If you could exchange AS for another minority group

Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2009, 5:17 am

This is the question for those people who wouldn’t like to have it: if you could become neurotypical but for the price of some sacrifice – you can go back to normal but instead of it you automatically become a member of another minority group chosen by you, which one would you choose?

funnymachine
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Mar 2009, 5:37 am

I think I would be Irish - LOL

CambridgeSuperman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Mar 2009, 5:42 am

Irulan wrote:
This is the question for those people who wouldn’t like to have it: if you could become neurotypical but for the price of some sacrifice – you can go back to normal but instead of it you automatically become a member of another minority group chosen by you, which one would you choose?

This question is incredibly confusing. By "other minority" group are you refering to ethnicity, social, religious belief and sexulaity. If you are, do you not think there are already ppl in this forum who are already members of these groups AND have AS

In some cases this other minority status may have caused them to not notice their "difference" due to AS and simply shrugged it off as being caused by them being an ethnic minority for example...

just a thought

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2009, 5:51 am

CambridgeSuperman wrote:
Irulan wrote:

This question is incredibly confusing. By "other minority" group are you refering to ethnicity, social, religious belief and sexulaity. If you are, do you not think there are already ppl in this forum who are already members of these groups AND have AS

That’s obvious for everybody but I mean those people who don’t belong to any other minority group except for AS.

funnymachine
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Mar 2009, 5:59 am

How about I keep AS and become a part of another culture where I am revered like a king?

I could live in a tribe somewhere and be the medicine man - the font of wisdom and knowledge for the tribe.

All the women in the tribe would have to do sexual favours for me to increase their fertility.

All the men would have to bring me gifts.

That would work for me...

I am already part Irish so I retract my former comment based on new criteria.

CambridgeSuperman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Mar 2009, 6:07 am

Irulan wrote:
CambridgeSuperman wrote:
Irulan wrote:

That’s obvious for everybody but I mean those people who don’t belong to any other minority group except for AS.

In that case I find your question kinda insulting. You're implying choosing between AS and being an ethnic minority is like choosing the lesser of two evils?

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2009, 6:15 am

CambridgeSuperman wrote:
Irulan wrote:
CambridgeSuperman wrote:
Irulan wrote:

In that case I find your question kinda insulting. You're implying choosing between AS and being an ethnic minority is like choosing the lesser of two evils?

I don’t get what insulting you can find in my innocent question. I wrote after all that my question was for those people who wouldn’t like to have AS so for them it IS something negative, otherwise they wouldn’t like to get rid of it so yes, for them it can be perceived in the categories of making a choice between two evils, it’s perfectly LOGICAL. It seems quite clear to me you have problems with reading comprehension.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Mar 2009, 6:33 am

If I dislike being consigned to this minority group, ( AS/Autistic ), being discriminated against, on the basis of my neurophysiology/metabolism, ( because society is at the moment arranged in such a way, environmentally and socially, that sensitivities and AS-style social skills are disabling ), is there some other minority group I would prefer?

I can't imagine enjoying being disabled by any aspect of myself or background, nor do I suppose anyone does, so I suppose the question seems to boil down to which minority group I think/believe has it "easier" at the moment. ... ...

Rich people! That is the only minority group which I could confidently say is having it easier. I choose that one.

Last edited by ouinon on 25 Mar 2009, 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2009, 6:41 am

ouinon wrote:

Rich people! That is the only minority group which I could confidently say is having it easier. I choose that one!

And here I sprouted a wide, Joker-like smile :twisted: . That’s a minority group I’d like to be a part of very willingly, with no doubt (with AS or not). :D

Kirsty_84
Raven
Raven

25 Mar 2009, 6:44 am

ouinon wrote:
the moment. ... ...
Rich people! That is the only minority group which I could confidently say is having it easier. I choose that one!

The rich people I've known always seemed to be out of touch with reality, don't know if I'd want that to be honest - and money doesn't always equal happiness.
:)

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2009, 6:48 am

Kirsty_84 wrote:
ouinon wrote:
the moment. ... ...

The rich people I've known always seemed to be out of touch with reality, don't know if I'd want that to be honest - and money doesn't always equal happiness.
:)

I am out of touch with reality as it is and I’m very materialistic too so I hold my opinion the rich, millionaires is the minority I’d LOVE to belong in :D :D :D

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Mar 2009, 6:48 am

But I agree with Cambridge Superman that there is something fundamentally dodgy about the question, because it involves making a heirarchy of disability/disadvantage, and suggesting/assuming that some groups have it harder than others. Who are the "greatest victims", etc?

Last edited by ouinon on 26 Mar 2009, 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

dedhead66
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Mar 2009, 6:58 am

I would then be forced against my will to become a member of a group of lesbians .

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Mar 2009, 7:04 am

:roll:

Last edited by ouinon on 26 Mar 2009, 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

GeomAsp
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Mar 2009, 8:19 am

I would become a Gipsy in southern Spain, but then again i am not sure i wouldn't have AS.

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2009, 8:37 am

This is such a weird question - and I knew you'd get blasted by the WP community - I had to check it out! :wink: I've found they are a wonderfully, cheery, fun-loving group - who find happiness in verbally slapping people with their logic and values. Give them a tiny opening and watch the fun begin! (Actually - the entire internet is like that...) :roll:

I am an aspie, 1/2 Latina, and a woman. (Don't know why women are a minority but according to the US gov. we still are - as in minority-owned businesses)

So, if my math is right - which it never is - I am like 1.5 of a person - so can I be a white NT guy which should = 1 person?

How about if I trade in my "aspieness" and 1/2 Latina-ness for 1/2 black. So, I'd be a half black/half white NT - and be gorgeous and normal and taller.

(Wish they had a emoticon that meant - "tongue in cheek".)