Anyone have mental disorders besides ASD?

Page 2 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Liresse
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Mar 2009, 8:31 pm

although, without scientific labels, none of us have "conditions," we're just antisocial, selfish, dysfunctional and unresponsive losers who fail at life.

i'm ok with that label, anyone else? :wink:

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 8:32 pm

I was diagnosed with major depression in 2000 at age 20.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 8:37 pm

I disagree. I am a loser with thousands of social/mental/educational pronlems but I have been incredibly successful both at a personal level and a a financial level Being autistic is not a social death sentence.

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 8:40 pm

Liresse wrote:
although, without scientific labels, none of us have "conditions," we're just antisocial, selfish, dysfunctional and unresponsive losers who fail at life.

If you're okay with calling NTs social, selfish, dysfunctional and affected phonies who fail at being real people.

If one kind of generalization is valid, then so must be the other kind.

Last edited by ephemerella on 18 Mar 2009, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CMaximus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Mar 2009, 8:40 pm

Meh, I'll bite, wth... Generallized anxiety disorder, mild ADHD and somewhat poor short term memory. (Overall, highly variable and unreliable functional efficacy, though not bad at the best of times)

Last edited by CMaximus on 18 Mar 2009, 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

18 Mar 2009, 8:41 pm

Put it this way, I look at conditions doctors have come up with and I don't always agree it's a condition and it's just their personality and nothing wrong with it so I say it's made up.
So some people see autism and see it as a personality, different way of thinking, not a disability so they don't agree it's a condition or a disability. I think they are seeing this the same way I see adult baby syndrome, gender identity disorder, asexuality and other conditions I don't agree with that are conditions but just who they are and the way they are.

Liresse
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Mar 2009, 8:51 pm

ephemerella wrote:
Liresse wrote:

If you're okay with calling NTs social, selfish, dysfunctional and affected phonies who fail at being real people.

If one kind of generalization is valid, then so must be the other kind.
i meant that in response to gary saying "No scientist can speak to mind which makes one wonder about science."

i am not sure what you are trying to say ephemerella... sorry

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 8:52 pm

I guess that if you really want to mix it up at the local bar you call some guy or some girl an Aspie and that'll get everybodies blood boiling.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 9:09 pm

I'm diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, Bipolar I Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, depression with psychotic features, and Schizoaffective Disorder. I don't know if I really have enough symptoms to be diagnosed with some of those disorders.

kaitlyn_loves_music
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Mar 2009, 9:14 pm

i was recently diagnosed with PTSD & social anxiety.
in the past i was diagnosed with depression, schizophrenia, and ADD.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 9:17 pm

I've been diagnosed with severe depression, social anxiety disorder and I think I may be bipolar.
The severe depression was a crock. It was probably the stress of my relationship or PMDD which I got from the pill. My severe depression diagnosis was 3 months after I started using the pill.
My social anxiety was from not living up to my boyfriends social standards. I had weekly anxiety attacks, but at the time I wasn't sure what was happening to me.

ZodRau
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Mar 2009, 9:44 pm

ephemerella wrote:
ZodRau wrote:
...ASD is neurological, and theoretically a difference in physical structure of the brain. Bi-polar is attributed to faulty neurotransmitter output and uptake - more of a biochemical problem than structural. Schizophrenia is both structural and biochemical. Anxiety and personality disorders are triggered by one's environment. 'Mental' as opposed to 'Physical.'

Interesting that you would divide up the categories that way.

I tend to be fine with people who have organic psychiatric problems -- AS, bipolar, schizophrenics, etc.

I can be okay with people who have neuroses, depending on their underlying personalities. I myself have occasional bouts of anxiety disorder.

I have a very negative reaction to being around people with personality and identity disorders.

It is nature vs. nurture. No amount of cognitive therapy(mental) will change physical attributes. Drug therapy used in developmental disabilities takes a 'blunt object' approach, typically tranquilizing so one isn't a bother to self or others with their non neurotypical thoughts and behaviors.

Drug therapy can be a decent stop-gap measure for dealing with neurosis and personality disorders, but cognitive therapy can bring about a more or less full cure for these conditions, making the drugs unnecessary.

I have at one time or another over 30-some years as a 'mental health consumer' been officially DXed with borderline and narcissitic personality disorders, bi-polar, panic disorder, and schizoaffective disorder. I disagree with all of these diagnosis except the for the panic disorder. I am scheduled for an autism evaluation in May.

So um yeah, Gary. I'm rather familiar with the DSM.

Last edited by ZodRau on 18 Mar 2009, 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 9:48 pm

Social Phobia
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Those are the major things.

http://xelebes.wordpress.com/
My Blog

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 9:58 pm

I meant that no science has yet addressed what mind is or does or even it it exists.
The DSM is a moving target so A lot of people only use the manual as a door stop. It is very good, along with Strongs. Big books do have a useful purpose after they are memorized.

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 10:02 pm

kaitlyn_loves_music wrote:
i was recently diagnosed with PTSD & social anxiety.
in the past i was diagnosed with depression, schizophrenia, and ADD.

yes, but you are gorgeously and so cute :)

i think i got a little baseline congenital depression and apathy going on. it never bothered me and i'm perfectly happy with it - it's the frikkin NTs that have a problem with it..

Last edited by Learning2Survive on 18 Mar 2009, 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 10:26 pm

Nothing but Asperger's.

I kept well away from shrinks in my younger days out of sheer instinct, and after my experiences of psychiatry while seeking a dx I keep well away from them now, too.

I wonder if it's more of an American phenomenon to have multiple dx'es. Psychiatry has always been more popular there.