Page 4 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2009, 5:07 pm

Azharia wrote:
A living baby with a heart beat, feelings that can feel pain!

that's quite far into pregnancy, abortion is not usually done at this stage.

YoshiPikachu
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 2:40 pm

I think abortion is very wrong and if I was pregnant and someone said to get a abortion, I would start yelling at them!

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

21 Oct 2009, 6:46 pm

I'd do the tests, but only in case my baby did have something like Down's.. just so I can prepare for when s/he's born.

Azharia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Oct 2009, 5:38 pm

anna-banana wrote:
Azharia wrote:
A living baby with a heart beat, feelings that can feel pain!

that's quite far into pregnancy, abortion is not usually done at this stage.

Actually it's not that far in at all. And even worse, some areas do abortions horrifically late! Look it up. But don't expect me to answer any reply. Not being rude... HOLIDAY tomorrow!! !

But for an example of an aware baby...
http://livingtheway.org/handofhope.html

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 9:45 pm

I'm an aspie.

Would I abort a zef if it
had autism? Depends on how severe. HF, no; LF, yes.
Was gay? No.
Had cerebral palsy? Yes.
Had down syndrome? Yes (zefs don't have 'down's syndrome genes'; they have and extra chromosome. There's no such thing as an unaffected Down's carrier).
Had hemophillia? N/A; I'm not a carrier, and therefore couldn't have an offspring with hemophilia. I wouldn't abort a zef heterozygous for hemophilia, but I would educate it on the potential prolem for its own future offspring.
Had asthma genes? Depends on the severity. Low-level asthma runs in the family, so this is actually quite likely; I wouldn't abort for low-level asthma, but I would for severe asthma.

@^^^:
A heartbeat forms quite early in development, but a working nervous system takes a lot longer. Zefs don't have human EEG patterns until well into the 3rd trimester; no working brain = no ability to feel pain.

That picture, btw, does not represent what the PL movement claims it represents. Just for starters, the mother (and therefore the fetus) were both under general anesthesia - ie, unable to purposfully grab anything.
http://www.snopes.com/photos/medical/thehand.asp

Azharia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Nov 2009, 4:53 pm

back from hols!

Met a gorgeous baby there same age as mine (16 mths) who was born at 24 weeks gestation. (NOT third trimester)
He was perfect, handsome, gorgeous smile, and had no issues at all!

Sounds like he was already a person at 24 weeks..

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 12:01 am

You met him a long time past his 24 weeks birth. He had grown to 'full term' outside his mother's uterus, and then some; that doesn't mean that he had any more of a brain at 24 weeks than any other fetus, just that he was removed from maternal life support at that stage and placed on mechanical life support.
http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/294/8/947
quote:
Evidence regarding the capacity for fetal pain is limited but indicates that fetal perception of pain is unlikely before the third trimester.

He was lucky.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premature_birth

Currently, the extreme lower limit of viability is 21 weeks. There are serious risks of complications with early delivery.
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/c ... /112/2/351
quote:
Adverse outcome (dead or abnormal neurologic, psychomotor, or mental development) in infants 23 to 24, 25, 26, and 27 to 32 weeks GA was, respectively, 92% (11 of 12), 64% (7 of 11), 35% (8 of 23), and 18% (40 of 220).

Azharia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Nov 2009, 9:31 am

I think this has strayed from the original question so I will stop arguing. :)

I am firmly anti abortion but I know that the anti-abortion and pro-abortion people rarely convince one another, and us Aspies can be notoriously stubborn. :) So this is maybe not a route of discussion to continue. :)

laura123
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Nov 2009, 6:43 pm

NT here.
No, I wouldn't abort my baby. I declined the tests when I was pregnant, I couldn't see the point of having them.

ticktockpop

25 Dec 2009, 1:19 am

I am an aspie. If I got pregnant and wanted a baby, I would probably have an early abortion if it was confirmed that the baby had spina bifida or downs syndrome. However, I have heard of many cases that the tests say one thing and the child is born just fine.

If it had autism, definitely not. I would like that. I think I would like it even if the child was non-communicative. There is something about me that makes children come to me. They always seem to relate to me somehow, so I think I would be OK with an autistic child. I think it is because I understand that it is not about me and what I want; they have their own world, and as an autistic individual, that world is even bigger, more intense.

My child has Asperger's just like me. She is awesome. :D

I don't see a problem with early abortion. Raising a child is a huge responsibility. If people are not ready for it, they really should not have them.

In fact, I think people should have to go through an application before they can have children to prove that they are able and normal.

Let's be clear here --- I AM NORMAL. In my way, in my world. I am not talking NT or Aspie here, just... you know... nice and kind and understanding, albeit not really schmoozy or social; which in my world is normal.

So, no one would feel unwanted throughout their childhood, or misunderstood, or unloved.

:(

glamourdollxoxo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Dec 2009, 3:15 pm

Half NT here (I have ADHD if that explains why I put half NT) and if my baby had a condition that left them in the state of being a vegetable I would. My friend's daughter was born with half of her brain and she died a few hours after being born. Had she survived she would have lived her life on life support which isn't a life I would want for my child. I wouldn't abort if my baby had something like autism, downs, etc.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2009, 6:02 am

I am aspie.

I saw a doco on genetic testing and one doctor said that IVF was a way to avoid passing on bad genes (like the ones for SCAR a genetic disorder basically u lose your ability to move around and do stuff for yourself) but if u aborted an embyro that tested postive for some disorder like SCAR there was a chance that the embryo that was selected could have some more severe condition.
one embryo might have a disorder that sets in at 45 another might have a real bad disorder which results in not being able to live past 1 year.

would I abort? depends.

would I do the tests? probably

but I don't want kids anyhow so I plan not to get pregnant.