Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 5:18 pm

Aspie_Chav wrote:
I am not sure about China, but Japanese people are closer to the spectrum.

hikkimori lol

Quote:
Also, I have never seen a black aspie woman,(;_・)

you're not looking hard enough! I noticed some here on wrongplanet.

whiterat
Toucan
Toucan

07 Oct 2011, 9:21 pm

princesseli wrote:
I cant speak for aspie girls on the whole since ive barely met any. And I've never met another asian aspie female, that I know of.
Hi, I am Asian. I am not exactly Aspie, but my doctor said that if he had to put a label to what I am, he would say borderline Aspie.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 2:24 am

Aspie_Chav wrote:
I have never seen a black aspie woman,(;_・)

Here ya go. She is HFA not an Aspie but still autistic :wink:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8aqKo9Mu5E&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ2ttSEBU7Y&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 3:30 am

Well as autism can be genetic, I think it's likely to be common in places where arranged marriage was common. I suppose it could be more common among Asians in the past. It's no longer a common practice, though. Maybe autism in East Asia will go down in numbers?

This thing has been in my family for generations, and I really don't think my grandpa, his brother, or their father would have got married with their own social skill. :) (We're Chinese.) My dad married a NT woman, didn't work and brother and I are still autistic. I married an NT guy (though a bit borderline) and both our children are autistic, too. Maybe it's just very dominant. BTW my mom is quite the opposite of Asian women stereotype. She's robust, strong, loud and very social. I'm nothing like her. :?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 4:11 am

I don't look or act like an Asian.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 5:22 am

I find myself almost exclusively attracted to Asian women

whiterat
Toucan
Toucan

08 Oct 2011, 2:23 pm

y-pod wrote:
Well as autism can be genetic, I think it's likely to be common in places where arranged marriage was common. I suppose it could be more common among Asians in the past. It's no longer a common practice, though. Maybe autism in East Asia will go down in numbers?

This thing has been in my family for generations, and I really don't think my grandpa, his brother, or their father would have got married with their own social skill. :) (We're Chinese.) My dad married a NT woman, didn't work and brother and I are still autistic. I married an NT guy (though a bit borderline) and both our children are autistic, too. Maybe it's just very dominant. BTW my mom is quite the opposite of Asian women stereotype. She's robust, strong, loud and very social. I'm nothing like her. :?
Hi, I am also Chinese. Over here in Singapore where lots of people are also Chinese and NT, I didn't think of the cultural aspect as playing a part in autism because in our society overall, my family (something like yours) would still be a minority.

Talking about marriage, as female who finished school relatively recently, I haven't had been in a single relationship. I did have a crush on a guy friend in school, but it happened he was already taken - by a very possessive girlfriend. So to avoid trouble I just remained as friends with that guy.

My fear is not so much of meeting the wrong guy but that I have a very demanding mother-in-law who wants me to do her bidding. Although like your family, the autism seems to be running in the father's side, and I have several cousins with varying degrees of social difficulty, my dad's blood relatives would keep saying at family gatherings that it must have been the mother's fault for giving birth to such a kid. One of my ex-colleagues who made life very difficult for me once said at work she would like to have her future daughter-in-law live with her. I get the impression she's like my dad's family.

Although in the papers there have been stories about mother-in-laws and daughter-in-laws getting on quite well, I still fear that if there's a guy I like with a mother like that, I will have to give up the guy to avoid living the rest of my life bound by family ties to the mother-in-law. I don't want to do this and regret missing the guy because of the mother-in-law issue.

So my answer to your question would be that more people have to become aware of autism, and this cultural issue which affects NTs has to be resolved so that female would not be so put off by this fear.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. The other non-Chinese people here at Wrong Planet have been great so far, but due to cultural differences, this is one question I have to ask another Chinese who knows about autism issues.

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 6:31 pm

This whole topic is totally ridiculous. Autism can effect everyone and it doesn't matter what your background is. People are people.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 9:01 pm

Most aspies I've met in real life tend to be of Celtic or Ashkenazi Jewish extraction. This might be because of where I live and the communities I mostly associate with, though.

I can't say I've met any confirmed East Asian aspies, though my partner works with a few. I've met a few South and Central Asians who struck me as being on the spectrum, but I don't know for certain. I also know one Italian person with it. I suspect it can affect people of any ethnicity.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 9:53 pm

AnnieK wrote:
It's just a coincidence.

There are also many aspects of Asian culture, or at least Confucian culture which are very anti-Aspie.

For example there is a much heavier emphasis on "unspoken" communication than in Western culture. People are a lot more indirect and you are supposed to "pick up" all the sub-text and read between the lines. It *is* very rules based but you have to have the social skills to quickly work out the situation, your expected role, read between the lines and work out what people really mean and then apply the right rule. Also, there is more emphasis on acting together as a group, conforming and fitting in than in Western culture. Networks are extremely important. There is also a lot less sympathy for victims of bullying than in Western culture.

