Page 8 of 8 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 11:56 pm

My first association with the image below was an association with De Efteling. The Efteling is a fairytale park somewhere in a part of the world that is called Nederlands
Holle Bolle Gijs, "Paper here, Thank you" he cried all day long there in Kaatsheuvel.
I would not be surprised if Gijs has become slimmer since the lockdown, he will have received less food.
However, the gentleman in the picture is someone else, it must represent Robert Darwin. Robert is Charles's father.
It is a painting, and with paint and brush it is a breeze to give someone a bit more weight than the actual size.
Perhaps in the Victorian era it was a sign of prosperity to have a chunky appearance. On the other hand, Robert was a doctor, and doctor and obesity is not common these days. From what I understand they had no shortage of finances in the Darwin family, and therefore no shortage of food seems to me. I am for the freedom of the individual, so I agree with Robert that he eats his belly full.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 3:24 am

Everything that arises will sooner or later disappear again. Nothing in the universe will last forever. You can like this, you cannot like this, evolution is blind, just like humans, so evolution will go its own way. Human consciousness is only a spectator. That something that once originated is also the case on the Galapagos Islands. A rock formation, a kind of gate, the "Darwin-Arch" is no more, gravity has taken possession of the gate.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 1:55 am

Evolution does not tell how life originated, evolution tells how life has developed over time. Although evolution does not provide an answer as to how life ever originated, it still undermines some foundations of religion.

"Something is not nice, therefore it is not true" :|

People make a very big fallacy when they say that something is not true because it is not fun. Things that are not nice can still be true. Jerry Bergman is one of those people who can't stomach evolution. In an extensive book he sabers down the view of Charles Darwin. The book is available in PDF format in the link. Bergman's rhetoric and frustration is very present. You cannot break an iron with your hands, so evolution will nevertheless manifest itself in the universe in a blind and autonomous way.

Quote:
THE DARK SIDE OF CHARLES DARWIN
A Critical Analysis of an Icon of Science
Jerry Bergman

http://sarkoups.free.fr/darwinbergman.pdf

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 2:51 am

24 Nov 212 N~D.

Today it has been 162 since Charles Darwin published 'On the Origin of Species' (50 N~D)
Numerous improved versions have been written/appeared since those 162 years, and will no doubt continue to be the case for the next 162 years. Nevertheless, i see November 24, 50 N~D as a major kilometer-stone mile-stone for humanity.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 2:21 am

Congratulations, Mr. Darwin, on your 213th birthday. :heart:
Have a nice day as well to Emma and the children!

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2022, 9:07 am

"Stolen Darwin journals returned to Cambridge University library"

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... ty-library

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2022, 4:16 pm

I like Darwin. He seems to have been a diligent, honest thinker.

I don't suppose he was the only exponent of the evolution thing, but it was from his work that I got the idea, and it makes sense to me. In fact it more than makes sense, I don't see how evolution could be a false idea. If you've got something that reproduces itself, with a bit of random mutation in the mix, and then dies, then the mutations that are fittest for survival will survive best and you'll end up with a preponderance of them.

I also like his idea that we're part of the evolution of life, a member of the family rather than something qualitatively different from it. Again, I don't see how that could be wrong.

So he probably changed my life by showing me those ideas about what we are and how life ticks. It's also reassuring to see that although he was an Aspie, he managed to throw some light on the mystery of what we are, light that a lot of people have found useful.

PenPen
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Apr 2022, 5:33 pm

https://prolifiko.com/epic-procrastinat ... ting-fear/

His legendary procrastination is relatable; if he wasn't so agreeable, I'd wonder if he had autism himself.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2022, 11:41 pm

PenPen wrote:
https://prolifiko.com/epic-procrastination-what-darwins-delay-teaches-us-about-writing-fear/

His legendary procrastination is relatable; if he wasn't so agreeable, I'd wonder if he had autism himself.

I read that he was often late for school because of getting distracted on his way by various aspects of nature that caught his attention and made him forget the time. Sounds kind of familiar, doesn't it?

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2022, 2:40 am

Because I have a busy day on Tuesday 19 April, I bring forward the anniversary of Darwin's death.

Notthing wil be forever, not even a forum, we come and we go :idea: .
That reincarnation might be a nice thought for some, but not really for me.

There are several dogs called Fikkie. And so it is with homo sapiens who were born with the name Charles Darwin. Fifteen minutes ago I came across the image below.

brane75
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Apr 2022, 4:54 pm

First and foremost, Darwin changed the biology dramatically. Probably the most profound discovery since then.

Now, to the science/religion conflict he seemingly caused - Regarding reincarnation mentioned above, "we come and we go" is the basic concept of birth and rebirth in Hinduism (a.k.a. Samsara). And regarding the religious perspective of changing my life; it personally didn't. The science-religion discord originated due to Victorian age disagreements that spread out far wide. Also, one the fundamental basis of evolution is to "breed and multiply", like it's implied in Genesis.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2022, 9:21 am

I have great faith in Charles Darwin's theory of evolution, the broad outlines are not even a theory for me, but a fact. I do view the details as a theory.

There is a curious mechanism in my mind when people disagree with me. If people disagree with me, these people's thinking only makes me stronger in my mind. When I hear people proclaim things that are the same as my own views, it often confuses me. Contradictions are much more obvious to me. This mechanism also applies to people who think that Darwin and his teachings are outright lies/nonsense.

So thank you, Benjamin Wiker, Miroslaw Orzechowski and Erdogan.

"Keep Darwin's 'lies' out of schools: Polish official"

https://www.dnaindia.com/world/report-k ... al-1058490

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2023, 9:15 am

12 Februari :)
Happy birthday Charles Darwin.

JimJohn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Feb 2023, 10:17 am

I doubt he was the first to come up with idea. If it wasn’t backed up by further data it would have been cast by the wayside. Many people probably had the same idea. I imagine he just liked to travel, draw and write. It is like the Wright brothers inventing the airplane. It was basically a kite, and many people before them made kites and thought about making kites. You can’t really say they invented international air travel.

JimJohn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Feb 2023, 10:25 am

It is a well known human bias fallacy to add a single face to a story or to even make the story to begin with. I don’t know how anyone expects to analyze anything without taking into account human bias.