Page 2 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2009, 3:49 pm

1) diagnosed aspie and A.D.D

2) I would like to think that no, I would never abort bcs my child was going to be born with a disability, but I don't think you can ever really know what you would do unless you were actually in a situation like that. Well, at least I don't know what I would do if I found out the child had a condition like Downs Syndrome. I hope I would be strong enough to bring the child into the world and raise and love him/her.

I know for sure I wouldn't if the child was going to be gay or HFA though.

murasaki_ahiru
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2009, 10:35 pm

Diagnosed mild Aspergers plus a bit of depression and anxiety.
Yes I would abort if the child had a severe problem. Why? Because sometimes it is better that way. What quality of life would they have. I think parents who keep children like that are being cruel and selfish tbh. Not to mention the cost on society financially.

I don't care if my child was gay as I don't give a F if someone is. Alot of my friends are and I like them for them the gay part of them is only a tiny bit of the whole person. At the end of the day I don't want kids as they would inherit AS and don't want to burden the world with my mistake. I'd get sterilized tomorrow if I could.

sg33
Raven
Raven

09 Aug 2009, 11:10 pm

number5 wrote:
I find this devaluing of life rather oppressive.

Be careful of how you phrase that. Some people who choose abortion for a fetus that would become a severely handicapped person do so because they do not have sufficient financial and/or social resources to care for a disabled person. The "devaluing of life" is often on the part of greedy insurance companies, selfish governments and uncaring and/or equally disadvantaged peers, not on the part of glib pregnant people.

number5 wrote:
I do wish that people would give serious consideration to adoption though. There are many people who struggle with infertility who would make amazing parents. Perhaps if adoption was more accepted and embraced, there wouldn't be such a rush for these hopeful parents-to-be to go through IVF or other invasive procedures only to wind up with crushed dreams or more than they can handle.

Those "amazing parents" could all have children tomorrow if they weren't racist. They're greedy for healthy, white babies, of which there are few. There are plenty of sick white babies, healthy brown babies, and healthy white kids available for adoption from foster care, who most adoptive parents don't want.

number5 wrote:
The women I know who have had abortions, my mother included, have had regrets and a heavy weight of guilt that never fully leaves.

That is hardly universal.
* ... the risk of significant psychological problems was "miniscule from a public health perspective".
* ... legal abortion of an unwanted pregnancy in the first trimester does not pose a psychological hazard for most women.
* ... women who are terminating pregnancies that are wanted and personally meaningful, who lack support from their partner or parents for the abortion, or who have more conflicting feelings or are less sure of their decision before hand may be a relatively higher risk for negative consequences.
* ... severe negative reactions are rare and are in line with those following other normal life stresses.

Source: References section of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_and_mental_health

number5 wrote:
Adoption really seems like a win-win to me.

Win-win... one of the wins is for the adoptive parents, the other win is for the baby.

... but what about the birth mother?
http://web.archive.org/web/200712030322 ... _knew.html

number5
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 1:37 pm

sg33, I can assure you that an insurance company would rather a special needs baby be aborted - that costs a lot less than long term care. As far as the children available for adoption, that varies widely with location, unless you'd like to pay 30K plus to import a child. I struggled for years with infertility and looked closely into the matter. There were no babies at all in my area, healthy, white, black, etc. There were a lot of older children from all races and abilities though. Sure most people would like a healthy baby. I was simply making an observation on the fact that women go to tremendous medical lengths to create a pregnancy and at the same time there are many women looking to get rid of a pregnancy. I was just noting a possible natural solution. As for your statistics on mental health, they are simply that - statistics. Abortions may lead to psychological problems "miniscule from a public health perspective," but I'm speaking from a personal perspective. Regret is not measured by statistics and my mother's psychological problems were far from miniscule. The birth mother is not part of the win-win equation because having an unwanted pregnancy is not a win situation to begin with. Either you will abort or give the child up for adoption - either way there is no win.

