Raven
Raven

13 Jan 2018, 6:46 pm

Muay Thai, best thing ever

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 3:00 pm

Has anybody found Aikido and/or Tai Chi beneficial e.g., boosting confidence, personal growth?

aspiesoldier
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Mar 2018, 1:14 pm

i kick good in karate

leahbear
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Apr 2018, 4:19 pm

I did wing chun kung fu for a few years and did judo for 3 months just recently. The judo was a bit too hard on my old bones, I'm 43. These days I'm more into yoga and a bit of qi gong. I really miss my kung fu classes. That's my preferred way to socialize when I'm focussed on some activity. I'm always more interested in talking to other people during or after workouts. I would only chat with my coworkers when I first got to work after riding my bike.

I think kids would be better off if they ditched regular P.E. classes and taught martial arts instead.

teresa_mayhem_downing_street
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Jun 2018, 4:54 pm

oh man! i do taekwondo twice a week (it was once a week, but i decided to up my game a bit) i'm grading in September for a yellow belt green tag (7th kup) i love it!! :D :D

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 6:32 am

I practice Tai Chi (Yang-style).

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 7:09 pm

I love Russian Systema.

LoneLoyalWolf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2018, 12:48 am

I like Wing Tsun.

ShadeX
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Oct 2018, 9:46 pm

Muai Thai, JKD, 5 style (snake/dragon/tiger).... haven't trained seriously in years, but when i get back from vacation, i'm getting the gear to start again. Lately, especially with politics, been getting pissed, and being to aggressive. Time to get the old outlet again, before i mess up what i got. lol

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Nov 2018, 11:03 pm

Did judo in school almost 40 years ago. Bujinkan, scientific fighting Congress, freestyle karate and Jujutsu. Few other bits and pieces. Moved around too much, so took whatever was available.

Now at 51 and relocated to the last place I'll probably ever live, I'm on the hunt again.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 7:35 am

was at Kung Fu last night!

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 3:56 am

I used to do aikido years ago, i loved it.

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 10:29 pm

I am currently at 2nd-degree black belt rank in karate (shotokan).

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2018, 5:44 pm

Before class, I was stretching and lying down. The karate " instructor" had the nerve to bark at me to tell me you come to class to practice karate, not read book.

He was so angry, you would think someone stole his car.

The lil ass hole , did not know, that he did not know, that the position that I was lying down in , :mrgreen: was a stretch :skull:

f**k that idiot

"Perfect character"?

There is no such thing as a "perfect character"

The job skills of a CIA interrogator differ from psychologist

:D

But none of the "sensei" had perfect character, in any way shape or form

And if they did, it was not the result of martial arts

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2019, 3:37 pm

I'm about ten years in with an Inosanto blend - ie. Kali, Kuntao, Wing Chun, JKD, etc.. We're in the midwest and my instructor was actually able to affiliate with Sifu Hatch and Dan Inosanto.

It's good stuff, I like it a lot, and I also like that we lucked out in having an instructor who has the right balance of being a natural fighter from youth who gelled with the stuff but also being someone who can teach. We've kept a really positive environment at our school as well and some of the other students have been commenting that you usually have the problem that a) really good martial arts teachers usually don't take off commercially or just teach out of their garages b) commercially successful teachers usually have to water things down or start playing games with certifiction, and it seems like he was able to be successful and not do either of the two. I think that was some combination of persistence in marketing but also we rooted down in a good place, held out, and the word of mouth finally took off.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2019, 4:11 pm

I took karate classes when I was around ten years old. I was the only student who was a child because the class was at a university my Mom was going to to get her Masters degree.

During one of our stretching exercises we were supposed to pair up with someone, sit on the floor facing each other with our feet touching but our legs stretched out in a "V" shape as far as we could and then grasp each other's wrists. We would take turns pulling each other forward to stretch. I accidentally farted and the college student who was my stretch partner made a big deal about it. I was quite embarrassed and didn't want to participate in the class any longer.