Page 2 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ThisisjusthowItalk
Raven
Raven

07 Apr 2009, 6:26 pm

Bataar wrote:
I'm definitely a pessimist and was wondering where other Aspies stand. It's really irritating, but no matter what I've tried, I haven't been able to work around it. I'll be talking with someone about a problem I'm facing and they'll make suggestions. Almost before they're done making the suggestion, I can tell them all the problems with it and can't convince myself the solution is worth it if it requires overcoming those problems. With ideas, people, anything, the first thing I notice are its flaws.
Refer to yourself as "cautious and critical," and adopt a smug, superior attitude about it. It's very satisfying. Trust me.

I'm a hopeless optimist. This is partially due to going through severe depressive episodes in my past. Believe me, after you've died and come back to life a few times, it's natural to feel a bit immortal.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 6:29 pm

A pessimist can never be disappointed. An optimist is almost always disappointed. If one believes things will turn out badly then things can hardly ever turn out worse than expected.

ruveyn

kaitlyn_loves_music
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Apr 2009, 7:05 pm

most definately a pessimist.

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 7:13 pm

ruveyn wrote:
A pessimist can never be disappointed. An optimist is almost always disappointed. If one believes things will turn out badly then things can hardly ever turn out worse than expected.

ruveyn

How can an optimist be disappointed?

This optimist hasn't been disappointed in.... :scratch: - a long time. Trying to remember....

Oh yeah - about a month ago we left a day late on a vacation. I was so pissed off I didn't automatically go to the silver-lining. That is the rare exception.

ThisisjusthowItalk
Raven
Raven

07 Apr 2009, 8:41 pm

ruveyn wrote:
A pessimist can never be disappointed.
You mean a pessimist remains disappointed.

Quote:
An optimist is almost always disappointed.
Nope! You miss the point of optimism. I've been around the block a few times, and optimism has nothing to do with expected outcomes. Optimism is the belief that, so long as there's a breath in you, there's a way forward, eventually. Optimism is a patient, stubborn sort of creature, and she won't take 'no' for an answer.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2009, 4:01 am

I believe that you can be an optimist or a pessimist in different sectors of life. When it comes to people I am sort of an optimist, I like to believe that people are mostly good and believe the best of them.

But when it comes to life and the physical world I am a pessimist. I feel unable to control a lot of what is going on around me on the physical plane and I am very sensitive in a sensory and physical way so I am easily overwhelmed and then I get irritable and angry. So when I was working I would spent 90% of my day feeling stressed and wired. And I guess it makes me down on life itself because I feel angry at a life I cant cope with.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2009, 5:53 am

I consider myself a realist....or someone who likes to hope for the best, but knows better than to blindly expect it. :lol:

Most people see me as a pessimist.

kornchild
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2009, 11:14 am

Pessimist, always looking on the bad side of things.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2009, 11:38 am

Everything is Doomed!

So let's have some fun!

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 12:21 am

Q: "Are you an optimist or a pessimist?"

A: "Yes"

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 1:09 am

It's not like I choose to be this way. My family tells me not to be so negative and I just can't help it. If something's a bad idea it's a bad idea and thinking about it positively won't change that in any way.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 2:10 am

Pessimist here.

All I ever heard from people was negative (about me) so maybe I took it as normal to be 'negative' about things.

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 9:57 am

ThisisjusthowItalk wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
A pessimist can never be disappointed.
You mean a pessimist remains disappointed.

Quote:
An optimist is almost always disappointed.
Nope! You miss the point of optimism. I've been around the block a few times, and optimism has nothing to do with expected outcomes. Optimism is the belief that, so long as there's a breath in you, there's a way forward, eventually. Optimism is a patient, stubborn sort of creature, and she won't take 'no' for an answer.

Optimism is also the ability to make something of a bad situation. To put it in its most corny, annoying saying - if life gives you lemons, make lemonade. (God! I hate that saying!) :x

Or better yet, to find the silver lining in the storm clouds. (I, literally, love to look at the silver-lining of clouds. I could stare at them and follow them around all day. To me, they are even cooler than rainbows)

Here's a good example. An optimist gets fired from her crappy, stressful marketing job and see's nothing but a clean start and a bright future. Three years later, as predicted, the present and future is way better then that sh***y oppressive job. (True story.)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 10:01 am

Theodore Sturegeon's Lemma: 85 percent of everything is Sh*t.

ruveyn

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 10:03 am

When life gives you s**t, make a s**t sandwich.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 6:07 pm

Realist