Yoko Ono auctions art for anti-autism, pro-eugenics group.

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2009, 11:32 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7980526.stm
Yoko Ono auctions art for autism
By Tom Lane
BBC News, New York  

Ms Ono will auction off the pieces to raise money for charity

If you have ever wanted a piece of art by Yoko Ono, now is your chance.

The Japanese artist and widow of John Lennon unveiled a new work on the occasion of the United Nation's World Autism Awareness Day.

Her seven-foot (2.1m) mural, entitled "Promise", currently stands in the lobby at the UN in New York, but will be auctioned for an autism charity.

The installation depicts fluffy white clouds against a clear blue sky and is made up of 67 jigsaw-like pieces.

These will be broken down, signed by the artist and auctioned off. The money raised will go to the charity Autism Speaks.

The unveiled work is already missing two pieces. Ms Ono hopes that all 67 pieces will be reunited once a cure for autism is discovered.

Speaking in front of a crowd at the unveiling, she said, "Once the solution for autism is discovered, we will see the sky shimmering in its original beauty, with no holes."

Experts estimate that between 35 million and 67 million people worldwide suffer from autism.

The Chilean ambassador to the UN, Heraldo Munoz, told reporters, "Oftentimes [autism] is thought to be a disease of developed countries. It is not."

He said that this year more children would be diagnosed with autism than cancer, diabetes, Down's Syndrome and Aids.

Autism Speaks said this UN event was one of 100 others that took place around the world, including theatre productions, rallies and fundraisers.

Sarah Brown, the wife of British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, also released a public service announcement on the subject.

-
(Thread title edited for Kittenmeow, and anyone else who doesn't know that hyphens are for connecting one word to another, not connecting one word to an entire phrase)

Last edited by Flismflop on 03 Apr 2009, 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

kittenmeow
Toucan
Toucan

03 Apr 2009, 12:25 am

Your title prompted me to think there was an anti-eugenics charity that Yoko Ono was raising money for and I was thinking, wow. Then it goes on to talk about the usual.

Optician_Of_Urza
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Apr 2009, 3:59 am

How ironic that while claiming to support autism awareness, these celebrities rally behind groups like Autism Speaks who would rather just eradicate us.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2009, 5:23 am

Gosh that's sad. When will people learn that autism needs to be understand and integrated into society through compromise and mutual understanding as opposed to eradicated.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2009, 6:19 am

One less reason for me to like her.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2009, 7:33 am

I think it's curious that I keep reading here how Autism Speaks wants to eradicate those with the genetic differences that related to autism, and, yet, I've never seen anything to verify that. And, yes, I've been to their website. I'm frankly not convinced that they are as bad as folks claim.

Optician_Of_Urza
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Apr 2009, 7:47 am

Quote:
We are dedicated to funding global biomedical research into the causes, prevention, treatments, and cure for autism; to raising public awareness about autism and its effects on individuals, families, and society; and to bringing hope to all who deal with the hardships of this disorder. We are committed to raising the funds necessary to support these goals.

That's from here: http://www.autismspeaks.org/goals.php?WT.svl=Top_Nav

Note the bold. Prevent and cure, ie get rid of.

Quote:
e⋅rad⋅i⋅cate   [i-rad-i-keyt]
–verb (used with object), -cat⋅ed, -cat⋅ing.
1. to remove or destroy utterly; extirpate: to eradicate smallpox throughout the world.
2. to erase by rubbing or by means of a chemical solvent: to eradicate a spot.
3. to pull up by the roots: to eradicate weeds.

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2009, 9:50 am

That's gotta be the most brilliant thing Yoko Ono's done since the three hour movie with nothing but people's butts.

She does have a deep understanding of the plight of the suffering people in the world. Like John Lennon said:

Paris to the Amsterdam Hilton
Honeymooning down by the Seine...
Christ, you know it ain't easy
You know how hard it can be.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2009, 10:26 am

I've always thought Yoko Ono was a complete waste of space, and this is more proof of it. If it weren't for John Lennon, nobody would care about her at all.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2009, 10:47 am

Optician_Of_Urza wrote:
Quote:
We are dedicated to funding global biomedical research into the causes, prevention, treatments, and cure for autism; to raising public awareness about autism and its effects on individuals, families, and society; and to bringing hope to all who deal with the hardships of this disorder. We are committed to raising the funds necessary to support these goals.

That's from here: http://www.autismspeaks.org/goals.php?WT.svl=Top_Nav

Note the bold. Prevent and cure, ie get rid of.

Quote:
e⋅rad⋅i⋅cate   [i-rad-i-keyt]
–verb (used with object), -cat⋅ed, -cat⋅ing.
1. to remove or destroy utterly; extirpate: to eradicate smallpox throughout the world.
2. to erase by rubbing or by means of a chemical solvent: to eradicate a spot.
3. to pull up by the roots: to eradicate weeds.

What I said stands. That's just not evidence of them wanting to eradicate those with the genetic differences related to autism.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2009, 10:54 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
One less reason for me to like her.

Ditto. I already thought she was a crazy b***h, now I wish one of those bullets had hit her.

Seriously, not one bullet?

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2009, 11:15 am

I am in the minority...a yoko ono fan....... :roll:

I am sure that all these celebrities who do stuff for autism speaks are not specifically for eugenics..they just don't understand what they are really campaigning for when they are rubbing elbows with Autism Speaks...

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2009, 11:15 am

MR wrote:
What I said stands. That's just not evidence of them wanting to eradicate those with the genetic differences related to autism.

They assume that autism=suffering, and that the only way to remove the suffering is to remove the autism. Many of us who are autistic tend to assume from our own experiences and from lack of evidence otherwise that the only way to remove autism from society is to remove us from society (rather like homosexuality and left-handedness). Hence cure=get rid of us.

If A=B and B=C, then A=C even if no one says it out loud.

Also, they portray us in ways we object to, yet they still keep doing it.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2009, 12:05 pm

Anemone wrote:
MR wrote:

They assume that autism=suffering, and that the only way to remove the suffering is to remove the autism. Many of us who are autistic tend to assume from our own experiences and from lack of evidence otherwise that the only way to remove autism from society is to remove us from society (rather like homosexuality and left-handedness). Hence cure=get rid of us.

If A=B and B=C, then A=C even if no one says it out loud.

Also, they portray us in ways we object to, yet they still keep doing it.

Are you talking to me, or just using what I said as a taking off point? Because, you seem to be making my point.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2009, 12:12 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
I am sure that all these celebrities who do stuff for autism speaks are not specifically for eugenics..they just don't understand what they are really campaigning for when they are rubbing elbows with Autism Speaks...

That's the thing. They think. "Oh. Autism. That concerns a lot of people. And this is a charity? Charities are good. Okay. I'll participate."

Then they don't do their f*****g research. I mean, typing "Autism Speaks" into google probably comes up with a lot of sites that tell you how much it sucks within... let's say... the first 50 hits. It takes like five minutes.

So these celebrities get asked to do things and they think that because it's a charity, it's automatically good. Like PETA.

"Oh, fuzzy animals! Good cause!"

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

03 Apr 2009, 12:15 pm

i love japanease women but yoko is the ugliest one ive ever seen