Page 1 of 8 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2005, 1:58 pm

So how has Charles Darwin Changed Our Lives.

SB2
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2005, 2:03 pm

He hasn't.

He was simply another observationist, who had a typewriter. he hasn't specifically done anything to better or worsen my life. Except my middle is his first name. Good job to him on that.

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2005, 2:09 pm

I think that he's helped us to understand the workings of the animal kingdom, so that we can see how, for instance, the modern bird is remotely related to the ancient dinosaur. Its helped us to see how certain animals find a niche in their environment and how these species will change as the niche changes through very slow random mutations.

This has changed my life by giving me something to obsess about as a youngster :P

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2005, 3:06 pm

Would we have got to evolution without him? Quite possibly, but not perhaps so soon.

For the West, he was part of a major controversy over religious authority, truth, and the nature of the bible. That's still going on.

I've just finished (mostly) digesting "The Robot's Rebellion: finding meaning in the age of Darwin" by Keith E Stanovich

Chapter one is entitled "Staring into the Darwinian abyss" and quotes George Bernard Shaw: "...when its whole significance dawns on you, your heart sinks into a heap of sand within you..." though there is later discussion on whether that is the right conclusion.

Rather like quantum theory, if it does not shock you, you have not understood it.
And that may be a more comfortable place to be!

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2005, 3:10 pm

Emettman wrote:
For the West, he was part of a major controversy over religious authority, truth, and the nature of the bible. That's still going on.

In some areas of the US and Third World, maybe. But not in these parts, old chap.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2005, 3:42 pm

He was the first to explain natural selection. :D :lol: :twisted:

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2005, 4:00 pm

ascan wrote:
...not in these parts, old chap.

Can I move nearer you?

I still need a tin hat occasionally, for the dropping bits of flak.

And due to the global village effect, I'm in touch with a variety of Americans, of a variety of persuasions

Ladysmokeater
Veteran
Veteran

Location: North of Atlanta, South of Boston, East of the Mississippi, and West of the Atlantic

31 Dec 2005, 4:25 pm

well Im surprised that his pic isnt right next to Stalin and hitler in my neck of the woods....

its a theroy. Why do people have to take it personally? Oh I forgot, minds here closed like the stores on Sunday.

I think Darwin had a intresting point, though I cant say if his theroy or some one elses is more fact than idea.

His ideas sure changed how people want schools run here I can say that.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2005, 5:36 pm

Emettman wrote:
ascan wrote:
...not in these parts, old chap.

Can I move nearer you?

I still need a tin hat occasionally, for the dropping bits of flak.

erm... don't you mean a tin foil hat?

/me laughs herself sick.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2005, 5:59 pm

He had interesting theories, but they were only theories and still are.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2005, 7:17 pm

vetivert wrote:

erm... don't you mean a tin foil hat?

No, not even to protect me from Oddball's feared "negative waves",
cosmic rays, or the CIA out for mind control.

"I always thought we were meant to lie down or put a paper bag over our head or something"

"If you like, yes."

"Will that help?

"No."

Larval
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2005, 8:34 pm

Darwin introduced a very useful idea into biological science.

Once that has been shown to have applications beyond biological science (e.g. Genetic Algorithms etc).

The theory is more or less as proven as any scientific theory can be (but the thing with science is that theories are NEVER proven - they are only disproven).

Combined with Mendel's work, the realm of genetics was founded - the utlity of which is debatable. :?

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2006, 2:16 am

I think Charles Darwin has forever change Our World and I not sure it is for the Good either. Science has gotten a Big Head because of His Theory and may Think to Highly of Itself because of It too.

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2006, 3:41 am

kevv729 wrote:
So how has Charles Darwin Changed Our Lives.

In a nutshell, it makes us free. Free from the bonds of irrational superstition that has been used nefariously by a minority for thousands of years to exert it's wishes over the majority. We don't need religion anymore to explain the world around us. We don't need someone to interpret texts written thousands of years ago in order to provide a reassuring — but false — paradigm of reality to live within.

Darwin is just one of many to cast light on the process of evolution, just one of numerous scientists that have contributed to the vast wealth of knowledge we as humanity now hold. Much of this information is freely available to anybody. If you want to find out about evolution, go read some popular science books on the subject. If you don't believe we're distantly related to fish, for example, then look at the evidence; look at how limbs and hands form in human embryos, look at how this happens in fish, look at the palaeontological evidence, look at how Hox genes are supposed to figure in this. Then, if you wish, go find some research papers on whichever part of it interests you — it's all easily obtainable, though you might have to pay. You may not understand all of it, you may not be 100% convinced; but you will see facts combined with reason to produce plausible theories. The same processes that gave us the wheel, penicillin and space travel.

To be honest, I find this anti-science, creationist hogwash that seems so prevalent in the US almost as threatening and dangerous as Islamic extremism. Both require the abandonment of reason, and the acceptance of another's word without thought. It really beggars belief that any rational human being can look back on the history of the last few hundred years and still maintain that blind faith is a good thing.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2006, 5:45 am

His theories have undoubtably has changed our lives. Like anything else though, some use this knowledge progressively and some either deny their merits or use this knowledge for negative ideas/actions.

Last edited by eamonn on 01 Jan 2006, 7:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2006, 6:01 am

ascan

What do humans truly know and understand in this World that We Live in Today. Charles Darwin had His day when He was Living in His day.

We are yet Living in a Day We do not even UNDERSTAND what LIFE is For Us All do We yet Truly Know what Science and the Understanding of Life Truly is for Us Any of Us Today in the what truly makes Life.

We can make Life Important can We not are We So important That We Become more in the End Living Life to Understand Life.

What is, Is for Us all isn't not for Us all to Learn what life is Living what Life is for Us all Living in this World Today and Tomorrow too.