Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

misswoofalot
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2009, 6:26 am

My son is aspie as am I and it's great...if he also says he's gay I'd be really happy too. My dad has asthma so no. And I don't know about downs but I would want to speak to ppl with it to see whether they think there life is worth living before judging them, as I expect they
lead full and happy lives.

However, I would probably have an abortion if the father was an A*hole though, if I ever found myself in that situation , or if I got raped etc. Also if I was on lots of medications or drugs and didn't know I was pregnant, or had drunk lots of alcohol.

zeppelin123
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 May 2009, 10:08 am

I have Asperger syndrome and I do not believe that disability is a valid reason to abort a fetus (a fancy word for eugenics in this case). This is for both religious and moral reasons, as well as the fact that the nervous system of the fetus develops fairly early.

The only exception to my strong pro-life viewpoint is if the health of the mother is in danger (this includes severe psychological tramua such as in the case of rape). For instance, I agreed with the abortion in the case of the 9-year-old who was raped by her father.

Other than that, I see abortion is one person's "right to chose" infringing on the rights of another individual to live.

keerawa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 May 2009, 4:29 pm

Aspie here.

If I were to get pregnant, I would have an abortion. I would be a terrible, terrible mother, and any kid with my genes would not thrive in most environments. That little soul can just go for another turn on the merry-go-round; find itself a mother that wouldn't be a disaster.

Xinae
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 May 2009, 4:47 pm

undiagnosed aspie.

No, I wouldn't abort. There's really nothing that cann't be overcome. I am a mother with 2 special needs children, one is aspie and the other was born with a complete clefting of her hard and soft palates, so she speech delayed too. I love them as no other. They are my world.

The Dr's wanted genetic testing with both pg's, and I was adament not to do it. First off, because 1in 500 pg's during testing there is a chance of miscarraige and I was unwilling to take that risk. Secondly because anything the test results came back with wouldn't matter to us. Now the Dr's are pushing for genetic testing with the kids because of thier Rx, and I'm refusing again. Genetic testing for my son isn't going to change anything, so it seems pointless, and with my daughter, they aren't listening to me and what I discovered, they are insisting that it's genetically inhereted, altho no one on either side of the family has a history of clefting, but my Albuterol inhaler which is a Class C drug, is known to have 2 major side effects on fetus, clefting and club foot. I used my inhaler while pg with both kids, no choice, I have asthma, I breathe or I don't.

After all that, I do think it's up to the woman to decide what she wants.

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2009, 10:43 am

I'm a NT and have a son who is nonverbal and very atuistic. I would have never aborted him because of this. I'm pro-choice no women should be told what to do with their bodies. If some how I became pregnant again and the child was going to be any of the things you listed would not abort him or her. Only if the baby would die shorty after birth or caring the child would take my life <as I could not see leaving the childern I already have motherless>. Having said this my husband and I know that having more childern would not be good for our family so he had something done. It seems fair as I had the childern that he shoud be the one to have the operation, that and for a man it's a fast office vist and a week or so recovery for a women it's more complex and a longer down time. I do how ever find the thought that someone would abort a baby for being gay disgusting realy for any of your list. If anyone feels that they could not ever be a parent or are very sure they would never want a child that might not be exactly what they thing of as perfect I realy thing getting a premate fix is a great idea.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2009, 12:37 pm

1. Aspie

2. While I am pro-choice, the only reason I would abort is if it was a pregnancy that I really don't want to be in.

Now if I had a planned pregnancy and found out that the child would have any of these conditions... I will admit that 'thoughts' of aborting would go through my mind, but I would most likely keep the child... and honestly, I think most of us are guilty of those same thoughts but just don't want to admit it because we know the hardships of growing up autistic, aspie, adhd, or whatever the case may be, and being able to prevent social suffering against someone is a power I think a lot of us would like to have.

Demonique
Raven
Raven

22 Jun 2009, 6:56 pm

ensabah6 wrote:
first are you aspie/nt.

Aspie

ensabah6 wrote:
would you be willing to abort your prengancy 1 trimester if you know it has autism, gay, cerabl palsi,down syndrome genes, hemophillia, or ashthma genes.

