Anyone have mental disorders besides ASD?

Page 4 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 11:09 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Here was something else I learned about me when I was 18. Adjustment disorder. When my mom was signing me up for SSI, she was talking to them on and the phone and telling them all my problems I have and she mentioned I was seeing my therapist for Adjustment disorder. I don't know much about it. I never bothered to keep reading about it. I'm not really sure if I still have it or if I was ever diagnosed with it.

I was diagnosed with that as a teenager. It's a misdiagnosis that someone could easily slap on AS people or anyone with social disorder.

It's a meaningless diagnosis that basically tries to cover people that aren't fitting in and adjusting to some circumstance as expected.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 11:40 pm

AD/HD, Anxiety attacks, depression, paranoid delusions... And I am adding more to the list as I become 'older'. :(

I am only 18.

jamieg
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Mar 2009, 12:03 am

doctors keep deciding that i am depressed and that is not true

they are claiming that since i do not go out to concerts and sport events then i must be depressed

i want them to try thinking that maybe the problem is first the size of the crowd and i do not like noises that loud and also the fact that i make less than half the poverty level to live on and do not have a car and not goingto pay the high prices to take a cab then the high prices for tickets to get in and going once to a event that i will not like any way from the level of noise and size of the crowd will add up to more than what my rent is and all things where i live is at night and on the other side of town and most times do not get closer than 100 miles from me

taking a cab is expensive enough so i am definately not going to take a cab to a town that is 100 miles away and a cab is the answer to every thing from these so called doctors

if i had the money to pay a cab to go every where then i think i would just spend less money and buy a car

edited to add

i am diagnosed with disability as borderline personality disporder and schitzotypal personality and during those tests they had me on prozac and other medicines that if youactually read the side effect list they include hallucinations and suicide attempts and aggressive

i do not have those problems when not on those medicines so if you take away the symptoms from the side effects all you have left is aspergers since to diagnose those personality types you need to have poor impulse control and suicide attempts and being aggressive and these doctors could not be bothered to try and diagnose me when not on the medicines to not see the side effects

Last edited by jamieg on 19 Mar 2009, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

19 Mar 2009, 12:08 am

ephemerella wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:
Here was something else I learned about me when I was 18. Adjustment disorder. When my mom was signing me up for SSI, she was talking to them on and the phone and telling them all my problems I have and she mentioned I was seeing my therapist for Adjustment disorder. I don't know much about it. I never bothered to keep reading about it. I'm not really sure if I still have it or if I was ever diagnosed with it.

I was diagnosed with that as a teenager. It's a misdiagnosis that someone could easily slap on AS people or anyone with social disorder.

It's a meaningless diagnosis that basically tries to cover people that aren't fitting in and adjusting to some circumstance as expected.

I agree. I looked it up online after making that post and decided it was also another bogus condition. I rarely mention I have it because I don't really think about it. It did say on a webpage many people have it so I was like okay so it's not a condition then is it? It's a normal problem everyone has when they lose a job or get a new one or move to another city, move houses, get a divorce or get dumped by their partner, etc. I do fine with new jobs and did fine after I wasn't with my two ex's anymore so not every single person has lot of stress when they get those. I guess it depends on the situation the person is facing. When we moved into a new house when I was 16 my parents built, it was real stressful because the house wasn't quite finished and then my dad brings home a puppy and it made my anxiety worse and my AS seemed worse too. I was happy when had moved in but it was still stressful. I was already having problems then. I think it's a temporary thing people have so to make it a condition is ridiculous I think.

Last edited by Spokane_Girl on 19 Mar 2009, 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 12:13 am

Social anxiety disorder, panic disorder with agoraphobia, chronic depression, and possible PTSD. Me and my shrink just started looking into the PTSD, so I can't say for sure if they are going to diagnose it. The cause/symtoms are there.

Those who know, don't speak.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 12:17 am

With so much symptoms we have, I think we really have a huge challenge to overcome through in order to succeed in our lives... Sigh.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 1:23 am

ADHD-NOS.

I like the NOS.

My ADHD seems definitely largely independent from my ASD.

It wouldn't make sense (to me) that impulsivity and being scatterbrained and unable to plan stem from the same condition that makes me thoughtful, makes me cling to routines and makes me an extraordinary planner.

Some symptoms seem to chancel each other to a degree such as the above, while others get worse.

Such as having been totally oblivious about social rules prior to therapy, because I not only do not develop them naturally but also was too distracted to take notice of their obvious existence.

I appear quite bizarre to others because I sometimes react typically ADHD and sometimes typically ASD.

I might be up for a sudden trip to the unknown (that even non-autistic people have issues with) and at another time might totally meltdown because someone interrupts me watching a film.

silentbob15
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 1:35 am

Well I have the following mental issues besides Aspergers
PTSD
ADHD
Dyslexia
Anxiety
Depression

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 1:38 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
... It's a normal problem everyone has when they lose a job or get a new one or move to another city, move houses, get a divorce or get dumped by their partner, etc. I do fine with new jobs and did fine after I wasn't with my two ex's anymore so not every single person has lot of stress when they get those. I guess it depends on the situation the person is facing. When we moved into a new house when I was 16 my parents built, it was real stressful because the house wasn't quite finished and then my dad brings home a puppy and it made my anxiety worse and my AS seemed worse too. I was happy when had moved in but it was still stressful. I was already having problems then. I think it's a temporary thing people have so to make it a condition is ridiculous I think.

Oh definitely. It's not anything bad, really, in my opinion, or an actual pathological condition. It's just a label to say "not adjusted to <fill in the blank> situation".

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 2:04 am

I was diagnosed with PDD and ADHD as a kid before AS was even an acutal diagnosis. I probably have some form of bipolar too.

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 4:56 am

Anxiety, predisposition to depression, Anorexia/Bulimia and past Psychosis. All are connected to AS as far as I can tell.

carltcwc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Mar 2009, 6:54 am

current dx's-
aspergers, schizoaffective-bipolar type, adhd-innattentive type, learning disorder nos w/ dyslexic & dysgraphic features and slow learning

past dx's- schizotypal personality disorder, cyclothymia, pdd-nos, major depression with mood incongruent psychotic features, dysthymia, tics, obsessive compulsive disorder, anxiety, borderline personality disorder, inadequate personality disorder, sleep disorder, auditory processing disorder, sensory intergration dysfunction.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 7:38 am

I've experienced most of the anxiety disorders at some time in my life, as well as clinical depression, or whatever it is called today.

I see them as side-effects of the ASD, rather than individual and separate entities. Most doctors I've seen agree. Sure, not everyone with an ASD will experience these things, but if one is predisposed to developing one, the stress of having an ASD will easily induce it.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 8:37 am

Bipolar Disorder
Severe Anxiety Disorder (which is secondary to AS)
Nonverbal Learning Disability (secondary to AS)

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 8:41 am

ASD's are considered neurological, whereas mental disorders are psychiatric.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 8:41 am

Depression, PTSD, and ADHD. Pretty typical autism comorbids. I've had a couple of specific phobias but neither are diagnosable anymore.

I'm really interested in how having bipolar changes your social functioning... what happens when you're hypomanic? Fully manic? We know what happens with depression--withdrawal and poor functioning--but in NTs, being hypomanic often makes them more social, just as it also makes them more likely to take risks, do dangerous things, and end up killing themselves or contracting stds... of course there's the mixed-state thing, which can be truly unpleasant and come right out of a (hypo)mania... But I think research on bipolar autistic people might shed some light on the mood-related component of autism, if there is one.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com