My impression is that "Asians" (I suspect that you are talking about Chineses/Koreans/Japaneses) are aspie-like in the interests thing, and anti-aspie in the social thing. What happens is that the western stereotype of "asians" is derived from "asians" living in the west, not from "asians" living in their societies, then the steretype ignores "asian" social behaviour.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 11:30 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
Most aspies I've met in real life tend to be of Celtic or Ashkenazi Jewish extraction. This might be because of where I live and the communities I mostly associate with, though.

I can't say I've met any confirmed East Asian Aspies, though my partner works with a few. I've met a few South and Central Asians who struck me as being on the spectrum, but I don't know for certain. I also know one Italian person with it. I suspect it can affect people of any ethnicity.

Very interesting comments.

I have heard (though not in anything remotely approaching a Scientific paper) that Autism is far more prevalent in the Jewish community. My (limited) experience (being genetically part Celtic and part Jewish) bears this out.

South East Asians live in predominantly High Context cultures (where the meaning of almost everything is between the lines) with a cultural requirement, programmed from birth, for very highly developed social intuition.

Therefore I would not be surprised if fewer people in these countries DISPLAY Autistic traits - but that doesn't mean Autism is less prevalent, just that Cultural intervention from birth, has the effect of masking/mitigating it.
- Furthermore, the subject of 'disability' carries a considerable cultural stigma and 'shame' in many Asian countries
- Particularly disabilities related to the 'brain'

I only know two people of South East Asian origin who could conceivably be Autistic.
- Both have a spent considerable part of their life (including childhood) living in 'The West' (predominantly Low Context cultures where all of the meaning is IN the lines)
- Both are highly intelligent and both have adapted by becoming highly intellectually specialized in their chosen fields.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 7:57 am

Blindspot149 wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:

I can't say I've met any confirmed East Asian Aspies, though my partner works with a few. I've met a few South and Central Asians who struck me as being on the spectrum, but I don't know for certain. I also know one Italian person with it. I suspect it can affect people of any ethnicity.

Very interesting comments.

I have heard (though not in anything remotely approaching a Scientific paper) that Autism is far more prevalent in the Jewish community. My (limited) experience (being genetically part Celtic and part Jewish) bears this out.

South East Asians live in predominantly High Context cultures (where the meaning of almost everything is between the lines) with a cultural requirement, programmed from birth, for very highly developed social intuition.

Therefore I would not be surprised if fewer people in these countries DISPLAY Autistic traits - but that doesn't mean Autism is less prevalent, just that Cultural intervention from birth, has the effect of masking/mitigating it.
- Furthermore, the subject of 'disability' carries a considerable cultural stigma and 'shame' in many Asian countries

My aspie boyfriend is a mix of Celtic and Ashkenazi Jewish. Most of the spectrumites I know are one, or the other, or both.

I think with Jews it's common enough amongst them to actually influence their culture. With Celts I think neurological conditions are more common in general, than with other ethnicities. I don't think it's always specifically Aspergers, I find that's relatively less common than other conditions - they're just less likely to be NTs. I don't know why this is, but I suspect it's the source of many Irish jokes.

East Asian culture is impenetrable to me. It's very hard for me to tell what's socially 'wrong' within the context of their culture. I suspect you're right about the stigma attached to 'brain' conditions' with them, too.

I have seen a few Desis who seem obviously on the spectrum, though - and they have the same stigma in their culture.

whiterat
Toucan
Toucan

10 Oct 2011, 9:54 am

Blindspot149 wrote:

I only know two people of South East Asian origin who could conceivably be Autistic.
- Both have a spent considerable part of their life (including childhood) living in 'The West' (predominantly Low Context cultures where all of the meaning is IN the lines)
- Both are highly intelligent and both have adapted by becoming highly intellectually specialized in their chosen fields.

Hi, I am Chinese Singaporean and I am on the spectrum.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2011, 12:42 pm

Stereotypes exist for a reason.

Go to http://sq.4mg.com/NationIQ.htm if you don't believe me. On average, Asians actually are smarter. Statistically speaking, since smarter people are more likely to be autistic (or appear to be more autistic), this makes sense.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2011, 2:49 pm

SammichEater wrote:
Stereotypes exist for a reason.

Go to http://sq.4mg.com/NationIQ.htm if you don't believe me. On average, Asians actually are smarter. Statistically speaking, since smarter people are more likely to be autistic (or appear to be more autistic), this makes sense.

I won't argue that stereotypes are at least in part based on reality.

IQ's are not a measure of "smartness." IQ testing is very limited in its application. It is entirely possible that a person with an IQ of 160 can't figure out how to tie their own shoes. It takes a lot more than a high IQ to get along in life.

No offense intended here, but your statement that "smarter people are more likely to be Autistic" is patently false. Though there may well be a lot of High Functioning Autistics with high intelligence, there are may Autistics with very low levels of intelligence and functionality.

If you're going to say "statistically speaking," you should also be prepared to show us the statistics. Got any?

Careful of the mythologies on this topic. :wink:

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...