My definition of Autism and/or Asperger's.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

reddingcal
Raven
Raven

30 Mar 2009, 5:00 pm

Please keep in mind that I could be wrong about parts or all of this, but I always been interested in trying to define things, even complex and misunderstood things. Here is my attempt to define Autism Spectrum Disorders. Feel free to tell me what you think it is too. I'm not trying to be arrogant or saying that this has to be you. I'm just giving it a shot because its the way I am.

To me Autism is a fundamental lack of understanding other people, disinterest in other people, and/or a biological or social deficient which causes and / or manifests itself as an over focus on self and at least to some degree causes an alienation of what is considered normal within social functioning. This alienation causes a significant shift into how individuals channel and / or displace their functional and mental processes (or energies). Obsessive interests and repetitive stimulation is a way to release and/or displace such "energies". Due to the fundamental lack of social functioning individuals fail to learn and / or understand social skills acquired naturally within certain developmental mile stones that NT children progressively "learn" and / or understand. The lack of theory of mind is a secondary observation caused by the person being progressively alienated from NT development. Using my theory of AS and Autism you can see how even someone with ADHD or another "Co-Morbid" disorder could cause them to develop this significant lack of Theory of Mind. I believe that there is a spectrum rather then a few narrow definitions for this reason. The cause of the fundamental split from normal development is likely to be the answer. A person who might have had severe ADHD would undoubtably be different then a person who had severe sensory problems, but both would develop a similar lack of the theory of mind that we see common among autistics and AS.

I think within my definition any problem that causes significant deficit in social functioning could lead to what is considered ASD. Non-verbal learning problems, Auditory processing, face blindness, or even a total lack of interest and/or empathy for people. I think this is a spectrum for a reason. Many roads leading to ASD.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2009, 5:15 pm

I don't have anything to add, but I like your thinking.

reddingcal
Raven
Raven

30 Mar 2009, 5:18 pm

MR wrote:
I don't have anything to add, but I like your thinking.

Thanks. At times I tend to over think things. LOL :lol: My Therapist asked me to research social skills and tell her what it is in my own words. Boy is she in for an over thought out disaster. :roll:

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2009, 5:45 pm

reddingcal wrote:
manifests itself as an over focus on self

This would fit with what someone once told me.

This person said that I had: "Delightful self awareness." that exceeded most other people's.
I guess that would be termed "high intrapersonal intelligence" or something like that.

My family kind of fit this description too. They're always talking about themselves.

So, I've wondered, could there be a trade-off relationship between intrapersonal and interpersonal intelligences?

It's just I've noticed that some very highly sociable people aren't as introspective as I am...

There I go, focussing on myself again LOL! :lol: