Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Mar 2009, 2:39 pm

Skype announces service for iPhone, BlackBerry

Quote:
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Skype, the Internet telephone unit of eBay Inc, is planning to launch its service for iPhone users on Tuesday and for BlackBerry in May as part of its effort to expand beyond desktop computers....

Hopefully the chat feature will be compatible with iPhone 3.0 software scheduled to be released this
Summer.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2009, 2:52 pm

Don't use Skype. It's evil.

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2009, 2:54 pm

Oh, good, even tough I very rarely use Skype this kind of news is good to help me overcome the deep feeling of guilt that came with the purchase of my iPhone. It was pretty much an obsession and I HAD to buy it, I guess eventually it will go away :wink:

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Mar 2009, 3:57 pm

Orwell wrote:

What is so evil about Skype? There are a few WP members that I communicate with on a regular
basis via Skype. I have been using it for more than a year now with few or no problems. The only
time I had a problem was when I was using the Skype extensions for FireFox, those would cause my
browser to crash or freeze up, but once I removed them, both FF and Skype behaved themselves
without causing any more problems with my system.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2009, 8:37 pm

richie wrote:
Orwell wrote:

What is so evil about Skype? There are a few WP members that I communicate with on a regular
basis via Skype. I have been using it for more than a year now with few or no problems. The only
time I had a problem was when I was using the Skype extensions for FireFox, those would cause my
browser to crash or freeze up, but once I removed them, both FF and Skype behaved themselves
without causing any more problems with my system.

Skype has been caught aiding the Red Chinese government in spying on dissidents. I can not condone such violations of human rights.

Also, even if you're a heartless bastard who doesn't give a damn about freedom of expression for an oppressed people, Skype from a technical standpoint will screw you over. It hogs your bandwidth to route other people's calls through, and it ruins your security.

There are a number of free, open alternatives to Skype that don't aid in oppression or rob you of your internet connection. Gizmo, SIP Communicator, Wengo, and many others.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2009, 11:55 pm

I agree. if someone wants to video chat with a friend, they can use their own damned bandwidth. Leave mine alone.