About 50% 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
(More than zero but) Less than 50% 26%  26%  [ 19 ]
Zero% (As far as you know) 38%  38%  [ 27 ]
Total votes : 72

b9
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2009, 9:04 am

my mother was swedish and my father was german.
they were killed when i was born. my mother was kept alive until they got me out of her and they had to let her die then. they were in a motorcycle accident. (before anyone speculates,i did not suffer any birth trauma and i was not starved of oxygen and i was due to be born and was not premature)
i was adopted at 2 weeks old into an australian family, and i am fully australian in accent and experience. i know nothing else than my life that was grown in australia.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2009, 9:06 am

50% Swedish and the rest is from other countries (Finnish/German). Born and raised all my life in Sweden though.

And please note that "Scandinavia" is not the same as the "Nordic countries".

And...

As for your theory: There may be environmental factors prevalent in Scandinavia and similar countries that affect Autism/Aspergers:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aspergers.html
(6 pages of text)

The human genome is adapting fast to its environment, and if that means you have to be a geek to survive, so be it... maby there is something about that saying "The geek shall inherit the earth" :)

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2009, 10:34 am

I'm Danish on my mom's side, but I maintain that I got my AS from my dad.

No Scandinavian there.

That I know of.

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2009, 1:27 pm

I am 100% Danish. :D

RockDrummer616
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2009, 1:54 pm

I'm Ashkenazi, which for anyone who doesn't know is someone of Jewish descent with ancestors from Eastern Europe, in areas such as Romania, Lithuania, Ukraine, Russia, etc. As far as I know this does not include Scandinavia.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2009, 1:56 pm

RockDrummer616 wrote:
I'm Ashkenazi, which for anyone who doesn't know is someone of Jewish descent with ancestors from Eastern Europe, in areas such as Romania, Lithuania, Ukraine, Russia, etc. As far as I know this does not include Scandinavia.

Could the Scandinavians be one of The Lost Tribes?

ruveyn

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2009, 2:42 pm

I am 50% Czech..as in both my grandparents on my dad's side are 100% Czech...as far as I know..
and on my mom's side, my great grandfather was rumored to have been born in the north part of Ireland, but he took off, and my grandfather was adopted by the guy who married my great grandmother. So, on my mom's side..I guess...English, Irish, Welsh, with a touch of Native American....or you could just say that her family is from Upstate New York...

Um...AS-wise, I take after my mom, but there are very strong traits on my dad's side. That is where are the extra-intelligent architects, musicians, engineers, inventors and whatnot seem to be...I just don't happen to be one of them...I tend to have have all the dysfunction and none of the genius :?

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Apr 2009, 8:29 pm

ruveyn wrote:
RockDrummer616 wrote:

ruveyn

As I told in another thread;I'm not jumping to conclusions, but I read some interesting theory about the lost tribes of the jews. It's told that (not sure if I get the names correct) but there was a tribe called Aser? It's said that in angient times they settled down in the area that now is known as Azerbadjan-(Aser..somthing)
Later they broke up, heading north, and settled in scandinavia.
If you are familiar with norse mythology, the angient scandinavians had gods, but the name for these gods was.. aser. It's assumed that some of their jewish myths travelled with them and by time got changed into norse mythology.
So, If this theory holds any water, the scandinavians are in fact a part of the lost tribe aser, and in fact jews. Asers tribe was known among other things, for their fair skin and blonde hair.

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2009, 11:58 pm

The truth is that I have no real idea.

I am descended from the aboriginal inhabitants of Vinland (Abenaki, Montagnais, etc), who definitely have more caucasoid features than other Native Americans.

On the caucasian side, I have Norman French, Scottish, English, Welsh and Irish. Also, I have a fair number of Nordic features, but I am not sure how many Nordic genes I actually carry. Thus, I voted for <50%.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 12:05 am

Totally German--since the middle ages, as far as my grandmother can tell from our genealogy. Everything she's turned up has been Germany, Austria, and the ethnic German parts of Czechoslovakia. Apparently my family stayed put for a long time before emigrating all over the face of the Earth as we've done this generation!

