Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Rakkety_Tamm
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2006, 9:27 am

thats my biggest problem dealing with people, even face-to-face i cannot tell sarcasim.

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2006, 9:35 am

Namiko wrote:
Well, let me start off by saying that my standpoint is coming from a Christian. I don't believe it's wrong to say "Merry Christmas"... and I wouldn't get pissed off if someone said "Happy Hanukkah" to me, either. What the lady did was a bit odd and forceful. Sadly, some Christians are like that.

I have friends (both here and IRL) who are several different religions: Christian, Jewish, Mormon, atheist and agnostic. With some of them, I feel free to talk about the Bible with them, but it's not like I preach fiery hell and brimstone if they don't accept what I believe. That's their choice and it will just pull apart our frienship if I try to force anything on them- or if they do that to me.

I am more of a fundamentalist Christian, but I'm not legalistic about it or anything. Christianity means to be imitators of Christ. Jesus was not hateful or prejudice (let's face it, he ate meals with tax collectors, who were hated by everyone else during that time). If Christians really seek to imitate Christ, they won't be nearly as prejudice or hateful as a lot of "Christians" are.

Disclaimer: I don't know if this lady is really a Christian. That's between her and God. Everyone's spiritual stance is between themself and whatever Divine Authority they believe in. All I'm saying is that she wasn't acting like Jesus called for Christians to act in the Bible.

Well said. That's basically what I was gonna write myself.

worsedale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jan 2006, 12:09 pm

In the town where I live (in Norfolk UK) the christians are out in all their fundamentalist force. My town is one whose association with the church is so deep and long standing that religious people have a strangehold over everything that goes on; things like halloween are always downplayed and some shops even feel compelled not to sell fireworks in November. It used to piss me off to a huge extent when I was younger, and the worst thing wad the autocracy had by the church leaders in being the only people who ever came to speak to us in school.
If you live in such a town its hard to condemn their activities because it is basicaly to be politically incorrect. But you just have to look around more widely for people who see all their hypocrisy, and it'll be easy to rise above it all. Furthermore, in concurrence with others on this thread, some Christians will accept others'point of view and many are little more than naturally charitable people who want to help others. Having a God helps some people to live disciplined, productive and happy lives, but some of us can conjure up our own Gods, simple as that./

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2006, 12:51 pm

Why would I want to be "saved" if I ended up in Heaven with all those judgmental religious fanatics?

There's a good t-shirt in that somewhere...

I, myself, don't mind a good "Merry Christmas" etc., giving or receiving. But I do mind when another attempts to convert me with endless scripture or some other means. I only ask respect.

I know there's plenty of Xtians who are very capable of respecting another person's boundaries and many who do. But there are also plenty who don't. And if they're getting into Heaven, then somebody f-ed up.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Ladysmokeater
Veteran
Veteran

Location: North of Atlanta, South of Boston, East of the Mississippi, and West of the Atlantic

04 Jan 2006, 1:03 pm

Sophist wrote:
Why would I want to be "saved" if I ended up in Heaven with all those judgmental religious fanatics?

It's "God please save me from your "good People"

Mithrandir
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2006, 1:11 pm

Ladysmokeater wrote:
Sophist wrote:

It's "God please save me from your "good People"

And what about meeting Martin Luther King, Gundhi, Joan de Arch, Socrates...?
I think only a select few will be "chosen," otherwise it wouldn't be "heaven."

I think were dwelling on assumptions.
Life and death is not about facts even with near death experiances.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2006, 9:04 pm

there is no way that hell could torment me. I can be amused by anything, including my own suffering, therefore i will never cease to be amused.