Arranged marriage or Christian Courtship 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Arranged marriage or Christian Courtship 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 390

tanuki
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Aug 2005, 4:25 pm

I'm 23 and never been out on a date.

I've had two relationships I considered 'serious'. One was an Internet relationship and lasted about a month.

The other was in first grade.

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother. I should just become a eunuch and live as a hermit.

fahreeq
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2005, 4:50 pm

I never really "dated" regularly. I had the occasional boyfriend in high school, but nothing that lasted any longer than 2 months. I was 16 when I went on my first official date. My mom had to drive us to the movie theater, where we played tonsil hockey during the entire movie. How sweet. :roll:

I met my ex (commonly referred to as Jackass) when I was 18 and we were together for 2.5 years. It was a serious relationship - seriously bad, that is. Yeesh.

I took a break from dating when I moved out that lasted 2 years. I went on a couple of dates here and there, but nothing serious. In fact, bad dates strengthened my resolve to stay single for a long period of time, because I didn't want to wind up with another Jackass. I met my current boyfriend in May of this year.

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2005, 6:02 pm

When I was 14 I dated 2 NT's.I didn't really enjoy it though.

-SpaceCase :D

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2005, 2:27 am

I haven't dated yet. I don't like the concept of the contemporary western dating system, so I plan on sticking with an old fashioned courtship when the time comes.

kitkatsavvy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Aug 2005, 2:39 am

hey sean i totally agree.. i dont think ive ever been on an "official" date either.... well at least ive never been to dinner or been taken to some food place with a man yet... i think ive done the courtship thingie tho LOL aah dear. ie meet up here. drive there.... talk here. whatever i do lol

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2005, 2:48 am

The whole concept of fishing for a romantic relationship from a relative stranger, having the relatinship not work out, and fishing for a relatinship with another relative stranger seems absurd and both financially and emotionally exhausting. My parents Marriage started as a courtship and they've been together 28 years. By younger brother's marriage was kind of a courtship as well.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2005, 3:15 am

oh, i LOVE the idea of an old fashioned courtship. then you know exactly where you are.

nice to know there are still some people out there who think the same. :)

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2005, 5:04 am

vetivert wrote:
oh, i LOVE the idea of an old fashioned courtship. then you know exactly where you are.

nice to know there are still some people out there who think the same. :)

8O We agree on something??? :?:

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2005, 5:41 am

'fraid so, hon. and probably on lots of other stuff as well. :)

don't give up on me just yet, eh? ;)

kitkatsavvy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Aug 2005, 7:38 am

i agree TOO!! yayay 3 pple who agree with something.. mm it seems rare for me these days lol

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2005, 7:58 am

The greatest webcomic on the internet can be pretty insightful sometimes.

tanuki
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Aug 2005, 4:31 pm

What, precisely, is "courtship" intended to mean in this context?

TaliDaRadical
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Aug 2005, 9:30 pm

Courtship is a compromise between modern Western-style dating and arranged marriage. You get to pick the boyfriend, but he must be approved by your parents, all dates have to be supervised, and you don't date anyone whom you don't intend to marry. Asian Americans, Latinos, and Arab-Americans have been doing this for years to acclimate to the American dating norm, and some non-ethnic people who are very religious do it as well.

kitkatsavvy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Aug 2005, 1:31 am

uh oh.. ive never told my parents about any of my bf's... well maybe ill choose the dating option instead lol.. i dont give a crap if my parents were to approve or not.. yike

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2005, 5:15 am

TaliDaRadical wrote:
Courtship is a compromise between modern Western-style dating and arranged marriage. You get to pick the boyfriend, but he must be approved by your parents, all dates have to be supervised, and you don't date anyone whom you don't intend to marry. Asian Americans, Latinos, and Arab-Americans have been doing this for years to acclimate to the American dating norm, and some non-ethnic people who are very religious do it as well.

oh. this wasn't quite what i meant by it.

i shudder to think who my mum (my dad's dead) would choose for me... 8O

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2005, 5:05 am

I started when I was 15; I can't really say that I really wanted to start it, since when he asked if I wanted to go out, I thought he meant out on a date to see if I wanted to be his girlfriend. I don't know if it's the average boyfriend/girlfriend closeness; it's mainly us just sitting down to lunch at school, and him playing cards with his buddies, and me sitting down in the backround. He knows I'm a Christian, and he tries not to swear or anything, but sometimes he just does it because of his lack of self-control. I seriously don't think we're that close together as a usual couple. Whatever, it's just high school, right? I mean, I can't believe that some people in high school actually think of being married to their boyfriend/girlfriend that they've only been with a week, then they think twice, then by Friday, everything is just ruined, and then they break up. I don't quite understand what they were thinking of marriage. Oh well, that wasn't part of the subject, but it was sort of about dating.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.