Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

kittenmeow
Toucan
Toucan

06 Apr 2009, 2:18 am

Tahitiii wrote:
millie wrote:
My dear, you have just about covered the entire gamut of the western world in that opening post, with a small sprinkle beyond just for safe measure.
That's the feeling I got.

Quote:
Who, pray, is not on the spectrum?
George Bush. He's pure sociopath.

A sociopath is the opposite of an Aspie.

Has no genuine feelings --------------- Does have feelings
Pretends well, shows feelings -------- Expresses differently, hard to read
Understands people, doesn't care --- Does care, doesn't understand
Nonstop lies ------------------------------ Loyalty to the truth
People fall for the lies ------------------ Tells truth and no one believes
Predator ----------------------------------- Prey
Full of himself ----------------------------- Social anxiety

You put it in a very great way. That was excellent. To the point.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2009, 2:34 am

The list is not perfect, and there are many exceptions. But, I know exactly what the OP is talking about. He is obviously gifted with 'pattern recognition' as many of us(aspies) are, and it just so happens that this is an area where he excels. I also find patterns naturally, and agree with his list. Like I said, the list is not perfect because this gift is mostly internal, and hard to accurately put into words.

I am willing to bet that if there were a line-up of 20 people, and 5 of them were moderate to low functioning autistics....that he(OP) or I, would be able to identify those five people, with surprising accuracy. And, I'm sure that many others could do the same. My point being....that there are universal characteristics that come with autism. For example...The very lowest functioning autistics would be easy to recognize by their photo alone, and the further away you move from that lowest point, the less likely it is that these traits will still be there. This will progress all the way up through AS, and continue all the way to NT. Of course, there will always be exceptions throughout the entire spectrum(low functioning thru NT), and all those will be variations from the baseline.

The list might not be perfect....but the ability to recognize autism physically, is real.

Those who know, don't speak.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2009, 2:44 am

jb, that was a really balanced response. I think I'm inclined to agree that there may be something to pattern recognition; not anything of proof-positive or absolutely quantifiable but certainly capable of giving an inclination. It would take someone familiar with the quirks and intricacies of spectrum expressions to catch how mine have mutated and evolved, but I also do not doubt that one sensitive would pick up on them almost immediately.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2009, 3:28 am

I dont know about that list of famous people, many of them are NT. But the list of facial traits are different. I have a few of them, such as

Fin wrote:
-- large round eyes (sometimes frog-like),
-- Elf ears that are pointed
-- Cheek dimples
-- Fine silky hair
-- Large rabbity incisors, often with a gap between them
-- Subtle androgyny

mind you that isnt that much. I think the only traits I have of note that are weird are the large eyes and the pointed elf ears and subtle androgyny.

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2009, 3:32 am

Some more common facial features have been found in research or noted by professionals. Structures around the eye area, for instance.

I don't know about the rest of the list, but it fit me so well I started to get paranoid. :lol:

millie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2009, 3:39 am

Quote:
jawbrodt wrote:
The list is not perfect, and there are many exceptions. But, I know exactly what the OP is talking about. He is obviously gifted with 'pattern recognition' as many of us(aspies) are, and it just so happens that this is an area where he excels. I also find patterns naturally, and agree with his list. Like I said, the list is not perfect because this gift is mostly internal, and hard to accurately put into words.

I am willing to bet that if there were a line-up of 20 people, and 5 of them were moderate to low functioning autistics....that he(OP) or I, would be able to identify those five people, with surprising accuracy. And, I'm sure that many others could do the same. My point being....that there are universal characteristics that come with autism. For example...The very lowest functioning autistics would be easy to recognize by their photo alone, and the further away you move from that lowest point, the less likely it is that these traits will still be there. This will progress all the way up through AS, and continue all the way to NT. Of course, there will always be exceptions throughout the entire spectrum(low functioning thru NT), and all those will be variations from the baseline.

The list might not be perfect....but the ability to recognize autism physically, is real.

Jawbrodt...I am not questioning the sytematisation, the pattern recognition or the methodology.
I am questioning the content.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2009, 4:03 am

millie wrote:
Jawbrodt...I am not questioning the sytematisation, the pattern recognition or the methodology.
I am questioning the content.

"Like I said, the list is not perfect because this gift is mostly internal, and hard to accurately put into words."

