Any Aspies out there who share my taste in music?!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

GriffinGuitar12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Mar 2009, 11:04 pm

It'd be great to know if there is! It's kinda difficult to describe the type of music I like. It's been described as "alternative", but I feel that might conjure up the wrong images for two reasons: first of all, some of my faves (like Springsteen) are NOT alternative, and second of all, most people probably think of bands like Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Smashing Pumpkins, Green Day, Foo Fighters, etc. and while I do like these bands, my faves lean more towards that of R.E.M., U2, 10000 Maniacs, Counting Crows, Goo Goo Dolls, Barenaked Ladies, and Oasis. To give y'all a clearer picture of what I like, here are 20 songs I listened to a couple days ago:

1. "Linger" - The Cranberries
2. "Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa" - Vampire Weekend
3. "I'm the Only One" - Melissa Etheridge
4. "Airstream Driver" - Gomez
5. "Too Little, Too Late" - Barenaked Ladies
6. "Run-Around" - Blues Traveler
7. "Milk And Money" - The Fratellis
8. "Tired of Being Sorry" - Ringside
9. "Hollow Man" - R.E.M.
10. "Everyday Is A Winding Road" - Sheryl Crow
11. "Vicious" - Lou Reed (LUV this song!!)
12. "Criminal" - Fiona Apple
13. "Crack the Shutters" - Snow Patrol (don't like this one as much as the others I listed, but it's Snow Patrol and I like them :p)
14. "Love Is Noise" - The Verve
15. "Candy Everybody Wants" - 10,000 Maniacs
16. "I Don't Know" - Lisa Hannigan (she was the backup vocalist for Damien Rice)
17. "The Space Between" - Dave Matthews Band
18. "Fitz And the Dizzyspells" - Andrew Bird
19. "Beautiful Day" - U2
20. "Spirit In the Night" - Bruce Springsteen (love this one too! early Springsteen rocks!)

Hope I didn't bore anyone by listing 20 songs I liked, but since Aspies (including myself) have a tendency to be OCD I might have entertained some people on here instead (hopefully...) If you like these kinda songs please feel free to reply and maybe I'll tell you a little more about myself. I'd really like to get to know you people more!

Orbyss
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2009, 11:29 pm

Well, the good news is, I think you'll have more fans of that than I do of what I listen to. Your list brought memories flooding back of the 90s. I like that stuff plenty when it comes to nostalgia. Not that I can claim to truly be 'Aspie,' but there's my input, anyway.

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2009, 2:01 am

I don't know if you could really classify your taste in music because you've got a pretty wide range of it in that list. I like some of it, but i can't say i share in all of your taste, but to each their own!

--Aldous Huxley

GriffinGuitar12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Mar 2009, 7:49 pm

Nights_Like_These wrote:
I don't know if you could really classify your taste in music because you've got a pretty wide range of it in that list. I like some of it, but i can't say i share in all of your taste, but to each their own!

Well, if you like the majority of what I put in there, then that's fine too. BTW, isn't that the cover of one of of Montreal's albums in your avatar? I've heard some of their stuff, particularly the one that's used in the Outback Steakhouse commercials :p I'm guessing that you like some of the Andrew Bird, Fratellis, Vampire Weekend type stuff I put in there since you have that album cover for your avatar. Indie rock rules! Though I much prefer the sorta '60s folk-rock inspired sound I hear in bands like The Shins, The Decemberists, Bright Eyes, Feist, Guster, etc. to the early '80s post-punk inspired sound of bands like The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Franz Ferdinand, and Interpol (on the other hand, bands like Kings of Leon, The Duke Spirit, Arcade Fire, and Modest Mouse fall in between these two styles so I like them, too.) What about you? Look forward to hearing from you and I hope I haven't overwhelmed you :p

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2009, 4:43 am

Sorry, I lost track of this thread..lol...My avatar is indeed a Of Montreal album cover..."Sunlandic Twins", that being said I'm actually very unfamiliar with Andrew Bird, Fratellis, AND Vampire Weekend, although I have heard of them (minus Andrew bird). i will check them out though. Indie rock does indeed kick ass lol. I used to listen to 60's 70's music exclusively before my taste started to branch off so i'm still pretty fond of a lot of that stuff. I have everything by Of Montreal (although i can't honestly say I like it all - some of it is kind of weird even for me lol). I also have everything by Modest Mouse and Arcade Fire. I'm not overly familiar with all of Feist's music except for a few songs here and there, but I do have everything by Broken Social Scene, which Feist is a member of, and I like a lot of that stuff as well. As for all of the other bands you mentioned, I know them all, but only know a few songs here and there. I've been listening to mostly really mellow stuff lately like Iron and Wine, Bon Iver and the like, but I've still got over 10,000 songs on my computer and climbing..lol...I should have more by now, but i've gone through too many hard drives and never ended up getting, again, a lot of the stuff I had lost. Going through your list i see a couple of other bands that i have everything by: Gomez and REM. I'm always up for chatting about music as it is probably my greatest passion in life. Enough so that if somehow i went deaf and couldn't hear music anymore i'd probably just want to die lol

--Aldous Huxley