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

go_around
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Apr 2009, 1:08 am

My father's father was norwegian, so that makes me 25% if you're going purely by genes. My father's mother was adopted by a norwegian family, but wasn't actually at all norwegian, so I think she counts if you're primarily concerned with culture. Personality wise I am very similar to my father, and I'm told he is very similar to how his father was (my grandpa died before I was born, so I can't verify that). None of us, however, have an ASD diagnosis, just a few questionable diagnoses of OCD and similar such issues. A serious distrust of mental health professionals also runs in our family, so it's quite likely that we will just remain very odd and difficult people.

That lack of diagnosis, however, might actually give credence to the idea that people like us (i.e. partially or wholly Scandinavian in cultural terms) have AS traits but don't necessarily have AS. My father and I definitely have the most noticeable AS traits in our family (sensory issues, intense obsessions, a tendency to babble on in a pedantic manner not noticing that we're driving others batty, aversion to eye contact, etc), but other family members on his side definitely have their moments. I know I don't stick out nearly as much in my family as I would in most other families I've observed!

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 6:25 pm

My mom's side of the family is Norwegian, Swedish and Finnish...my dad's side of the family that had depression, anxiety learning disabilities and bipolar disorder.

All of these = effed up lil' me :P

Dee_
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Apr 2009, 6:56 pm

My dads parents moved here from Belgium in the 1930's. They both are scandanavian, consisting mainly swedish and finnish and a bit of dane ancestry. And they are very large, most of my relatives on my dad's side. I haev three uncles in Belgium who are between 7'1" and 7'5", my dad is 6'6", my aunt is 6'4" and I am 6'7"... I do have a sister that is 6'1, nephews who are 6'5", 6'4" and 6'2". My 15 year old son is 6'3"... must be the celt or viking blood or something...

My mothers side is a mixed. She is prussian, canuk (canadian french) and a combination of Cherokee, Huron and Chippewa... The rest is a mix of other stuff such as swiss, italian, spanish and semitic (tribe of levi - cohen, traced to europe /back to 1300's/, from north africa /back to 600's/) - long line of rabbis so the lineage was documented.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 8:27 pm

I'm the follwing:

Dad's side:
25% French
25% English

Mom's side:
25% Danish
25% German

Looks wise, I took after the French side, although I have the Danish coloring. But I get decent tans in the summer, so at least I'm not pale as a ghost year-round. lol I don't even look German one bit. My mom doesn't really either though. She looks very Danish and my dad looks very French (But he has the dark southern French coloring while I'm lighter than both of my parents for skin, eyes and hair.).

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2009, 10:18 am

mosez wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
RockDrummer616 wrote:

ruveyn

As I told in another thread;I'm not jumping to conclusions, but I read some interesting theory about the lost tribes of the jews. It's told that (not sure if I get the names correct) but there was a tribe called Aser? It's said that in angient times they settled down in the area that now is known as Azerbadjan-(Aser..somthing)
If you are familiar with norse mythology, the angient scandinavians had gods, but the name for these gods was.. aser. It's assumed that some of their jewish myths travelled with them and by time got changed into norse mythology.
So, If this theory holds any water, the scandinavians are in fact a part of the lost tribe aser, and in fact jews. Asers tribe was known among other things, for their fair skin and blonde hair.

I have heard a kind of similar story about the tribe of Dan (but it's a long time ago, so I don't remember that much). Hence, Danes and Denmark (Danmark). :wink:
I've also read something about some connection to, if not Azerbadjan, then a place in the same area. There should have been a king or chief or something called Udin, hence Odin, the highest god of Norse mythology.
But I don't know if anyone has combined the two stories.

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Apr 2009, 10:38 am

AnnePande wrote:
mosez wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
RockDrummer616 wrote:

ruveyn

I have heard a kind of similar story about the tribe of Dan (but it's a long time ago, so I don't remember that much). Hence, Danes and Denmark (Danmark). :wink:
I've also read something about some connection to, if not Azerbadjan, then a place in the same area. There should have been a king or chief or something called Udin, hence Odin, the highest god of Norse mythology.
But I don't know if anyone has combined the two stories.

It's quite some years since I read this, so It's all from my memory, and I can't seem to remember where I read it.
I also remember that in the original Israeli camp, Asher (aser in norwegian) was placed to the north with Dan and Naftali. I have to study this deeper, think there is a book about it, if I just can remember the name of the book. I sometimes get hooked on history and myths. :D I also guess there are different stories about the lost tribes, that's been one of the real classic mysteries trough history of mankind