My wife just now converted her teddy bear...

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2009, 11:38 pm

...into a weighted stuffed animal. It's amazingly lifelike in both the total weight and the weight distribution! She loves heavy things on her body and head; they calm and comfort her. She likes up to 15 pounds on her head! But the stuffed bear (now stuffed with beans) is just 10 pounds so far. But it's large, so it covers her whole torso like a weighted blanket.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2009, 11:51 pm

What an original idea!

I have a weighted animal... but he tends to purr into my ear when I'm trying to sleep! :)

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 12:24 am

I have two weighted animals, but neither of them like sitting on top of me. They are the dogs. One of them likes to claim part of the bed at night.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 4:17 am

i like the sound of the pressure. sounds as if it would stretch the joints and tendons right out.
i am still considering a rack - one of those upside down ones they advertise on crapp-tv.
one can hang...like a stretching bat.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 9:00 am

If you have a tree with strong branchs or very strong door hinges then why not jump up and grab the branch or the top of the door and hang by your arms from either until you feel better. I do not like the idea of the rack, it sounds too much like something from the dark ages for getting people to confess.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Psygirl6
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Apr 2009, 9:09 am

I have a weighted blanket that I use for pressure that helps me relax when I am all jumpy. I love that weighted stuffed animal idea. Your wife is a very creative person.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 10:22 am

i have made a few weighted stuffed animals in my time, but I guess they are not THAT heavy. I turned a pair of aromatheraputic flax-filled fleece slippers into a dog, the approx size and weight of a medium sized puppy or small lap dog. I use a lot of buckwheat pillows. I mainly like having one on my face when I sleep...To get my stuffed animals to be heavier, I guess I would need a combination of flax and buckwheat or something...