Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2006, 10:20 pm

Blanford wrote:
Despite what anyone thinks, it's human nature to try to figure out where they're from after a certain length is cut from Man's Timeline.

We have created religions and built churches, we have spent a cornucopia of money on preachers to give us our placebo every week. We place trust in something that can not be scientifically proven. We do not place faith in humanity, and if we did, the world would be a farther more rational, safe place.

Men can do no evil except by religious conviction.

Sadly, many decide to keep the spiritual crutch, denying them the pleasures that make life satisfying. Priests give up the love of a woman for life to instead read out of a book and say a prayer for no rational reason. Faith is faith, and it is nothing more.

As for me, my beliefs are clear. There is no reason to justly believe in a God. All apologetics, all revelations, all questions can be answered in a scientific sense. People used to believe tourettes was a demon manifestation. Today we know the truth. How ignorant we were to actually think that Zeus created man! How wise we are today to know that it is not Zues, but Jesus that instead created man! Oh, I am glad that humans are holier and more are saved from hell than back then.

I am making myself clear, I doubt anything is opaque in this post now. Now, I am not all-knowing, but bring all pro-religious questions to me and I'll try my damnest to answer them in a scientific sense.

Right, well in a scientific sense can you tell us the meaning of life? I mean, the only explanation for life's meaning is provided by Darwin and all that he suggests is simply having sexual intercourse with as many women as possible and to avoid the use of condoms/effective birth control, which is obviously unsatisfactory for a deeper philosophical meaning. Perhaps religion is not true but it instills a deeper philosophical meaning into life that cannot be given by most other sources. Not only this but being religious seems to have benefits as religious people have longer lasting marriages and can use religion as a source of strength. I have even read in my psychology textbook about a psychologist that claimed that some people use God as a secure base for exploration and a safe haven when threatened.

I do realize that you dislike religion for your own reasons and I do dislike the times that religion has interfered with scientific progress, however, the religious gain actual benefits from their religion. The spiritual crutch may provide real advantages for society and for the individuals that partake in such. Religion is a powerful tool and as such I do not think that it should be dismantled but instead needs to be used to further human progress. Rationality has great importance but human actions are never entirely rational, the emotional and spiritual nature of human beings must not be forgotten and religion addresses this.

Blanford
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jan 2006, 5:12 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Right, well in a scientific sense can you tell us the meaning of life?

No, that branches into philosophy. However, I'm reading Plato right now and loving him thoroughly, despite only being on page twenty-six. He's discussing justice and government with Socrates and his friends.

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
...I do not think that it should be dismantled but instead needs to be used to further human progress.

Neither do I, religion shouldn't be dismantled.

It should be deteriorated, step by step... allowing humans to not be shocked when all their views are suddenly taken away. When we use the step by step approach, people can learn gradually what it means to set their own morals, instead of buying them for two bucks at the offering plate each week.

Religion used to be necessity, but it's going down the road that now it's not so much as one. Christian populations have decreased ten percent worldwide since last decade, and people are taking Christianity and instead going by morals instead of scaring everyone about Hell.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2006, 5:38 pm

I don't think that religion should be eliminated or weakened at all. On the contrary I think it needs to be strengthened because of the fact that it provides a strong ethical background for young minds. Maybe I think that an ideal religion would have certain things about it altered but I think that current religious institutions have a positive effect on society. Reducing the influence of religion would probably have a negative influence on the moral character of most people because without foundations many people would simply go by what they find to be most economical which would include things that are damaging to society.

Blanford
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jan 2006, 6:16 pm

But with all the good benefits of religion, how do you convince someone that a Magical Fairy that lives up in the sky wants you to worship Him? And that if he loves you, but if you don't worship Him, he'll send you straight to Hell?

I think religion is weak, but that its morals are strong. Then again, I also support the Nine Satanic Statements as well as the Ten Commandments.

I stand by my metaphor of the Spiritual Crutch. It's a shame that so many intelligent people waste their potential on Christian Apologetics.

You're kind of right, though, we can't completely demolish religion. It would have side affects on the weak minded that need it.

I can only hope that Humanity shall come to its senses in the future.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2006, 12:10 am

Humanity has no senses to come to. Besides, the nature of the religion barely matters. We could say that the magic fairy only loves the best people and if you don't try hard enough then you will eat crap for all eternity. Whatever, I have my own agnostic side. This does not change my belief that religion has earthly benefits for both the weak and stupid and even for the strong to some extent. Certainly strong people are more likely to reject the fairy but those that accept the fairy would feel more motivated by this intrinisic reward to be good and their best and all of that. People do great and terrible things in the name of religion, it motivates them and this motivation can be used for all sorts of things even in the future of humanity.

alex
Developer
Developer

27 Jan 2006, 12:21 am

which religion believes in a magic fairy? I want to join that one.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2006, 8:35 am

alex wrote:
which religion believes in a magic fairy? I want to join that one.

Probably some cult but you don't need to join a cult to worship a magic fairy just create your own. Creating a cult is an entrepreneurial enterprise. You can do many things like take the worldly possessions of your followers as your own, use your followers as cheap slave labor, I mean L. Ron Hubbard's cult has done wonderfully and he was able to become a millionaire through scientology. Follow his example and become another great American(or whatever country you live in) capitalist