Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2009, 4:33 am

I just bought the boxset, and am trying to watch the episodes. Up to this point, I have only watched Arrival, The Schizoid Man, and A, B, and C (when I borrowed discs out from the library years before), but I am hoping to watch the entire series.

So, what do you guys think of The Prisoner? Masterpiece or mind-****ery?

On sabbatical...

Cyberman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2009, 11:35 am

Quatermass wrote:
I just bought the boxset, and am trying to watch the episodes. Up to this point, I have only watched Arrival, The Schizoid Man, and A, B, and C (when I borrowed discs out from the library years before), but I am hoping to watch the entire series.

Definitely both. And Patrick McGoohan (may he rest in peace) was excellent as Number Six. They used every form of mental torture imaginable on him, and yet he always managed to retain his sanity.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2009, 7:42 pm

Managed to watch The Chimes of Big Ben yesterday. Leo McKern's Number Two was the highlight, that, and the absurdity of the art contest.

On sabbatical...

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2009, 8:21 pm

I've been a fan of The Prisoner ever since childhood, as you can probably tell.

I liked how it explored such concepts as the way our society has dehumanized us, denying us our individuality. Also enjoyed how some episodes questioned the institutions of our society, such as education in "The General," democracy in "Free for All," etc. One episode that was a favorite of mine was "Hammer into Anvil," where Number Six turns the idea of the Village, how nobody knows who the inmates are and who are the wardens against Number Two himself.

I think it's a great series, with many episodes that will make you think.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2009, 8:38 pm

I saw it a few years ago and I really liked it. When I can afford it I'm going to buy the dvds. I'm also curious to see the remake with Ian McKellen and James Caviezel due to air later this year I think. I'm not usually a fan of remakes but I love Ian McKellen.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 6:06 pm

PrisonerSix wrote:

I liked how it explored such concepts as the way our society has dehumanized us, denying us our individuality. Also enjoyed how some episodes questioned the institutions of our society, such as education in "The General," democracy in "Free for All," etc. One episode that was a favorite of mine was "Hammer into Anvil," where Number Six turns the idea of the Village, how nobody knows who the inmates are and who are the wardens against Number Two himself.

I am particularly looking forward to Hammer into Anvil, probably because a Number Two will get their comeuppance.

On sabbatical...

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2009, 10:01 pm

The ending just had me scratching my head...it was a letdown. That being said, I think it was a great series...

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 8:09 pm

Quatermass wrote:

One of the best series ever made. It was way ahead of its time.

ruveyn

Slipperman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Mar 2010, 10:03 pm

I personally think it's an awesome show. I got the whole series on DVD.

Has anyone watched the AMC miniseries remake? IMO it's not near as good as the original...

Tim (aka the Slipperman)

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2010, 11:07 pm

I saw the remake. It wasn't nearly as good as the original. I'm not even sure if it's all that good as its own entity because it was so bland that I've already forgotten most of it. Disappointing, I guess, but there were a few good parts and it's interesting to see a different take on the original series. But overall, for the time I spent watching the remake I wish I had just rewatched the original instead.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2010, 2:36 am

PrisonerSix wrote:

Hammer into Anvil was my most favorite of the original Prisoner series. It was so just. Number Six uses Number Two's cowardice as the weapon to destroy Number Two. Perfect.

ruveyn