Yes to all of the above, mainly because I can't stand the little frakkers and don't want children FULL STOP.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2009, 3:36 pm

1. Aspie
2. No, I would never abort a baby unless the baby's life was in danger not long after birth or my life was at risk.

trekster
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Aug 2009, 7:41 pm

ensabah6 wrote:
first are you aspie/nt.

would you be willing to abort your prengancy 1 trimester if you know it has autism, gay, cerabl palsi,down syndrome genes, hemophillia, or ashthma genes.

Im an aspie and if my child was disabled or gay that wouldnt be a deciding factor is killing my unborn kid. If however my life was in grave danger i would consider the murder of my kid to save me. Please dont call it abortion to glorify killing someone as thats what it is killing.

YoshiPikachu
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2009, 10:16 pm

I have autism and no I would not have a abortion for any reason. I think that abortion is wrong!

07 Aug 2009, 2:57 am

Aspie here.

Not sure but I wouldn't abort my baby if it had DS or autism or asthma or was gay. I don't know what hemopillia is.

Besides there is no way of telling anyway that soon if it has any birth defects (they don't know until 22 weeks) and no way you are going to know if it's going to be gay when it grows up or have asthma and I don't think doctors are going to know your baby has an autism gene. And CP is caused by lack of oxygen to the brain.

Saspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Aug 2009, 4:38 am

ensabah6 wrote:
first are you aspie/nt.

I am aspie.

I would abort a fetus that was likely to have a serious disability - as in, it would never be able to live independently. I know that is not a popular thing to say but I do not have the capacity to care for a severely disabled child. I have had seriously disabled family members so I know what it involves to look after someone who cannot look after themselves for the rest of their lives and I never ever want to be responsible for someone who requires that level of care.

I would also abort any fetus that resulted from me being raped. I don't want to birth a child of a rapist and I don't want a child to be raised knowing they were in part the product of a rapist.

As far as things like homosexuality, mild disabilities, mild autism, asthma and so forth, I would not abort.

My partner has similar views to me.

All that being said, I hope never to have a child as I have no interest in raising one. Given my age though, I cannot say with certainty that I won't change my mind about this at some point.

LinnaeusCat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Aug 2009, 5:13 am

1. Aspie.

2. I have never wanted children at all, so if a miracle happened and I got pregnant (my husband had a vasectomy as he feels the same way) I would have an abortion as early as possible. As you might guess, I'm obviously pro-choice.

My personal opinion is that children deserve commited, loving parents who will give them all the resources they need so they can move towards self-actualization, be productive, and happy, etc. in the long and short term.

I greatly prefer the company of adults to children and enjoy my freedom (like many intentionally childfree people, I have plenty of responsibility in my life and do not need more) so I would not be willing or interested in making that particular life commitment.

INTJ.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 1:41 pm

I'm ADHD. I can hardly take care of myself, so taking care of a person disabled in any way would be a nightmare. I wouldn't care about sexual orientation though.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 8:10 pm

I'm NT (sort of) with an Aspie son and a hubby with muscular dystrophy (probable Aspie as well). I would never abort a baby for any reason other than my own life being at risk since I already have 2 babies and a hubby to care for. I believe all lives have something to offer and we make way too much of disabilities to begin with. So what if you're in a wheelchair or your brain functions differently. I think we could learn a lot from those who are different from us and I find this devaluing of life rather oppressive.

These are my beliefs and I respect others who believe differently and so I am pro-choice. I do wish that people would give serious consideration to adoption though. There are many people who struggle with infertility who would make amazing parents. Perhaps if adoption was more accepted and embraced, there wouldn't be such a rush for these hopeful parents-to-be to go through IVF or other invasive procedures only to wind up with crushed dreams or more than they can handle. The women I know who have had abortions, my mother included, have had regrets and a heavy weight of guilt that never fully leaves. The adoptive parents that I know have all said that there is no diffence whatsoever in the amount of love they have for their adopted kids vs a parent's love for their genetic children. Adoption really seems like a win-win to me.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2009, 3:49 pm

1) diagnosed aspie and A.D.D

2) I would like to think that no, I would never abort bcs my child was going to be born with a disability, but I don't think you can ever really know what you would do unless you were actually in a situation like that. Well, at least I don't know what I would do if I found out the child had a condition like Downs Syndrome. I hope I would be strong enough to bring the child into the world and raise and love him/her.

I know for sure I wouldn't if the child was going to be gay or HFA though.