Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2006, 6:01 pm

Have I mentioned that I have a poltergeist in my house? Yeah, it's moved a cup on my desk twice, a cylinder of lemonade on a shelf once, and just now another cup moved by my sink. This last one might have been due to water and slop because I could duplicate it, but the others didn't duplicate themselves when I put things back to where they were before they moved.

It doesn't scare me because nothing "threatening" has happened, it's just stuff moving. It's weird but funny. I like to think if it's a poltergeist he's either just really bored or is like really goofy or something.

The alternative is, of course, that I have telekinesis in addition to mild electrokenesis. ((Which my mom has; she walks or drives under street lights and they go out, she has walked by light bulbs and had them explode, and her watches all die really fast.)) I have only experienced the street light thing, and computer/electronic equipment is ill-fated around me. I have a calculator that, at random moments, will interrupt what you're doing and say "SIN." Hmm... I'm either getting a sign, or being told to sin, but I can't tell which. Lol.

pad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2006, 6:12 pm

Serissa wrote:
Have I mentioned that I have a poltergeist in my house? Yeah, it's moved a cup on my desk twice, a cylinder of lemonade on a shelf once, and just now another cup moved by my sink. This last one might have been due to water and slop because I could duplicate it, but the others didn't duplicate themselves when I put things back to where they were before they moved.

It doesn't scare me because nothing "threatening" has happened, it's just stuff moving. It's weird but funny. I like to think if it's a poltergeist he's either just really bored or is like really goofy or something.

The alternative is, of course, that I have telekinesis in addition to mild electrokenesis. ((Which my mom has; she walks or drives under street lights and they go out, she has walked by light bulbs and had them explode, and her watches all die really fast.)) I have only experienced the street light thing, and computer/electronic equipment is ill-fated around me. I have a calculator that, at random moments, will interrupt what you're doing and say "SIN." Hmm... I'm either getting a sign, or being told to sin, but I can't tell which. Lol.

Wow! that is weird!. :lol:

"it's just stuff moving". You talk so casually about it. :lol:

You may have telekinesis because you've claimed your mother does.

Maybe it's a gene thing or something. Either way it cool that you wrote this and I got kind of a chuckle out of it so thank you. :P

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2006, 6:14 pm

my ex told me the story of getting mad at a then boyfriend and at the moment of her rant, the lightbulb he was standing under exploded. they were not in the same place at the time.
she can't wear regular battery watches, they die in 6 months. the long life lithium batteries last about a year. she has never had a working gas gauge - they die in the first few months she has the car.
and the worst part - i would fight with her but try not to make her too mad. everyone she got really mad at invariably had a car accident.
yes, i had one after i left her :(
but she likes me now so i hope i'm safe.

i am a computer mouse killer.
but that's because i drop them on the floor :roll:

if you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

Funaho
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jan 2006, 8:59 pm

Hmm "electrokenesis"...I didn't know there was a word for that but I'm like that too. Some street lights go off when I get near them and when I get stressed out electronic equipment around me tends to malfunction mysteriously. In fact when I was working for a small internet provider in 1996 even my sceptical coworker had to admit that it was odd how one server would crash, and I'd get frustrated trying to fix it and all of a sudden all the others would crash. I'm also empathic as all hell, and that one is is generally not very fun although I found it has great uses during sex, not that I get any more than once every few years.

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2006, 11:47 pm

I do have one useless power:
If a television has a lousy picture and I put my hand on it, the picture will clear up. It works the other way around too. Useless since everyone has cable these days.

if you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

Cade
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2006, 12:58 am

Yeah I can kill electronics too. LOL. I'm not as bad as some. It was worse when I was younger. I have made lights flicker, but not recently.

I'm hypersensitive to electricity, anything with a EF, including humans, animals and plants. I can easily sense electrical residue or waves in inaminate things too. If I handleor am close to things that have strong or very localized EMFs, it tends to make my joints ache, which is why I can't play electical guitar a lot (guitar pickups are electro-magnets). I just consider this another sensory issue related to havign AS. LOL.

I've had several more "strange" experiences, and these too may be realted to this hypersensitivity. Recent studies have show that the earth's changing electrical fields have a stronger effect on the brain of certain people, and can invoke psychic-like or mystical-like experiences and may be involved with certain forms of ESP.

Funaho
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jan 2006, 1:10 am

Cade wrote:
I'm hypersensitive to electricity, anything with a EF, including humans, animals and plants. I can easily sense electrical residue or waves in inaminate things too. If I handleor am close to things that have strong or very localized EMFs, it tends to make my joints ache, which is why I can't play electical guitar a lot (guitar pickups are electro-magnets). I just consider this another sensory issue related to havign AS. LOL.

I've had several more "strange" experiences, and these too may be realted to this hypersensitivity. Recent studies have show that the earth's changing electrical fields have a stronger effect on the brain of certain people, and can invoke psychic-like or mystical-like experiences and may be involved with certain forms of ESP.

Can you hear electrical appliances? I swear I can hear a TV turn on a mile away. I've read this is common among aspies. Although lately my sense has been triggering at weird times, like 4am when I'm home alone and (as far as I know) there are no running TVs nearby. It kinda freaks me out. Makes me wonder if it's not a TV i'm hearing, ya know?

