Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 5:43 am

I'm definitely a pessimist and was wondering where other Aspies stand. It's really irritating, but no matter what I've tried, I haven't been able to work around it. I'll be talking with someone about a problem I'm facing and they'll make suggestions. Almost before they're done making the suggestion, I can tell them all the problems with it and can't convince myself the solution is worth it if it requires overcoming those problems. With ideas, people, anything, the first thing I notice are its flaws.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 6:14 am

I'm something between an optimistic realist and a realistic optimist myself.

I often tend to realise when things are unsolvable for the moment because I think faster and take more details into consideration than other people.

I do, however, not think that unsolvable at the moment means that the situation is hopeless and will not be solved.

Last edited by Sora on 07 Apr 2009, 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 6:14 am

I'm an optimist. Having a positive look on things and a drive to correct problems I feel is a very good trait for an Aspie since I can avoid unnecessary depression and easily solve my own worries fast.

It is not a very helpful mental set to be pessimistic, even if the idea is bad you should keep it to yourself and maybe give some criticism at the end or not at all, since you find leaks and holes in everything you should also think about how tired the person trying to help you is getting of your constant hole poking, frustrating for some who don't give things a second thought.

Next time someone tries to help you out, just listen to the person then change it the way you want or give some ideas after. Don´t go against every proposal 24/7 because people will grow tired of you and they will see it as a waste of energy if they are going to be met by someone ready to shoot everything down.

:::)

Quirky_Girl72
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Apr 2009, 6:41 am

Sora wrote:
I'm something between an optimistic realist and a realistic optimist myself.

I often tend to realise when things are unsolvable for the moment because I think faster and take more details into consideration than other people.

I do, however, not think that unsolvable at the moment means that the situation is hopeless and will not be solved.

I would consider myself a realist as well, since I try to weigh out all the probable outcomes in any given situation. However, I mix all of this in w/ the high probability that I will end up with one of the more negative outcomes....since this is what usually happens... So I would have to say that I am pessimist....realistically speaking :P

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 7:37 am

Optimist, mainly :D

sbwilson
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Apr 2009, 7:41 am

I've been referred to as a pessimist, but I've always looked at myself as a realist. Reality isn't sugarcoated.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 7:42 am

Neither. Realist.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 7:58 am

Pessimist mostly

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 8:08 am

Optimist at the best of times... pessimist at the worst of times... :nerdy:

Ruchard
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Apr 2009, 8:09 am

i am pessimist most of the time

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 8:33 am

A little from column A, a little from column B.
I try to keep a positive outlook on life though.

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 8:42 am

pensieve wrote:
A little from column A, a little from column B.
I try to keep a positive outlook on life though.

Your new avatar is positively adorable!

Hala
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Apr 2009, 8:45 am

Pessimist.

sketches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Apr 2009, 8:48 am

I'm a realist.

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 8:52 am

I am an optimist. Sometimes to a fault because I often underestimate driving-distances, costs, etc.

OP - Your example of your pessimism is bang-on. You sound like my husband and my mother - to a T. Their first responses are almost always NO or CAN'T or IT WON'T WORK. More often than not, with a little more discussion they change their mind. But their go-to answers are always pessimistic.

I often wonder if this can be changed in a person. I was a little s**t as a youth and very "negative" but even then, I think I was an optimist - because I was so restless and knew something better was waiting for me.

I have tried to change my husband's attitude - but I honestly don't think its possible anymore. He can act perky - but when things get stressful or are unsettled - he falls back to his "Negative Nancy" attitude. (My nickname for him when he gets like that.)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 9:16 am

Bataar wrote:
I'm definitely a pessimist and was wondering where other Aspies stand. It's really irritating, but no matter what I've tried, I haven't been able to work around it. I'll be talking with someone about a problem I'm facing and they'll make suggestions. Almost before they're done making the suggestion, I can tell them all the problems with it and can't convince myself the solution is worth it if it requires overcoming those problems. With ideas, people, anything, the first thing I notice are its flaws.

I am a realist. In the long run we will all be dead.

Even the cosmos is doomed to cool off and die, so in the very longest run everything is futile.

ruveyn