Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 2:21 pm

I have played many games some stay dear to me and some are forgotten pretty quickly, I don't get hyped over games (only one, WoW but I quit cuz that's a trap) but I like the feeling they give me and the visual effects in todays games. Especially Role playing games.

A couple of months ago I played and finished Mass Effect.

I will never forget this game.

GAME SPOT: MASS EFFECT

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gZK15KcA2k[/youtube]

[ + ]

+ best game you will ever play

+ for X-BOX 360 and PC

+ Mass Effect 2 is coming soon as well... :cheers:

[ - ]

- requires a super computer (or a XBOX 360)

:::)

metelz
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Mar 2009, 2:29 pm

I liked it a lot but it deffinetly wasn't the best game. Moral choices were too black and white and the combat was very clunky.

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 2:47 pm

morale choices were a bit weak but this game satisfied me beyond expectation, yeah not worlds best game but one of the titans in my opinion.

:::)

Fidget
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Mar 2009, 2:47 pm

One of my favorite parts of the game is the character depth and backstories. I think I've posted before that I find Kaiden and Joker's backstories in particular very interesting. The whole leveling up thing and different armor and weapons is kind of pointless to me in this game. I went through the entire game with default armor and a pistol.

z0rp
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 4:31 pm

Never bothered with it, I also heard the PC port of it isn't that great..

Prosser
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 7:03 pm

I would say it's almost a most play. Very nice though

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 8:07 pm

The PC version of the game is great, superior to the Xbox 360 version technically and from a UI perspective. The game is one of my most recent favorites. The only problem I had with it was some of the sidequests were dull, and some environments were reused ad nauseum.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 5:51 am

Mass effect was pretty good, I found some parts pretty clunky with having to go through the elevator all the time to properly distribute weapons to team and sell unwanted equipment because of weight. It was very simular to kotor2, the game was a bit tiresome, but the graphics in it were very nice, I especialy like how Seran being changed and the end scene was good. I also enjoyed the background information when I had the time, I gained some knoeledge of the races, technology and characters, though I didn't quite agree ith the time frame of humanity being so far ahead in the near future. On another note I also quite liked the idea of the omni tool, though I mostly played with the psychic powers.

MegaAndy
Toucan
Toucan

23 Mar 2009, 3:19 pm

Awsum game and thank you for calling my pc a super computer :wink: but its too short and you cant play it once its completed which really annoyed me

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 7:44 pm

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
The PC version of the game is great, superior to the Xbox 360 version technically and from a UI perspective. The game is one of my most recent favorites. The only problem I had with it was some of the sidequests were dull, and some environments were reused ad nauseum.

Yeah they could have done the side quests a bit better, but if you just play the required planets (use the "continue career" option to start with a character you previously beat the game with... you lose all your equipment, but you keep the level and skills), the plot stays relatively interesting throughout...

The main problem with Mass Effect is that they added all the FPS elements in. I liked Kotor's turn-based system better than this. I guess in order to be able to drive the Mako around, you need to be able to play in real-time. However, the change in gameplay removed a lot of the more strategic aspects of gameplay that I liked about Kotor... I certianly loved going into stealth mode, dropping 12 frag mines between me and a bunch of opponents, and kiting them across that minefield...

zerooftheday
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Mar 2009, 11:50 am

I loved that game. Great storyline, didn't see much of it coming. I really enjoyed the combat and leveling systems. Gotta love that female-human/asexual alien love scene that had the media going nuts, I was cracking up when I finally got there. I've seen more in PG-13 movies.

My three complaints were the very long load times (elevators count), the really high number of reused rooms on the minor planets, and the fact that I thought that for all the money they spent, the starship battles were totally lame. I mean, in the face of great graphics for the rest of the game, they should have spent some extra on the cutscenes. That final battle looked like it was rendered several years ago. No particles for exploding ships, nothing.

Oh, and I absolutely enjoyed the persistent benefits of completing the game after having gotten a skill-use achievement. A soldier char with one of the spell-force-whatever powers was a lot of fun. The tank was fun too.

robo37
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2009, 1:51 pm

I've just finnished the ame last week, and it is one of my 5 all time favourite games. (along side Halo 3, Fallout 3, Fable and Soul Calibre 4)

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2009, 9:15 pm

It does have one of the few moments in video gaming that I found actually touching.

Create a character with the background "Sole Survivor". He/she will have been the only human survivor of a batarian raid on the colony world Mindoir.

The second time you go to the Citadel, you will be asked to intervene on behalf of one of the port officers. A young woman was recently rescued by Alliance Marines from a batarian slave camp, and is freaking out all over the docking bay (near the Normandy, as it happens). They want to defuse the situation by giving her a sedative, so she can be treated for her various mental disorder resulting from years of mistreatment at the slavers' hands. As the sole survivor of Mindoir, you are asked to talk her down. Try to choose the gentlest conversational options, so that you can get to the point where you can offer to let her take the sedative herself. During the conversation, she refers to herself in the third person ("because if they can't see her, then it all happened to someone else"), uses vocabulary appropriate to a child, and describes the attack as best she can ("The masters come with hoses and fire. Daddy's coming apart - he's melting! Don't make her see it any more!").

If you manage it, when you offer the sedative, she asks, "Will she have bad dreams?"

I replied, "Only good dreams."

She smiled and said, "She'd like that," then injected herself with the sedative.