Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Redrocket
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Apr 2009, 5:50 pm

Hi Everyone

I had more computer problems again. I haven't had any real computer problems since January 2008. Friday night I was on the internet and all of the sudden my computer slows down, it goes out and then a Windows Blue Stop Screen pops up. I shut off the computer and turn it back on. The same thing happen after I click on the "Blue E" to get back to the Internet. The same thing kept happening as I tried to do several virus scans, go to other problems... it was driving me crazy. I tried calling the people who fixed my computer last January but they were not around. I ended up calling someone else. This person ended up doing a complete format of my entire hard drive and had to reinstall Windows. It appeared a virus got into my computer ate up 1,600 Windows files and caused these problems. So far the computer now works but I have to get things back to where they are (all of you can relate to this) plus I might need more memory since the computer is still slow. I only have 512 MB of RDRAM. Since RDRAM is rare these days this guy who fixed my computer is going to hunt some down for me and contact me when he finds some so he can install it.

I hope everyone is doing well.

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 7:02 pm

Dude, Get a setup that has DDR ram. I'm finding older Dells, E-Machines and Gateways at yards sales with 2 GB DDR memory for even as low as $120. Even generation-one DDR is so much better than SD. I fix computers for a living and I'll have to say than even older SDRAM is beyyer than RD.

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 7:03 pm

Dude, Get a setup that has DDR ram. I'm finding older Dells, E-Machines and Gateways at yards sales with 2 GB DDR memory for even as low as $120. Even generation-one DDR is so much better than SD. I fix computers for a living and I'll have to say than even older SDRAM is beyyer than RD.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2009, 12:08 am

What do you use the computer for?

If you only read mail, etc, do internet and word processing documents on it, then it might be better to get your friend to load it up with Ubuntu Linux - at least that way you're unlikely to mess it up again.

If you play computer games or have some Windows specific applications, then you might not be able to do that.

In any case, linux on a clean system would make your computer much faster - even with only 512 MB RAM.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2009, 2:15 am

RDRAM, when the proper type for your machine, is about the speed equivilent of higher speed DDR2.

It's not hard to find at all, it's just hard to find CHEAP. Big difference.

And your computer should be a lot faster... XP on 512 should run nicely as a fresh install.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2009, 5:23 am

LOL - n00b. So, no attempts to fix it. Just a reinstall. Windows XP works well with 256MB RAM whereas 1GB is ideal. Based on that theory, 8GB RAM should be the same as 1GB to XP But 2GB is apparently enough.

I would have worked to clean the drive rather than giving up and starting again

kip
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2009, 2:03 pm

Keith wrote:
I would have worked to clean the drive rather than giving up and starting again

Yes, but we know how n00bs are... my boss does the same bloody thing.

OP, look for a small shop in your area, a mom and pop type thing. You'll get better service and far more knowledgeable techs.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2009, 10:15 pm

yeah, a reformat is a bit overkill. Some programs can quarantine some files (I guess after 1,600 files or so, you're not getting your OS back)

If you get memory, you'll need to at least try to match your motherboard bus speed to the memory speed. Since memory changes so much, motherboards of a certain age become hard to populate...

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2009, 10:58 pm

Probably needed to reconfigure the flux capacitor to the internal bus speed, increasing performance by 25%.... :lol:

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 1:06 pm

No you reformat the system and actually get REAL internet security. VIPRE Antivirus+ Firewall works well. Same goes for an older copy of Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition. [ Versions 8 and 9 still get updates and work well on older setups.]

I'm using SAV 9 on an older laptop right now. Only has 256MB Memory and around a 900Mhz Processor running Windows XP Home.

The free stuff like AVG is not really good and only found moderate success in Avast!! Even then the free ones comping out now and becoming memory hogs. Which is not good for your system.

About your memory. 512MB is plenty for your computer. If you only have been using this much for this long you don't need it. Hell 512MB makes Windows XP a beast. Even on older Pentium ii'S and III's. Especially with a Intel MoBo with a chipset stamped by Intel. {AMD's, SiS and Via really suck and are poorly designed and programmed. Hence, Why a Pentium II will run Flash Content fine and a K6 will lag behind.]

Also if you use programs like CCleaner once a week as well a defrag you can usually keep your computer as fast as when it got back from repair.

Hope this helps!! PM me if you need any help!! I'm a A++ Certified Technician and work for the public school system!! I maintain the schools computers, printers and servers.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 2:27 pm

Only an idiot reformats when unnecessary. If you know what you are doing, you can perform something similar to a fresh install, with the added bonus of all files being left installed and much quicker than a reinstall done by Windows.

Pentium II Processors are better than K6-2 at 2D graphics, but with 3D graphics, the AMD K6-2 took over.
Even these days, the same story applies. You need the right processor for the right job. Unless you just want a computer for basic use, then cost can buy a good computer that will seem the across platforms

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 3:20 pm

Redrocket wrote:
Hi Everyone

I had more computer problems again. I haven't had any real computer problems since January 2008. Friday night I was on the internet and all of the sudden my computer slows down, it goes out and then a Windows Blue Stop Screen pops up. I shut off the computer and turn it back on. The same thing happen after I click on the "Blue E" to get back to the Internet.

Honestly using IE [Internet Exploder} is a risk probably causing you to get these nasties. Use this instead.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

Mr_M
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Apr 2009, 3:31 pm

As Gamefreak said having good internet security software is highly reccomended

Well as for firewall software(if you dont have a hardware firewall) i might reccomend looking at the list on this site... matousec.com coincidentally the top rated one "Comodo" is also free, but a bit complicated to use. If you do go for it though, just get the standalone firewall.

I belive Eset NOD32 and Kaspersky were two of the top AV systems out there at the moment. I used to use AVG free and i never had a single problem with it and it caught a handfull of viruses when i used it. I decided to try out NOD32 this last year and i think its an excelent peice of software.. but as i hardly seem to pick up any viruses i think i might as well just switch back to AVG free.

Also try not to use Internet Explorer. If you like plugins i reccomend Firefox and if you like a fast loading website i reccomend either Opera or Google Chrome.
(if you use firefox i would reccomend getting Adblock plus, BugMeNot, and Tab Mix Plus plugins. I use more but those are the ones i reccomend.)