Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

khelben1979
Toucan
Toucan

18 Mar 2009, 11:54 pm

When it comes to martial arts, what sports do you feel that you don't want to be participant in?

This is how I feel:

- wrestling
- capoeira
- jujutsu
- karate
- kickboxing
- naginata
and
- shootfighting

and sports which I feel that I would like to train:
+ Kendo
+ Traditional fencing
+ Kyudo
+ Iaido
+ Aikido

I must also point out that this is just how I feel at the present, but I usually don't feel any different from day to day, month to month or whatever... So this is how I feel in general and one more thing: I haven't tested all the sports which I have noted down as negative, so if I did I might not feel what I do today (you'll never know for sure, but I suspect that I won't change much). I decided to train Kendo myself because of how I felt with using my arms from my history with playing table tennis (swedish word for it: pingis).

LordKristov
Toucan
Toucan

19 Mar 2009, 6:37 am

Since I was about knee-high to a grasshopper, I have been interested in martial arts myself. Never had more than a few lessons myself, but now that I am older it is likely something I would take up. My biggest problem is money for lessons, though.

Here are some styles I would probably consider for myself, though.

Juijutsu, Tae Kwon Do, Aikido, Kung Fu, Capoeira, Muay Thai, Escrima

I can't really say I have any negative opinion about a particular form, though.

Jton
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Mar 2009, 12:07 am

I have been in Choi-Doh, which is a variation of Tae Kwon Do. I don't really have any negative views about forms, except wrestling. May have to learn something about it, but I'm just not willing to do it.

biscuitpaws
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Mar 2009, 10:53 am

Haha, no naginata? Is it because it's got the reputation as a girl's martial art? I would *love* to try that.

OK, I love martial arts and used to practice kendo and iaido for years and competed in some kendo tournaments in the ikkyu/shodan level. Unfortunately I had to stop for several complicated reasons but I miss it a great deal.

I considered picking up kyudo because it's so lovely, and I tagged along with a friend to his kyudo club once, but it was very expensive (the bow, the leather glove, uniform, the club dues, etc.)

But your question was what do I not want to try. I'd try anything as I love martial arts in general, but I gotta say I have very little interest in doing muay thai boxing, kickboxing, or anything that is very intensively physical, involves hits to areas like the face, or any sort of gymnastic-type moves like handstands or flipping.

khelben1979
Toucan
Toucan

23 Mar 2009, 11:07 am

biscuitpaws wrote:
Haha, no naginata? Is it because it's got the reputation as a girl's martial art? I would *love* to try that.

:)

It's not just my style.

Your_Kisa
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Apr 2009, 11:29 pm

It's not all about mastering everystyle, being a truly good martial artist is about mastering just a few techniques and dominating in them (however, balancing striking with grappling, and perhaps with weapons in which all 3 styles are harmonious and individual of one another could never hurt).

LordKristov
Toucan
Toucan

09 Apr 2009, 9:47 am

I've been looking into schools and/or clubs where I live, and some of the costs are not as high as I originally thought. I'll need to get some soft contact lenses before I begin any kind of martial arts study, though. Also trying to take my current activities into account as well. As of right now, I have it narrowed down to Judo and/or Hung Gar Kung Fu. Hopefully something will pan out within the next month or so.

*keeps fingers crossed*