My devaluing of life comment had more to do with the OP's implication that people with the mentioned conditions such as asthma and homosexuality (not that that is a condition) would be placed on the too messed up to be born list.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 4:56 pm

ensabah6 wrote:
first are you aspie/nt.

would you be willing to abort your prengancy 1 trimester if you know it has autism, gay, cerabl palsi,down syndrome genes, hemophillia, or ashthma genes.

I have autistic disorder.

This is how I'd react if I found out my foetus had the following:

:star: Autism - I would definitely not abort it as he/she has as much right to live as I do, and I'm autistic. Even if I wasn't, I still wouldn't get rid as I think that autism is not something that should be simply exterminated. I have friends with Asperger's and autism and the thought of aborting an autistic foetus is unthinkable.
:star: Homosexuality - I feel the same about homosexuality as I do autism, aborting a homosexual person is unthinkable.
:star: Down's Syndrome, Asthma, Haemophilia - again, unthinkable.
:star: Cerebral Palsy - I really don't know what I would do concerning this. I know three people with cerebral palsy. Two of them have it pretty bad and are unable to speak or look after themselves. However, they are very affectionate and friendly, but I wonder at the quality of their lives. The other guy that I know can speak but, like the others, is unable to walk or look after himself. I am really, utterly, totally unsure as to how I would deal with it, I guess I'd have to be told first on this one. My views on abortion are this: I think you should only abort a child if it will live in pain it's entire life, have no quality of life, if the mother's life is in danger becaue of the pregnancy or if it is a product of rape or incest (rapists don't deserve to violate a woman and then expect her to keep his child, sorry). Cerebral Palsy's a difficult one as it can come in different extremes and only one of the three I know with it are in pain, but all of them have a poor quality of life as they rely on others to look after them constantly. As you may have gathered by now, I am finding it difficult to reach a decision on this.

YoshiPikachu
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 7:57 pm

Fiz wrote:
ensabah6 wrote:
first are you aspie/nt.

would you be willing to abort your prengancy 1 trimester if you know it has autism, gay, cerabl palsi,down syndrome genes, hemophillia, or ashthma genes.

I have autistic disorder.

This is how I'd react if I found out my foetus had the following:

:star: Autism - I would definitely not abort it as he/she has as much right to live as I do, and I'm autistic. Even if I wasn't, I still wouldn't get rid as I think that autism is not something that should be simply exterminated. I have friends with Asperger's and autism and the thought of aborting an autistic foetus is unthinkable.
:star: Homosexuality - I feel the same about homosexuality as I do autism, aborting a homosexual person is unthinkable.
:star: Down's Syndrome, Asthma, Haemophilia - again, unthinkable.
:star: Cerebral Palsy - I really don't know what I would do concerning this. I know three people with cerebral palsy. Two of them have it pretty bad and are unable to speak or look after themselves. However, they are very affectionate and friendly, but I wonder at the quality of their lives. The other guy that I know can speak but, like the others, is unable to walk or look after himself. I am really, utterly, totally unsure as to how I would deal with it, I guess I'd have to be told first on this one. My views on abortion are this: I think you should only abort a child if it will live in pain it's entire life, have no quality of life, if the mother's life is in danger becaue of the pregnancy or if it is a product of rape or incest (rapists don't deserve to violate a woman and then expect her to keep his child, sorry). Cerebral Palsy's a difficult one as it can come in different extremes and only one of the three I know with it are in pain, but all of them have a poor quality of life as they rely on others to look after them constantly. As you may have gathered by now, I am finding it difficult to reach a decision on this.

I agree with what you said. I had teacher whos daughter had Cerebral Palsy and she can do lots of stuff.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 11:58 pm

I would not abort for any reason, because I believe that life begins at conception, and I love people who have disabilities. I affectionately call them 'Sids' after my favourite character.

