whats the difference with asd and aspergers

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

pomanda
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Mar 2009, 6:34 pm

im not sure of the difference with autisum, and aspergers.
my little girl hates it when anyone approaches her, including close family. she tells them to leave her, go away, and hides her face. the only person she will accept is me.
she hates to be touched by anyone, especially picked up or cuddled, only by me. i have to do everything for her, she wont let anyone else. she does give eye contact to me, no problem. she hates loud noises like the hoover, and wind in her face, or sunlight.
she wont be covered up in bed, or wrapped in a towel after a bath, she hates being dried, or having her hair brushed or teeth.
she doesnt sleep through the night, she wakes up at least 3 times needing a drink.
she lines cars up, and is good with puzzles. Her memory is excellent, and her speech is like an adults. but she often doesnt seem to understand what you are saying to her.
she is very clingy with me, and wants to be picked up and held, or sat on my knee.
her ot says she is tactile defensive!
i would really like to know if she will ever let anyone else help her, does it get better for her and does this sound like aspergers or autisum. or is it something else compleatly different, im so confused, and i suppose scared too. i dont know what to exspect!

Dark_Red_Beloved
Toucan
Toucan

18 Mar 2009, 8:15 pm

Hi Pomanda,

Autism and Aspergers are both under the same umbrella category(Pervasive Developmental Disorders in the DSM. People with Asperger's Syndrome display no delay in language and have average to above average IQ. Overall, people with Asperger's are capable of functioning in everyday life, but tend to be somewhat socially immature and may be seen by others as odd or eccentric.

Autistic people often have delayed language development and prefer to spend time alone. Some people with autism experience what is described as "sensory overload": Sounds seem louder, lights brighter, or smells stronger. Although many people with autism also have mental retardation, some are of average or high intelligence -- the severity of autism varies widely.

Maybe this link will help.

http://www.pediatricneurology.com/autism.htm

The site goes into depth distinguishing between disorders if needed, but little ways down are two topics that maybe more directly related to your question.

*Autistic Disorder (Autism)
*Asperger's Syndrome

Hope this helps
:)

Dee_
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Mar 2009, 4:42 am

Dark_Red_Beloved wrote:
Hi Pomanda,

Autistic people often have delayed language development and prefer to spend time alone. Some people with autism experience what is described as "sensory overload": Sounds seem louder, lights brighter, or smells stronger. Although many people with autism also have mental retardation, some are of average or high intelligence -- the severity of autism varies widely.

Hope this helps
:)

Besides me, I have an older sister that is diagnosed with autism.
She has an IQ of ~70. She also has a few more alphabet diagnosis.

I am also an Autistic and still have issues with verbal communications as well as sensory overload.... Sound is first, then lights. I prefer to be alone and have difficulties cultivating friendships with other people. An IQ between 144-162 yet can be dumb as a bag of bricks in some things. I do not think of myself being all that smart... The more I learn the more I realise I do not know and the dumber I feel, lol.

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 11:07 am

Nice to meet and welcome you to the Wrong Planet, pomanda. You may wish to check out the Parents Forum here on WP: http://www.wrongplanet.net/forum19.html