along

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 2:58 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:

Quote:
Isn't ASD a mental disorder

Yes.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 3:03 pm

millie wrote:
many many prior dx'es.

the current understanding and view is that it was just plain old run of the mill(ie) autism all along

Funny you should say that.

I often wonder if many of the stuff like ADD and everything else they tried to diagnose me with was really an overall spectrum of things much similar to each disorder. Yet not one doctor ever brought up or mentioned anything about autism or aspergers. They were just as perplexed as my mom especially with how non verbal I was.

Aspergers and autism seem to cover many of these strange variants. The only difference it they are not as extreme and may mock some of these disorders similar to the symptoms of ASD.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 3:12 pm

I hate to sound more of an idiot here than I am but the 'profession' forever has had a problem with honestly diagnosing females for some reason. Perhaps it's a lot like the reservation society has against executing females.
I was in a hospital sitting at one time where we had an obviously sick female inmate who had the nasty habit of killing people in rather horrible ways. Her doctor called her 'socially dispositioned and victimized'. I actually liked her until she ended up biting a big hunk of flesh out of my arm one evening as we were doing 'leather work therapy'. She finally killed her psycharitrist which I thought was a service to humanity but I think she ended up in some prison somewhere.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 3:12 pm

Quote:
MissConstrue wrote:
millie wrote:
many many prior dx'es.

Funny you should say that.

I often wonder if many of the stuff like ADD and everything else they tried to diagnose me with was really an overall spectrum of things much similar to each disorder. Yet not one doctor ever brought up or mentioned anything about autism or aspergers. They were just as perplexed as my mom especially with how non verbal I was.

Aspergers and autism seem to cover many of these strange variants. The only difference it they are not as extreme and may mock some of these disorders similar to the symptoms of ASD.

our experiences here are almost identical, Misconstrue...whichis no doubt why i relate to much of what you say on WP. (even down to the vids you post.)

I was dx'ed with Multiple Personality Disorder - not by a quack - but by a really good psychologist. With further research into Autism and AS, it is fairly clear that the issue was not one of MPD but very much a case of pronounced social mimicry . tony attwood spoke about the "conman" in his seminar recently - how some AS people become chameleons to the extreme.
so yes, i am an autistic conwoman. that would fit me. and i don;t lie!

the Major Depresion and Anxiety dx'es - definitely co-morbids with the autism. the depresion has lifted since my correct dx.

dissociative disorder - wrong - more a case of the ability to hyperfocus like so many AS people.

Drug and Alcohol problems - now clean -- co-morbid to autism. Like so many i self-medicated in order to fit in somewhere.

the list goes on.

the thing is, the only dx that has ever made sense to ME is the autism one.
there is a lot of peace in that. it is quite wonderful.
let me know when you post up the next vid.

-Vorzac-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Mar 2009, 3:21 pm

Certified Schizophrenic and Agoraphobic here.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 3:23 pm

Yes. OCD (pure obsessional type), panic attacks (not panic disorder, though), and Nonverbal Learning Disorder.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 3:24 pm

The agoraphobia must give you a certain insight most of us haven't had the oppotunity to experience.

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 3:27 pm

PTSD

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 3:31 pm

We'll be needing a lexicon or glossary. What is PTSD (post .........disorder) are you serious and if so why if I can ask. If I can't no worries.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 3:34 pm

post traumatic stress disorder.

i got that one too.

trouble is, i didn't perceive the perceived trauma as traumatic in the first place - even though everyone told me i should.

-Vorzac-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Mar 2009, 3:37 pm

Mainly I just stay indoors, I get panic attacks when I'm in an unfamiliar area (trains seem to get me the worst, the cinema also). I use music to keep myself calm (it also helps drown out my audio hallucinations, which aren't very pleasant) and like to keep moving, if I get pinned down in one location my brain goes haywire.

I wouldn't say It gives me a lot of insight that others have, I think everyone sees things differently as it is, so what I'd call insight is, in my mind at least, subjective. But then, I am a Chaote :P

Or were you being sarcastic? I'f afraid I'm not good at spotting it over the internet.

Also, I should've said I was schizoaffective rather than schizophrenic, as that's my proper diagnosis, but people don't really know what that is.

simon2wright
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Mar 2009, 4:01 pm

Since I have been diagnosed with Aspergers in 2007, I have also been diagnosed with depression anxiety psychosis paranioa insomnia and add, I am now taking Chlorpromazine and Imipramine which helps alot.