Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 7:09 am

How many people here are dyslexic?

BelindatheNobody
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 7:12 am

ASD, not dyslexic.

I have a couple of "NT" friends who are dyslexic, though.

Flavors of: Nobody. Slytherin. Autistic.

twix93
Raven
Raven

09 Apr 2009, 7:20 am

Not as far as I know - I am good with langugae structure, grammar and spelling but I am slow at reading and understanding text and I don't like comprehension.

CambridgeSuperman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Apr 2009, 7:33 am

it was only on realising, and being formally diagnosed with dyslexia, that i seriously considered that i am also aspergic.

Obviously I'd noticed the signs of both all my life but it was only when i had a dyslexia diagnosis and also the cognitive test results that came with that i had definitive, objective proof that i was somehow "different".

At first I really thought I had ADD cos thats more common in people with dyslexia. ADHD and ASD have a lot of common symptom but ADHD didn't quite explain as much and now Asperger's seems to fit like a glove.

Statistically, 75% of all ASD individuals have some kind of learning difficulty/ disability such as dyslexia, dyspraxia etc..

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 7:38 am

I'm "not" dyslexic or discalculate, but I do find myself transposing letters and numbers when I do things. I've done it so long that I don't really worry anymore.

What I do may qualify, but other than letter/digit transposition, I don't have any other issues of "dyslexia."

melissa17b
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Apr 2009, 8:46 am

ASD-positive, but much more toward the hypercalculia and hyperlexia ends of those respective scales.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 11:11 am

BelindatheNobody wrote:
I have a couple of "NT" friends who are dyslexic, though.

If they are Dyslexic, they are by definition not Neurotypical.

Ravenchild
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Apr 2009, 1:08 pm

So far, labelled with dyslexia & dyspraxia. Still waiting to see what else there might be.
The only way to describe me seems to be "funny wiring"!

kaitlyn_loves_music
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Apr 2009, 3:39 pm

i actually suspect that i have it i was diagnosed with ADD but i was misdiagnosed since dyslexia is hard to diagnose.
i wasnt diagnosed with dyslexia or asperger's.
i have it cuz i say stuff back without even knowing, im not really good at reading, horrible with doing math without a calculator, and when i write i seem to be writing stuff off a different line.
idk i can go on for days but im 100% sure im dyslexic and i kinda dont want a diagnoses since im pratically almost done with high school so whats the point i should of been diagnosed a long long time ago.

oh and about the reading i got reading glasses when i was in 4th grade cuz i was complaining about my eyesight when i read like the words would get really fuzzy and would move around but they said i have 20/20 vision and i have a lazy eye.
is that part of dyslexia??????

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 3:45 pm

kaitlyn_loves_music wrote:
oh and about the reading i got reading glasses when i was in 4th grade cuz i was complaining about my eyesight when i read like the words would get really fuzzy and would move around but they said i have 20/20 vision and i have a lazy eye.
is that part of dyslexia??????

That it is.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 4:21 pm

I don't think I have dyslexia, but sometimes I switch numbers around.

And sometimes if I'm doing something like jotting down hex, I'll write "4" instead of "F", things like that.

Probably has to do with the fact that you can memorize how words are spelt, but you can't memorize sequences of numbers (I mean, unless it's a phone number or something you see regularly) or random combinations of letters, letters and numbers, plus other characters, etc.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 4:26 pm

I am only mildly dyslexic. I am also left-handed...Not really affected too much by it..Sometimes I have to pause to tell whether something is written backwards or forwards...I am also good at reading and writing backwards..I sometimes have difficulty telling left from right...and wear a ring on my hand so that I know.

The dyscalculea is the one that really gets me...Math in school was always torture...I have always had the feeling that maybe I would actually be good at math if it were taught to me in some different way.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 5:28 pm

I actually had hyperlexia as a child; my difficulties lied in the nonverbal. In the 6th grade, I was tested to have a reading and writing level equivalent to the average college sophomore.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 5:45 pm

ASD-not dyslexic.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!