Page 3 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Whimsi-Cal
Raven
Raven

25 Mar 2009, 2:09 pm

MmeLePen wrote:
Whimsi-Cal wrote:
Irulan wrote:
This is the question for those people who wouldn’t like to have it: if you could become neurotypical but for the price of some sacrifice – you can go back to normal but instead of it you automatically become a member of another minority group chosen by you, which one would you choose?

I don't understand the logic of this question. Autism and AS occurs in all ethnic groups. There are even some gay AS people so this question is confusing to me. Is this question only for white people with a spectrum disorder?

Women also still have minority status in some areas. Yeah - the math gets all goofed up.

Hence the tongue and cheek. (At least from me - I've got so much "minority" flowing through me I'm a majority"....???)

In some areas. Even though boys are born more often then girls, the girls tend to live longer and have better survival rates. The older a woman gets the more of a majority she becomes.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Whimsi-Cal wrote:
I don't understand the logic of this question. Autism and AS occurs in all ethnic groups. There are even some gay AS people so this question is confusing to me. Is this question only for white people with a spectrum disorder?

Minority groups in the US are typically, black, latino, Native American, Asian, ect, based on ethnicity.
Gays would like to be included even though technically, gay is not an ethnic group.
Then you have other minorities who aren't minorities due to ethnicity or being gay. AS would be in these minorities.
I guess you have to be in the majority and have AS or imagine yourself living somewhere where you are the majority and think of what it would be like to be one of the minorities.

My parents didn't really teach me a bunch of stereotypes. I played with boys, I played with girls. I played with cars and army men, I played with barbie dolls and my little ponies. I had to come up with my own Autistic view of the world and I didn't understand race. I saw that people were all different looking and had different shades of color. Even two people of the same race can often be different shades of color. I didn't understand it and it didn't really bother me. I played with a Malaysian kid who was really dark but it didn't really matter to me. I also had a couple of girls who were friends. This was when I was really young to about 10 or 11.

Last edited by Whimsi-Cal on 25 Mar 2009, 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LifeOfTheSpectrum
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Mar 2009, 2:11 pm

funnymachine wrote:
LifeOfTheSpectrum wrote:
I'd be black. :D

Ka Ching *sound of penny dropping*

Autistic brain slowly whirls into gear - I get it... You are black...

No, I'm white. I'd exchange autism to be black instrad.

Whimsi-Cal
Raven
Raven

25 Mar 2009, 2:16 pm

LifeOfTheSpectrum wrote:
funnymachine wrote:
LifeOfTheSpectrum wrote:

I hate change so I guess I would stay the same. lol

Prosser
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2009, 2:24 pm

I wouldn't mind being one of those "homosexuals"

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2009, 2:33 pm

Whimsi-Cal wrote:
My parents didn't really teach me a bunch of stereotypes. I played with boys, I played with girls. I played with cars and army men, I played with barbie dolls and my little ponies. I had to come up with my own Autistic view of the world and I didn't understand race. I saw that people were all different looking and had different shades of color. Even two people of the same race can often be different shades of color. I didn't understand it and it didn't really bother me. I played with a Malaysian kid who was really dark but it didn't really matter to me. I also had a couple of girls who were friends. This was when I was really young to about 10 or 11.

I was surrounded by stereotypers growing up in a mostly caucasian town in the US, but I didn't absorb them. I'm a caucasian and was made aware of minorities by government forms I've filled out and questions regarding my ethnicity before taking achievement tests at school. The US government likes to classify people by ethnicity and disability too, so it can distribute the appropriate funds to the appropriate places. This is why minorities are emphasized here.

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2009, 2:44 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Whimsi-Cal wrote:

I was surrounded by stereotypers growing up in a mostly caucasian town in the US, but I didn't absorb them. I'm a caucasian and was made aware of minorities by government forms I've filled out and questions regarding my ethnicity before taking achievement tests at school. The US government likes to classify people by ethnicity and disability too, so it can distribute the appropriate funds to the appropriate places. This is why minorities are emphasized here.

Stereotypes are dumb. I think we all know that. At this point, this question totally rhetorical and devolving into politically incorrect pretty quickly.

And women have minority status when it comes to getting a small business loan or a government contract. They also call it "historically-disadvantaged" in some places.

funnymachine
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Mar 2009, 2:58 pm

LifeOfTheSpectrum wrote:
funnymachine wrote:
LifeOfTheSpectrum wrote:

Wow now I AM confused - your picture is of a black girl and you are a white man

funnymachine
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Mar 2009, 3:02 pm

MmeLePen wrote:

Stereotypes are dumb. I think we all know that. At this point, this question totally rhetorical and devolving into politically incorrect pretty quickly.

Stereotypes are not really dumb but all about perception perhaps...

And talking of perception who with AS will actually get this thread and be able to put themself in someone elses shoes anyhow :lol:

And if I am honest I saw a gorgeous mixed race woman today...

Actually my neice is one - she can speak four languages but dont think she can sing!

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2009, 3:08 pm

I've been stereotyped plenty o' times so I know what you mean. They are dumb.

mmstick
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Mar 2009, 3:42 am

N/A... rather leave it alone

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 3:49 am

I am part of the minorities and I am an Aspie.

Pity me.

funnymachine
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Mar 2009, 5:52 am

ruennsheng wrote:
I am part of the minorities and I am an Aspie.

Pity me.

There, there.

But as you know it doesn't matter wat I say it won't make you feel any better only you can make that choice.

For me personally, now I know what is going on with me I love having AS. I could do without some of my reactions to the neuro-chemistry but I a learning new ones.

Would I rather be neuro-typical? It would probably have been easier.

Back to the original question - I think I would like life to still be worth living - a challenge.

Now, I you really think you are disabled this is worth watching.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flRvsO8m_KI[/youtube]

Doesn't matter what is right or wrong with you - life is about living.

Be happy!

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 7:24 am

I would be Japanese! I wouldn't lsoe my math skills but everyone would love meXD

funnymachine
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Mar 2009, 8:38 am

I am not entirely sure Japanese counts as a minority...

The population of the planet is around 6.8 Billion...

Japan has the world's tenth largest population, with about 127 million people.

That is around 2%

My understanding is roughly 1% of people are on the autistic spectrum.

Which is actually more than the population of 202 countries.

Given that there are only 221 countries, maybe we should rethink the idea of minority :idea:

Join in the discussion http://aspietribe.com (mailing list)

funnymachine
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Mar 2009, 8:41 am

And I just found out I AM in another minority group!! !

I live in the United Kingdom so being British means I am part of only 0.92% of the world population!

Join in the discussion http://aspietribe.com (mailing list)

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 8:42 am

protest_the_hero wrote:
I would be Japanese! I wouldn't lsoe my math skills but everyone would love meXD

Being Japanese would be really awesome. Especially with anime skills.

Japanese isn't really a minority, true.