Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 10:49 am

I think I might be allergic to AIR.

Sorenna
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 12:11 pm

I am on no gluten or dairy.

It made a HUGE difference for me. Not much else ever helped me.

Feel free to PM me if you like.

matrixlover
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Apr 2009, 12:13 pm

I would strongly suspect that any child with an allergy to gluten or casein would have a genuine physical manifestation. Gluten allergies and intolerances lead to chronic problems with digestion and often a very bloated tummy. Allergies to casein lead to RESPIRATORY complications, not digestive problems. although my pediatrician tells me that children with milk allergies usually also have failure to thrive. Lactose intolerance leads to digestive problems.

Please, please, please, ALWAYS consult with actual physicans before making a decision to try a GFCF diet. Intolerances/allergies have actual symptoms and MEDICAL tests should be performed. Failure to provide certain foods in a diet may lead to nutritional deficiencies. These deficiencies can be overcome but this must be planned for. Some children on these diets have an increase in digestive problems due to lack of fiber or may have fragile bones if the calcium and vitamin D are not supplied from other sources.

Autism and related conditions are NEUROLOGICAL. It is possible of course to have Autism as well as be allergic to gluten and casein. But a GFCF diet has not been shown by research to CURE Autism. Many people with an ASD may have some issues with communicating discomfort, and if one of these allergies or intolerances is also present, of COURSE the behavior improves when the diet is changed, they FEEL better. But that didn't cure Autism.

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 12:28 pm

Tried GFCF with my son, under the guidance of a doctor, and there was no difference at all. We tried every available option before we went to meds.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 12:31 pm

matrixlover wrote:
Allergies to casein lead to RESPIRATORY complications, not digestive problems. although my pediatrician tells me that children with milk allergies usually also have failure to thrive. Lactose intolerance leads to digestive problems.

I think you might be confusing two different medical problems. Casein is similar molecularly to gluten, which is why people remove it. Cot death has been linked giving cows milk to young babies (but not mother's milk), casein itself hasn't been implicated as far as I am aware.

GFCF, isn’t actually unhealthy, it is more the fact the people are too lazy to cook from raw ingredients. Therefore what they eat is very limited, whereas GFCF is not limited at all.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 7:58 pm

matrixlover wrote:

Autism and related conditions are NEUROLOGICAL. It is possible of course to have Autism as well as be allergic to gluten and casein. But a GFCF diet has not been shown by research to CURE Autism. Many people with an ASD may have some issues with communicating discomfort, and if one of these allergies or intolerances is also present, of COURSE the behavior improves when the diet is changed, they FEEL better. But that didn't cure Autism.

I think that parents that come here are very much aware that autism is neurological, and that a change in diet is not going to change their child. BUT. So very many AS individuals have found that a change in diet, often just gluten, makes them feel better. When they feel better, they function better. A cure, no. But something that could mitigate negative symptoms? YES. WHY it seems to help a certain percentage of those with AS, who knows. But when grown AS adults can report that they think much more clearly and feel better after trying such diet on themselves, I am NOT going to tell parents that it's all smoke and mirrors. A cure - NO. Something to consider, that might help your child - YES. Odds that it helps? Maybe 30%. And the best part? WE here know that it is often only ONE of the two items - gluten OR casein - that can often make a difference. Which makes elimination SO much easier as well as less of health risk.

denjen473
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Apr 2009, 10:04 pm

I am not looking to "cure" my son. I worry that he is a milk and carbs addict since that is ALL he will eat (it's like he can't get enough) and wonder if that might be adding to his inattention and irritability. I have just heard about Celiac disease and thought it might be worth checking out.

vikingwoman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 May 2009, 1:57 pm

I had a friend with two autistic children whose symptoms have been relieved because of a gluten free diet, B12 supplementation...

I noticed with my AS son that his AS symptoms increase when his hayfever increases, and decreases when he gets antihistamine.

This past month, however his digestion has been really off (and so has he). He is totally into bread, breaded foods - anything brown.

I have spectrum-formulated vitamin supplements, but he won't take them (he has a gag reflex and vomits quite a bit).

He can take pills however so I think I might explore some gluten free foods for him to try (he is really really picky), and essential fatty acids.

In June I'm taking him to the same doctor that my friend with 2 autistic sons go to for a full allergy test, poop test (for parasites) and see what happens.

His teachers and pediatrician just want to up his stimulant, but he's having edgier meltdowns taking everyone by surprise. I think he is nutritionally off - and digestion is certainly way off. I also think he is modeling more severe AS behavior from another AS student friend in the same class. So if I find any improvement I'll let you know what worked...

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 5:04 pm

I much prefer diet changes to upping medication. I hope you find something that works for your son, Viking.