Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 9:29 pm

I decided to go ahead with my experiment. I filmed this from my safety box and kept a good distance from this with my goggles and gloves. Enjoy :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55nJOAsx ... annel_page

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 9:54 pm

haha why does it bubble, smoke, and burn?????

QuantumCowboy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 10:53 pm

Always good to see people actually experimenting. Keep it up!

You never know what you may learn.

And remember, in the pursuit of science, human safety is of no consequence! :lol:

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 2:06 am

What else have you tried doing, I have seen sodium metal react with water. But I do not like it as I am well aware that the reaction has great potential to bite back.

By the way if you are planning on trying the experiment with potassium metal then take great care, do not try to cut old potassium metal as it can form a peroxide crust on the surface. Also K metal and water is much more nasty than either Li or Na and water.

QuantumCowboy is wrong, your health and safety should be viewed as the most important thing. I am well aware of many people in science who have damaged themselves, do not let yourself be the next one.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 2:13 am

Here is a film about potassium, this is something not to ever try at home !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPdevJTGAYY&NR=1

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

QuantumCowboy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 9:57 am

Quote:
QuantumCowboy is wrong, your health and safety should be viewed as the most important thing. I am well aware of many people in science who have damaged themselves, do not let yourself be the next one.

I thought it would be obvious that I am being facetious. Perhaps not. :roll:

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 10:13 am

try burning magnesium - the purple stuff. it sparks!

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 2:16 am

QuantumCowboy wrote:
Quote:

I thought it would be obvious that I am being facetious. Perhaps not. :roll:

Sorry if I offended you but I thought that you were one of the people who think that the "noble cause" makes it good and right to take risks which at other times and places would not be OK to take.

By the way magnesium is not purple, it burns with a white light which I think is blackbody radiation from the very hot reaction.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2009, 11:46 pm

Woodpecker wrote:
What else have you tried doing, I have seen sodium metal react with water. But I do not like it as I am well aware that the reaction has great potential to bite back.

By the way if you are planning on trying the experiment with potassium metal then take great care, do not try to cut old potassium metal as it can form a peroxide crust on the surface. Also K metal and water is much more nasty than either Li or Na and water.

It was not water that I threw the sodium in. It was Chlorox Bleach

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2009, 2:55 pm

I have never tried sodium and bleach, is the bleach in question a chlorine bleach such as NaOCl ?

I suspect that NaOCl solution will not react much faster with sodium than plain water, but I have never tried it out. The sodium will react with the water to form solvated electrons, these will then react with protons to form hydrogen gas. The same reaction occurs when you put sodium into liquid ammonia but the lifetime of the solvated electron is much much longer in that solvent.

The interesting thing is that the solvated electron is deep blue in colour, but due to the short lifetime in water you can not see it. I would love to have eyes that worked on the nanosecond timescale, I would be able to see so many more things happening.

If you check the data obtained by pulse radiolysis or other high speed experiments you could find out what the solvated electrons do to OCl anions. I do not know what happens off the top of my head so I would have to check the literature.

I think that after a while that flames and bangs become less interesting, I have found the calmer slower reactions in chemistry to be more interesting.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2009, 12:02 am

Yes it was Chlorine Bleach that I threw it in.

Zand
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Apr 2009, 3:01 am

Well it was interesting thank you for the video. Now I'm tempted to get into this stuff myself.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2009, 7:08 pm

which would probably result in salt? (note- not a chemist, but NaCl and all, y'know...;) Plus a lot of Oxygen (probably used in the fire, etc)