Stassia_Florine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Aug 2009, 2:15 pm

I am PDD-NOS and would not abort my baby no matter what I found out about him. If my child wanted to die, and meant it, I would help him/her, but I would never force death on my own child if he/she did not want it. The same thing for any of you. You are my family. I love you all not in spite of the fact that you have ASDs, but maybe even because of them. Because you know the rights of the individual and that individuality needs to be respected and not trodden on, violated or changed.

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Sep 2009, 11:05 am

Diagnosed Asperger's Syndrome.

For homosexuality (or not 100% heterosexual orientation), no. Asthma would depend on the likely severity, if it were calculable. Asperger's & Autism would depend on whether each is determined to be genetically different from the other or not, calcualted severity, etc. For the rest, assuming a test within the first trimester was available, yes.

guineapigirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Sep 2009, 4:11 pm

I was diagnosed with AS and I would not abort my child, no matter what disability or sexual orientation they have. Even if my child would turn out severely mentally ret*d, I would still keep them because I believe every child has a right to live and I would not be able to live with the guilt. If I felt I wouldn't be able to take care of them I would put them up for adoption, but I would opt for an open adoption so I can still be a part of their life. I believe abortion should only be used in cases of rape, incest, or life of the mother and I also believe that if you are not ready to raise kids, you shouldn't be having sex in the first place. If I did get pregnant, I would still allow for safe genetic testing so that I can be prepared to raise a child with hemophilia, cerebral palsy, or any other birth defect/disability. Like most of you, I believe that aborting an autistic or gay child is disgusting and unimaginable.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2009, 4:54 pm

do you (most of you) really have to be so judgemental in your posts? a simple yes, no would suffice, no point getting all righteous about it :roll:

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2009, 9:20 pm

Didn't really see it as a yes or no question myself and peoples feelings run deep on both sides of the isuse.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2009, 12:05 pm

CRD wrote:
Didn't really see it as a yes or no question myself and peoples feelings run deep on both sides of the isuse.

ok I guess most people do get all emo about it. nevermind then.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2009, 4:49 am

"People are emo too" - Benny Ratzinger (chief emo)

:wink:

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 6:14 pm

1)I'm NT

2)This came up when I was pregnant. Because of my age, the OB strongly advised that I have an amniocentesis test done which would rule out- among other things- Down's Syndrome (I can't remember what the other things were, but nothing from your list). I declined, stating that I wouldn't abort regardless of the results. She gave me a talking to on how difficult it would be to raise a Down's Syndrome baby but I still declined.

As far as I can tell, a lot of women declined. The test for Down's Syndrome has been available for quite some time now and there are babies born with it even so. I know people are very concerned about a potential test for autism that would result in abortion and the end of autism/Asperger's Syndrome. That potentiality has been a reality for Down's Syndrome for many years and yet babies are born with it even so. So I think in reality saying "I would not abort" is something many pregnant women have chosen in reality.

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 9:48 pm

Janissy wrote:
1)I'm NT

2)This came up when I was pregnant. Because of my age, the OB strongly advised that I have an amniocentesis test done which would rule out- among other things- Down's Syndrome (I can't remember what the other things were, but nothing from your list). I declined, stating that I wouldn't abort regardless of the results. She gave me a talking to on how difficult it would be to raise a Down's Syndrome baby but I still declined.

As far as I can tell, a lot of women declined. The test for Down's Syndrome has been available for quite some time now and there are babies born with it even so. I know people are very concerned about a potential test for autism that would result in abortion and the end of autism/Asperger's Syndrome. That potentiality has been a reality for Down's Syndrome for many years and yet babies are born with it even so. So I think in reality saying "I would not abort" is something many pregnant women have chosen in reality.

Some women found out before hand that they are having a baby with downs and are just better prepared to take care of the kids needs like getting a idea of what to expect, also those kids some times have heart isuses they are born with so it's better for the doctors to know before hand so they can be ready if the need the extra care.