No! 43%  43%  [ 34 ]
huh? 11%  11%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 79

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2010, 12:34 pm

Good. I for one don't use it anyway.

To be completely honest, though, while I do think it's good there are organisations that take this seriously, I don't think it'll have any real effect.

BroncosRtheBest
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Sep 2010, 4:53 pm

What I've noticed is that the people with the actual disabilities (such as myself, apparantly) couldn't care less about the word, but people related to ID people or people who think they should have ended up with massive birth defects but didn't are as afraid of it as I'm afraid of heights. To them it symbolizes everything they fear: not being an NT. I don't use the word very often, and it's normally to describe myself, and I try to avoid it when around the above mentioned people. However, I don't plan to stop using it because of some new PC junk. You know, political correctness should get a new name. It's not worthy to take the same initials as the best series of OSes ever.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2010, 3:33 am

In music, that word is used when you need to slow the tempo for a while. Other than that, I make an effort not to use the R word because it's often used as an insult and is offensive.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2010, 5:14 pm

Just little clarification for everyone, Special Olympics Inc and Best Buddies International are working together on the Spread the Word to End the Word Campaign. The word of course is the R-Word. U.S. state governments have also changed their views on the R-Word and have strike it down in legislation usage. Rosa's Law the federal government version has already passed through the Senate.

http://mikulski.senate.gov/Newsroom/Pre ... ?id=327082

Also I think you should watch these videos on Soeren Palumbo, a good friend I made during my internship with Special Olympics Project UNIFY.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zFKFshINuw[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riHmUW_MO6A[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM2TD6ErTcI[/youtube]

frag
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 12:02 am

I've never called anyone a ret*d. I know it sounds bad but I call ret*ds ret*ds, like if I have to specify for some reason. I would never use a name for them on someone because I'm mad. I respect ret*ds. And now of course I get to hear I don't because I call them ret*ds but I don't care. I don't care what the new fancy name is. The name for ret*ds will always become used for bad as long as ret*ds are not accepted.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 5:10 am

frag wrote:
I've never called anyone a ret*d. I know it sounds bad but I call ret*ds ret*ds, like if I have to specify for some reason. I would never use a name for them on someone because I'm mad. I respect ret*ds. And now of course I get to hear I don't because I call them ret*ds but I don't care. I don't care what the new fancy name is. The name for ret*ds will always become used for bad as long as ret*ds are not accepted.

garf wrote:
I've never called anyone a n****r. I know it sounds bad but I call n****rs n****rs, like if I have to specify for some reason. I would never use a name for them on someone because I'm mad. I respect n****rs. And now of course I get to hear I don't because I call them n****rs but I don't care. I don't care what the new fancy name is. The name for n****rs will always become used for bad as long as n****rs are not accepted.

Think about it.

frag
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 7:08 am

It's different. n****r was never meant to be a nice word. Mental retardation was meant to be a nice way of saying things and before you called intellectually handicapped people idiots. You might say it is different to say ret*d and person with retardation but I don't agree. Every new name they make up for an unpopular group will sound like a bad name at the end until they start accepting this group.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 8:35 am

frag wrote:
It's different.
No.
frag wrote:
n****r was never meant to be a nice word.
OED wrote:
n****r, n. and adj. (1574) (etymology) ... The word was initially used as a neutral term, and only began to acquire a derogatory connotation from the mid 18th cent. onwards.
So... two centuries to acquire its negative usage.

frag wrote:
Mental retardation was meant to be a nice way of saying things and before you called intellectually handicapped people idiots. You might say it is different to say ret*d and person with retardation but I don't agree.
OED wrote:
ret*d, n.
4. orig. and chiefly N. Amer.

a. (1909) (a) Educ. and Psychol. A person displaying or characterized by developmental delay or learning difficulties (cf. RETARDATION n. 4a) (now rare, not the preferred term); (b) Educ. a child whose educational progress or level of attainment has fallen behind that expected for his or her age (cf. RETARDATION n. 4b) (now rare, not the preferred term).
b. (1968) colloq. and slang (freq. derogatory and offensive, esp. in recent use). A person (or occas. thing) regarded as being mentally or physically deficient, stupid, or incompetent.
A rather quicker transition.

frag wrote:
Every new name they make up for an unpopular group will sound like a bad name at the end until they start accepting this group.
There is no "they". Words acquire their meanings by usage - usage by you.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 8:56 am

frag wrote:
It's different. n****r was never meant to be a nice word. Mental retardation was meant to be a nice way of saying things and before you called intellectually handicapped people idiots. You might say it is different to say ret*d and person with retardation but I don't agree. Every new name they make up for an unpopular group will sound like a bad name at the end until they start accepting this group.

No its not different since it is prejudice and discrimination as it is a label. If you deserved to label when you are able to do great things then you're be discriminated against. I don't agree with you because acceptance, dignity, respect, and inclusion is need in the world. Using the R-Word is not inclusion or acceptance but exclusion and hate. Also it is people with intellectual disabilities not people who are intellectual handicapped.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRUOL5Rm2XY[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXg5Q0dI6nM[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM2TD6ErTcI[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfMlrTV_5vY[/youtube]

frag
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 11:03 am

Whatever the new nice name is, come back in 10 years and it will be forbidden to say and used as slur.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 11:54 am

frag wrote:
Whatever the new nice name is, come back in 10 years and it will be forbidden to say and used as slur.

Quite possibly. This is the difference between a living language and a dead one.

frag
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 1:21 pm

In this living language calling someone you disagree with or dislike or want to bully a ret*d is sort of correct. It is the todays connotation. That doesn't mean I'm going to do that. I never call people ret*d.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 3:40 pm

frag wrote:

Unfortunately you are absolutely right. People can stay one step ahead of the insults by coining new terms, but those new terms always become insults. This will happen with "intellectual disability" and "cognitive disability". Which is not to say that those terms shouldn't be used. I am totally in favor of "spread the word to end the word". But real change only comes when the disability itself is no longer considered so horrible.

dalurker
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 4:07 pm

Janissy wrote:
frag wrote:

Unfortunately you are absolutely right. People can stay one step ahead of the insults by coining new terms, but those new terms always become insults. This will happen with "intellectual disability" and "cognitive disability". Which is not to say that those terms shouldn't be used. I am totally in favor of "spread the word to end the word".

If it is known that the new terms will be misused for things they're not supposed to be used for, but the "end the word" nonsense continues with its churning out of euphemisms, then it's a phony and condescending effort. I've had enough of these spectacles drummed up by a bunch of non-mentally disabled creeps who make complaints like that, so they can pat themselves on the back for supposedly doing something nice.

Quote:
But real change only comes when the disability itself is no longer considered so horrible.

It will be impossible to convince all of such a nonsense delusion.