I thought he did OK, and I would say that he's around 70% accurate. He shouldn't have been so 'certain' with his post though. In order to make those statements it would take alot of research and study, before a precise baseline could be established. Off the top of his head...I still think he did a good job. :thumleft:

Those who know, don't speak.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2009, 4:32 am

I'm getting really confused with how those physical traits are described, but I think I can relate to a few of them.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2009, 4:32 am

yeah. i do see what you are saying. :D

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2009, 4:39 am

To original poster:

Do you also go by bumps on the head (phrenology)?

ruveyn

millie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2009, 4:41 am

^ chuckle. :)

Ligea_Seroua
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2009, 5:00 am

Jeez, don't give the list to Autism Speaks, they'll be rounding us up into guantanamo style camps.

Fin
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Apr 2009, 5:26 am

What is Autism Speaks? I've never heard of it.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2009, 5:35 am

Beware, you wanted feedback.

Fin wrote:
-- Deep-set eyes with a pronounced epicanthic fold, large round eyes (sometimes frog-like), or eyes whose inside corner is lower than the outside corner

Mine's not at all like that. No epicanthic fold either.
Fin wrote:
-- A cupid’s-bow mouth that’s higher in the middle than at the sides

Yeah, if you don't smile much because you can't smile, then the corners of your mouth are often quite low.
Fin wrote:
-- A nasal bridge that lies about 45 degrees from the vertical or is curved like a ski jump, and the nose flares out slightly at the bottom and is often round or triangular and visibly divided into two cartilage lobes

Gosh, mine's huge and everything but you described.
If the bridge of the nose is flat and curvy they probably got Fetal-Alcohol-Syndrome.
Fin wrote:
-- Elf ears that are large, pointed or square

So this sounds as if it could be about any shape of ears (square or pointed, large but elf like).
Fin wrote:
-- Cheek dimples or a chin dimple

Many people have this and most are not autistic.
Fin wrote:
-- High forehead, or a large head in general

Can't be. Actually studies say that the head size of autistic toddlers is abnormally high, but not that of adults.
Fin wrote:
-- Fair, often translucent skin

That was already commented on.
Fin wrote:
-- Short fingernails

You know that's entirely due to behaviour. It may be that those with sensory issues prefer short fingernails.
Fin wrote:
-- Fine silky hair

Mine's like straw.
Fin wrote:
-- Thin tapering eyebrows that look like they’ve been penciled in, long lashes

I have thick eye-brows.
Fin wrote:
-- An off-center left eye that’s sometimes slightly higher than the right eye

I don't have that, thank god.
Fin wrote:
-- Glasses for short-sightedness (never far-sightedness)

There are probably a couple of far-sighted folks here. It's just that many people are short-sighted rather than far-sighted.
Fin wrote:
-- Large rabbity incisors, often with a gap between them

A lot of people have this. It might however be true that especially those with sensory issues and social problems are very averse to getting their teeth corrected due to not being able to stand how it feels like or because they're unable to go to the dentist due to their social difficulties and possible co-morbid such as social anxiety.
Fin wrote:
-- Short legs or long legs, pigeon-toed walk

Short or long? About every person has short or long legs.
Fin wrote:
-- Subtle androgyny

I'm rather curvy and I'm not the only one.

I don't fit any but 3 of this list but I'm 100% autistic, fitting both AS and classical autism.

AndreT
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Apr 2009, 6:57 am

"Why neoteny should be so exaggerated in some humans is a mystery, but it clearly has something to do with genetics (aspie parents) and something to do with the environment – perhaps cold or a lack of sunlight, since many aspies seem to come from Scandinavia or Scotland."

Neoteny is maturational delay. See Gould's work, Ontogeny and Phylogeny. Maturational delay is closely associated with mother's uterine testosterone levels. See Baron-Cohen's work. Conditions characterized by maturational delay are directly related to environments that result in high female testosterone levels, at least seasonally, and a societal emphasis on characteristics that reinforce neotenous features (in Scandinavia blonde hair, blue eyes, pale skin and lanky builds are all neotenous features developed to make it possible to process milk products as adults and absorb sunlight, bringing in Vitamins A and D). By developing the features of infants (light skin & lactate processing ability) the culture thrives.

Andrew

Fin
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Apr 2009, 7:03 am

Thanks for the info, AndreT. You seem to know what I'm talking about.