Governments should stop maoning about people signing on...

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

-x-x-ANONYMOUS-x-x-
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Mar 2009, 12:11 pm

I'm neally 17 an I've phoned up around 20 places looking for a job, all saying no, so I am thinking about claming, because I have no oter choice, if the gvvernments wants mroe people t work then there should be more job vacancies, they especially try to adivse teenagers to get jobs and ironically it's harder to get a job when you're this age,

anyone agree?

-x-x-ANONYMOUS-x-x-

23 Mar 2009, 12:12 pm

and I've been searching for ages now...

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 12:58 pm

The government tries to encourage companies to create jobs by different methods, but it is up to the private sector to create jobs, not the government.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 1:07 pm

And the economy does not help.

When older people feel a need to remain even in part-time jobs for a check, they take jobs away from younger people competing for those same jobs. There simply is not enough work for everyone from 16 to ____ to have a job.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 1:12 pm

Government from local to nation is most of the 'problem' with respect to almost anything so the less you have of it the less problems there will be in general.

dedhead66
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Mar 2009, 3:34 pm

-x-x-ANONYMOUS-x-x- wrote:
I'm neally 17 an I've phoned up around 20 places looking for a job, all saying no, so I am thinking about claming, because I have no oter choice, if the gvvernments wants mroe people t work then there should be more job vacancies, they especially try to adivse teenagers to get jobs and ironically it's harder to get a job when you're this age,
anyone agree?

That depends on what type of job you're looking for. Since you're only 17 I'll assume you're looking for a non-professional, entry level job. The problem now is that many of the high paying jobs are vanishing and the competition for the lower level jobs is increasing. If you have a white collar job that disappears you'll take anything that comes along to help put food on the table.

While I'm not a fan of many of Ronald Reagan's beliefs he said all that needs to be said about gov't:

Ronald Reagan wrote:
"Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 6:08 pm

Have you got any skills you could sell on your own? I'm thinking stuff like baby-sitting or lawn care or something of the sort. I had a little mending/altering business back a couple of years ago, because I've got a knack for sewing.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

EnglishLulu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 6:38 pm

I think things are getting tougher and tougher in this economic climate. Even long established banks and stores that have been in business for decades have been going bust, which means this isn't just an ordinary up and down, it's worse than anything that has been experienced for decades. Lots of people used to think it was just lazy people who didn't work (okay, so some people are, but not everyone). Now they're realising that it isn't as easy and there aren't enough jobs for all the people who are being made redundant. It's going to put massive pressure on resources like benefits/welfare agencies, homeless shelters and debt counselling charities and so on. :(

If you're only 17 is there any way you can continue with your education to get more qualifications? If you can't find work, you might as well do something constructive with your time.

Katie_WPG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Mar 2009, 8:54 pm

Yeah, it really depends on what kind of job. For a 17 year old with no post-secondary, you might have no choice but to just pound the pavement, looking for service industry jobs. You might have to start part-time. It helps if you know someone in that job who can vouch for you.

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 5:42 am

-x-x-ANONYMOUS-x-x- wrote:

Why not turning the trouble into a chance? You do not find a job? What about going into further education? Widening your horizon and gaining a better chance later for a better paid and more interesting job?

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 6:44 am

This is also a problem with being an industrialized society.

Many years ago, when most people just ran farms and ranches, there really was no unemployment. If you were willing to work, there was work to do. You had a place to sleep and food. Life wasn't as fancy as it is today, but people needing work but unable to find a job was unheard of.

With industrialization came cities. In a city, someone can't just give you a place to stay, food, etc. They must give you money. That's something they have to earn to dole back out to another. So, jobs must be created and there is never enough to go around.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 10:35 am

Well, that's what happens when you invent a machine that does the job of fifty men and only takes one operator.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

dedhead66
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Mar 2009, 11:01 am

Yes, it's called progress. :wink: Although not to the men who have just been put out of work.