Weird hangup with peas? Anybody have funny food hangups?

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Solarislun
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Mar 2009, 10:39 pm

There is something that bothers me about peas and has done so since I was a little kid. Something about them being green and round just repulses me and makes me not want to eat anything that is touching them.

Does anyone else have any funny hangups with foods?

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2009, 11:06 pm

I too dislike peas.

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2009, 11:55 pm

The mushy texture of loose peas makes me gag. I can eat them when they're accompanied by meat, such as in stew. But a spoonfull of just loose peas is something I was never able to eat

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2009, 12:04 am

When I was a kid (like 4-5 years old) I stuck a bunch of peas up my nose and had to go to the hospital because they wouldn't come out. I feared them after that incident probably until I was about 20. I like peas quite a bit now, strangely.

I have hangups that were not caused by traumatic events towards a handful of vegetables. Mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower (sp?), and eggplant are the real deal untouchables. Cauliflower is especially terrifying and horrendous haha I don't think I've had a bite of it ever in my life.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

31 Mar 2009, 12:08 am

i happen to love the way peas smell, i have no food hangups i guess. and now i really love canned fruit

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2009, 12:10 am

I love peas. They were my favourite as a child.
I love mushrooms too, so much I can't understand anyone hating them.
I don't really like eggplant though. I try to eat it fast.
I really hate onions and cooked pineapple.

People should at least try to eat vegetables. They are very good for you.
I usually eat mine in a stirfry with a lot of flavour.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2009, 12:16 am

I couldn't deal with onions for most of my life, somehow I "overcame" that one in the last 5 years or so. I can do onions in certain dishes/contexts.

Cooked pineapple sounds like bad news conceptually to me but I do like it, provided that it isn't on pizza. Actually that's a weird one I have, pineapple on pizza is a totally unacceptable combination. The pizza is tarnished even if the pineapple is removed.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2009, 12:27 am

Pineapple on pizza is the worst. People used to give me weird looks when I pulled them off pizza and a few other toppings. They would say 'there's nothing left on that pizza to eat.'

I can usually eat pineapple raw. I used to just eat it out of the can. Again, I'd get more weird looks.

stonemask
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Mar 2009, 12:38 am

There are only three things in this world that I won't eat. canned spinach (looks like something the cat hacked up), canned corn (not to be gross but it gives me diarrhea), and coconut (I just hate the taste of it). But other than that anything else is game.

stonemask
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Mar 2009, 12:40 am

There are only three things in this world that I won't eat. canned spinach (looks like something the cat hacked up), canned corn (not to be gross but it gives me diarrhea), and coconut (I just hate the taste of it). But other than that anything else is game.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 Mar 2009, 2:35 am

On the subject of peas ... ... :twisted:

"Eat Your Peas"; a brilliant, and twisted evil, 2-minute short animated film by Paul Hargreaves, at:

http://switch.tv/videos/2315?ctx=4&ct=0&srt=1&start=110 or:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... id=6600184

b9
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2009, 6:50 am

i do not mind peas if they are very soft. i do not like fresh or frozen peas, because after they are boiled, they are still firm and dry inside. they suck my mouth dry because i do not like them much, and my mouth does not produce sufficient lubrication for them.

they wind up in a claggy paste in my mouth that i can not bring myself to swallow.
i usually have to go to the toilet and spit that mouthful out.
i do not mind canned peas. they are soft and moist, but i would not buy them for myself.
i like canned corn kernels as well. i do not really like the color green to eat. i do not know why. i dislike mint and green lollies (candy) as well, and green foods remind me of green lollies.

i do not like most foods touching other food types on my plate(s).
foods that i do not like to touch other foods are foods that are sticky or juicy. foods that rub off on other foods that is.

i can tolerate sauteed carrots and.. say baby squash on the same plate, but things like mashed potato must have their own plate. all steaks have their own plate too.
there is nothing more disgusting than brown meat juices from a steak soaking into adjacent mashed potato.
things like cauliflower au gratin (white cheesy sauce and grilled cheese topping ) must not touch any other food.
i put all sauces like barbecue sauce onto a saucer, and not on the same plate as my steak. i cut pieces of steak and dip them into the saucer to get the sauce on them.

it is strange because i have many exceptions to my "separate foods hangup".
like i enjoy hamburgers. when i think about it, inside the burger, there is egg dripping onto tomato, and bbq sauce that dribbles over the meat into the egg and tomato etc.

if i accidentally dripped egg onto my tomato in a meal i prepared at home where they are supposed to be separate items, i would consider the tomato ruined. same with bbq sauce infecting my nice pert fried egg yolk.
i will not eat fish in any other way than in battered "fish and chips". i dislike the reptilian look of a naked fish fillet.
if, for some reason, the batter drops off my fish as i am eating it and reveals the white fillet, i will not eat any more of it. i am often very angry when i am hungry and i get fish and chips, and as soon as i pick the fish up, the batter splits and the fish slides out of it and drops back onto the paper.

when i get sausage rolls (i do not think you have them in many places around the world),

i eat them with tomato sauce (as most people do in australia). but i like to peel off the pastry from the sausage filling, and eat the pastry first, then the meat. i like the pastry the best.
but i would never just get some puff pastry and cook it in my oven and then dip it in tomato sauce and eat it. it is a gross thought, but the faint smell of sausage on the sausage roll pastry somehow makes it ok.

that is enough as i could go on for ever.

Sublyme
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Mar 2009, 6:55 am

I'm pretty indifferent to peas actually. Not my favorite, but sometimes I'll mix them with whole wheat couscous or quinoa sometimes, when I'm not feeling very creative.

That video was great though ounion.I've never had that reaction to peas or any legume for that matter....not even gas. But the video was really funny....

Anyway...my only food hangup is goat cheese. I can taste something in it that no one else seems to....it has a funky metallic, almost tin-like taste to me....it does not taste like food..

And I do like strong tangy cheeses like sheep milk feta or a good strong blue cheese....but goat cheese will make me gag.

I really think that's the only food I have a very strong aversion to.

RandomKid
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2009, 7:38 am

I like peas. I can sometimes eat cottage cheese. I can not take a bite of something and then a bite of another food. Broccoli,cauliflower, and carrots must be cooked. Unless carrots are supplied with lots of dip.

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2009, 9:36 am

Meatballs.
I can eat the meat that the meatballs are made out of, but if you shape it into spherical shapes, I will not eat it. There is something very repulsive about brown balls of meat. :lol:

I also absolutely refuse to eat chicken wings, due to a series of mild traumatic events. Starting after the age of 11, every time I ate a chicken wing, I would vomit later on. Every single time!
Eventually, I connected the event of eating chicken wings to the event of vomiting.

I can eat chicken legs, breasts, and thighs without a problem! But I just cannot eat chicken wings.

There's alot more but I don't want to bore everyone with an ongoing list.

Check out my blog: http://glanceoutthewindow.blogspot.com/

sketches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Mar 2009, 9:40 am

I'm not a pea person, either. I tend to pick them out when I eat casseroles with peas in them. I don't take peas when they're offered at the table.

They're like very bad-tasting Dippin' Dots as if the Dippin' Dots were offered individually, and you could take as many as you wanted, instead of in a bowl and clumped together. I would not eat Dippin' Dots individually. That's my best analogy right there.