The World is Full of Wondrous Things

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

MarchHare
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Mar 2009, 8:41 am

I’ve retired, and have been thinking of fictionalising some aspects of my earlier life for possible serialisation in a certain provincial newspaper.

But what do I do about my significant other?

By her standards, my earlier behaviour – the bits I want to use as a base for my fiction - was wrong.

There is already a lack of anything meaningful between us. We co-exist mostly because we have to. Our financial situation dictates it.

My as yet unwritten story finished twenty-five years before I met her.

What I want to write about would be based on the ten years that I was involved with a woman married to someone else. She incidentally is now deceased.

I’ll possibly be in deep excrement when the present significant other reads my story. I already know she disapproves of what we did, but it is never discussed.

So do I forget about the one writing topic about which I truly have some passion, just to keep the peace at home, or do I say to hell with her? I really don’t know what to do.

Don’t say that it may never happen, that for example my writing may not be good enough to be accepted; I know how to write publishable fiction.

And please don’t suggest seeking publication elsewhere.

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 8:59 am

I don't have any advice - just empathy. I don't have that exact same story but I hold back writing certain stories (based on experience or observation) because I don't want to cause friction within my family or network of friends and co-workers.

The way I see it, you have two choices:

1. Damn the torpedos - write the story!

2. Don't write it, don't think about, don't speak about it, and definintely don't sneak around and write it. Bury it with the heroine of the story. :(

Ah, the sweet, tortured life of a writer...