So in what ways can you, not relate to people?

Page 4 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Vimse
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Mar 2009, 3:23 pm

Am not very good at noticing people. For some reason they seem so far away. Am usually too occupied with my thoughts to notice my surroundings and the people in them. Think that the only way I would be able to connect with another person is if that person could come and visit inside my head where I am.

grizeldatee
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Mar 2009, 5:27 pm

More than once a person has been irritated with me for not manipulating them into doing something I asked them to do. I honestly do not get this, but apparently there is a bargaining process whereby one person convinces another to do things that are the correct things to do anyway. I don't think I will ever understand this. Here is my take on it: I ask and they answer and that is the end of it. They should not be angry with me if everybody thinks they are jerks because I respected their answers.

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 6:44 pm

Padium wrote:
AmberEyes wrote:
Also, it's one thing to be able to accurately analyse the behaviour of a group and the atmosphere (as a whole) from the corner of a room.

It's quite another to know how to effectively join in with those people without being ignored or making a fool of oneself.

It's like being able to relate to the behaviour of characters on TV, following the plot rigorously, but sadly not being able to interact with them because a glass screen is in the way.

That is how I feel most days..... I really can understand and analyze accuratly, but I can't join in at all...

I just wonder whether my being left alone in front of the TV at a very young age exacerbated any latent passivity/social inhibition that I may have inherited from my parents.

So basically, I started out as being innately shy and socially clueless and was distracted by the physical environment to such an extent that I learned to be passive/inappropriately active. Perhaps at that young age, I couldn't really distinguish between the fantasy of the TV and the reality of real life social situations. Perhaps this affected my subsequent development and confused me even further.

With all the bright colours, moving pictures and sounds: perhaps TV's a tempting distraction for a young child?

I used to recite and take things so seriously on the telly, like the programmes were prophesies or something.

I also grew up in an era where the pace of programming was starting to increase and new technologies were being used. When I go to the cinema today, I still feel that overwhelming sense of disorientation when I leave. I also go very quiet. I can't go shopping afterwards: I have to go straight home because I feel over-stimulated and unable to function sensibly or socially.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 7:20 pm

AmberEyes wrote:
Padium wrote:
AmberEyes wrote:
Also, it's one thing to be able to accurately analyse the behaviour of a group and the atmosphere (as a whole) from the corner of a room.

It's quite another to know how to effectively join in with those people without being ignored or making a fool of oneself.

It's like being able to relate to the behaviour of characters on TV, following the plot rigorously, but sadly not being able to interact with them because a glass screen is in the way.

That is how I feel most days..... I really can understand and analyze accuratly, but I can't join in at all...

I just wonder whether my being left alone in front of the TV at a very young age exacerbated any latent passivity/social inhibition that I may have inherited from my parents.

So basically, I started out as being innately shy and socially clueless and was distracted by the physical environment to such an extent that I learned to be passive/inappropriately active. Perhaps at that young age, I couldn't really distinguish between the fantasy of the TV and the reality of real life social situations. Perhaps this affected my subsequent development and confused me even further.

With all the bright colours, moving pictures and sounds: perhaps TV's a tempting distraction for a young child?

I used to recite and take things so seriously on the telly, like the programmes were prophesies or something.

I also grew up in an era where the pace of programming was starting to increase and new technologies were being used. When I go to the cinema today, I still feel that overwhelming sense of disorientation when I leave. I also go very quiet. I can't go shopping afterwards: I have to go straight home because I feel over-stimulated and unable to function sensibly or socially.

I don't remember what I watched much at a young age, but I have been told I had a liking for the news and would prefer that to children's shows.

ZodRau
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Mar 2009, 11:46 pm

Zyborg wrote:
i_wanna_blue wrote:
pavel_filonov wrote:
the whole bullying mentality - intimidating other people to get what you want. "He who shouts the loudest wins". I don't get it.

Yes me to. My autistic cousin to subject to this mentality quite often. Do people get a kick out of this? Well I certainly dont see any benefit from behaving like a hooligan... :?

It is important for bonding within groups. If neurotypicals did not have this characteristic, we would not see nationalism, soccer hooliganism or wars.

I feel like I've wandered onto the set of a 'Planet of The Apes' movie.