Do You live in your own little world?

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MindOfOrderedChaos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2006, 3:10 am

I am just wondering how many people have disapeared away from the real world. The world with people. And spend alot more time on the computer or just doing there own thing no caring about whats going on in the wider world.

I always try and fit in and improve my life in the real world plus look for a partner. I heard some one say some thing interesting about living in there own world. And I thought maybe I would be happier to just give up trying to communicate with others and fit in and get a job and stuff etc. And just potter around the house and stay on the computer the rest of my life. Just locking my self in my own world of thought about things I am interested in with out any stress from the real world. Im not planning to do this but I just thought what if...

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2006, 5:19 am

I have over the course of my life realized that with the exception of at most 3 people, i've never gotten a response that didn't frustrate me to some degree. The forum works differently because i can just SEND OUT my comments and never look at the responses.

The pages are always sympathetic to your thoughts. If it were not for my infernal eternal spring of hope when it comes to socializing with people, that i may one day find friends and perhaps a mate which work so perfectly with me they almost never frustrate me with socializing, i would become a COMPLETE recluse and just build a world of writing around me. Characters to talk to, illustrate ideas with stories. Talking to myself on several levels in written form. Coming out only to work and for maitenance social interaction(services, food).

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2006, 5:31 am

if only
even virtual life is dangerous
if i lived in my own little world i would not even be on the computer.

if you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

Lurker_Extraordinaire
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2006, 6:21 am

MindOfOrderedChaos wrote:
I am just wondering how many people have disapeared away from the real world. The world with people. And spend alot more time on the computer or just doing there own thing no caring about whats going on in the wider world.

I always try and fit in and improve my life in the real world plus look for a partner. I heard some one say some thing interesting about living in there own world. And I thought maybe I would be happier to just give up trying to communicate with others and fit in and get a job and stuff etc.

This has happend to me to some degree, and not on purpose.
It just sort of happened over time, and it's the happiest I've been.
Steady job, financially secure, live alone, no outside stress. Just me, my cat and my interests.

BUT

I still have 2 REAL friends I see semi-regularly....and that's very important.
If they weren't in my life I'd be pretty bad off.....I've been there before so I know.

I need to be around others more than I like to admit.
I have a double life of sorts. Me at work and around freinds, and then me at home.

It's just not healthy to be completely shut out.
Also, one needs to develope and maintain the skills necessary to keep a job and function in the real world.....rather difficult to do if your not around others.

one1ai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2006, 6:45 am

You can live in your own world to a certain degree.

There is no one who is completely in their own world, or completely in this world.
I am to a degree in this world.(this of course changes over every single millisecond or "change" during time).

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2006, 7:36 am

I live in at least 3 Worlds. All but one are fantasy worlds.

Last edited by hale_bopp on 03 Jan 2006, 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2006, 7:59 am

That's my life at home at the current moment. In fact I moved into my own world when I was in high school.

It's nice too. Don't have to interact with society, don't have worry about what others think of you. I can just drop off the face of the earth and not have to worry about being missed since no one cares to remember me anyways.

CDRhom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2006, 11:13 am

I live in my own little world, but it is ok they know me here. It keeps me sane after all I've seen.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2006, 12:32 pm

I live in my own world on the outskirts of the larger world. I come out of my world and visit every now and then.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Funaho
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jan 2006, 1:33 pm

My world is not small. it's very large but only has one inhabitant.

synchro
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jan 2006, 3:54 pm

I barely exist in the real world and spend most of my time on the computer. When I’m not on the computer, I am out doing things…alone.

I’m in my own world and mostly like it, except that I have a strong desire to share my inner world with one person and that may not be possible. At least, not as I imagine it. As I age, I find that my need for socializing is rapidly disappearing. My family, co-workers, and online friends completely satisfy my social requirements. At this point in life, I don’t see myself developing any kind of social network. I am so withdrawn and selfish with my time that I wouldn’t be able to be have a real friendship. When it comes to male/female relationships, I am more than willing to make time in my life. That kind of relationship trumps everything. But I wouldn’t even consider doing such a thing just to have friends.

Lately I’ve been thinking about how self-absorbed I am and how impossible it has always felt to thrive in the outer world. By outer world, I mean the world of people, careers, socializing, raising children, “achieving,” etc. I don’t really want any of it. Independence would be nice, but has always seemed a pipe dream to me. I am not only unwilling to make the effort and sacrifices to achieve it, but also feel that I will only succeed if someone else “tolerates” me. Instead of adapting and conforming, I am becoming more resistant to societal expectations. I withdraw further and deeper and I suppose my life appears strange and unrewarding to other people.

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2006, 4:04 pm

The problem with living in your own little world and withdrawing from the larger one is that you lose all the social skills that are so hard to develop anyway. They atrophy is an amazingly short amount of time, possibly because they don't come naturally?

I left off working just two weeks ago, and already I have an almost complete lack of interest in even going to the grocery store, calling anyone, or seeing any people. It will be at least 2-6 more weeks before I return to work....and my work requires constant social interaction.

On the other hand, I feel a lot more relaxed, happy, and creative than I did when I was all stressed out from having to deal with people all day long. I actually feel like myself again for a change.

There must be some kind of a middle ground....

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2006, 4:19 pm

It's called my mind. The paths are twisty and turny, so I often get lost.

pad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2006, 7:40 pm

If your an aspie every day your living in your own world...

aprillove
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jan 2006, 8:36 pm

oh yes--and i want to be there more and more!! !! it's a real battle to stay here and interact. i think my kids force me to, but i do wonder what will happen when they are grown and gone and it's just me and my husband. it's a real battle for me to stay in this world. sometimes i want so much just to go in my closet and disappear (i have a love seat in my closet where i write). my second book is really about that battle i face.
april

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2006, 9:00 pm

Yes, I live in my own little world most of the time. Only a few people are allowed inside to look and interact. I even wrote a story (which is still being edited) about it.