I also have what seems like tinnitis (constant ringing in the ears) and have had it all my life as far as I can remember. What's odd though is that it isn't constant; it changes pitch and phase if people are around. I can kinda use it to pinpoint people around me I can't see if I'm careful.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2006, 3:57 am

I can make a broken playstation 2 work by beating the ever living s**t out of it, but that is about it.

Tolian
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jan 2006, 4:07 am

Funaho wrote:
Cade wrote:

Can you hear electrical appliances? I swear I can hear a TV turn on a mile away. I've read this is common among aspies. Although lately my sense has been triggering at weird times, like 4am when I'm home alone and (as far as I know) there are no running TVs nearby. It kinda freaks me out. Makes me wonder if it's not a TV i'm hearing, ya know?

I also have what seems like tinnitis (constant ringing in the ears) and have had it all my life as far as I can remember. What's odd though is that it isn't constant; it changes pitch and phase if people are around. I can kinda use it to pinpoint people around me I can't see if I'm careful.

Yeah I can hear the ultra-high pitched hum of electronics when they switch on - especially big things like TVs, when other people don't. Most likely because of the fact that I have trouble filtering out background noise and other sensory 'noise'.

On the other hand I have trouble hearing a person talking to me in the same room sometimes.

Wait, never mind.

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2006, 4:42 am

has anyone ever tested their voltage? I did it once in a Uni physics experiment and had a voltage three times higher than anyone else in the class. In my life I have been electrocuted at least three times (that I can remember). I also have the ability to hear the high pitch sounds of electrical devices etc

grayson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jan 2006, 6:06 am

Funaho wrote:
Can you hear electrical appliances? I swear I can hear a TV turn on a mile away.

I also have what seems like tinnitis (constant ringing in the ears) and have had it all my life as far as I can remember.

Both of these are true for me, too. I can hear appliances the minute I walk into a place, even if they don't appear to be on. It can be pretty annoying; I hear the phase shifts or something in the longlife light in my bedroom reading lamp and it drives me crazy while I'm reading. And I hear a high-pitched whine from my laptop power supply. Sometimes if I move it around, it gets better.

Tolian wrote:
On the other hand I have trouble hearing a person talking to me in the same room sometimes.

I have to watch people when they talk or I won't understand them very well. It isn't lipreading, though. I don't know what it is, but I have to see them talking or it's harder to hear them.

06xrs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jan 2006, 6:21 am

I used to hear all the electronic stuff, but now its just a constant tinnitus varying slightly in pitch and amplitude. It sounds just like the horizontal frequency of a tv. As far as I know (perhaps the computer people can enlighten me) computer monitors don't have a sweep frequency like tv's, but if they do that would explain it. It seems to have become more constant in direct correlation with the popularity of computers.
My wife has a lot of trouble with watches also. In electronics school I had her hold the probe of an oscilliscope to look at her body's electric field. It was extremely unusual compared to most people's but I don't remember in what way (it was 19yrs ago). Personally, I can often fix electronic things by just being near them. The machine will be acting up and the operator will call me over and as soon as I get close it straightens up. I tell them its because the machines are scared of me because they know I don't know what I'm doing but I'll start taking them apart until I find something.

earthmonkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jan 2006, 10:07 am

When I was working on an assignment for AP European History the night before our first big chapter test, I started to get kind of bored, as I couldn't figure out what evidence to use to back up my point (it was a DBQ outline). So, I closed my eyes for a second and went back over the documents I could use, but then I heard a strange kind of "popping" sound behind me. The first thing I figured was that an animal had gotten in the house and had jumped onto the lampshade of the lamp that was behind me. So, I turned around and saw that the lampshade was tipped over, hanging loose so that the bulb was exposed. Then, as I was looking at it, trying to see a rat or a mouse or something, the lampshade jumped up above the bulb and back downward. I looked all around, and saw nothing moving it. Needless to say, I wasn't bored anymore.

--G. K. Chesterton, The Aristocrat

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2006, 11:41 am

grayson wrote:
Tolian wrote:

I have to watch people when they talk or I won't understand them very well. It isn't lipreading, though. I don't know what it is, but I have to see them talking or it's harder to hear them.

Sounds like a symptom of CAPD-- Central Auditory Processing Disorder. Common in ASDs and ADHD (as well as other disorders I'm sure). I have similar symptoms. Some people even have CAPD bad enough where they need to turn on subtitles for the movies they watch.

Mine isn't as bad as that. But I do frequently ask for clarification of words. And I don't always process verbal words immediately. Sometimes it's a delayed reaction.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Hyperman
Raven
Raven

05 Jan 2006, 11:44 am

Funaho wrote:

I too can hear electronics; the only way the noise goes away is if I am in the woods somewhere and all the batteries are out of all the equipment. The reason the noise changes (for me anyway) when people are in the room is because I can hear it bouncing off the walls and when people are in the room they dampen it a little.

Funaho
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jan 2006, 12:04 pm

06xrs wrote:
As far as I know (perhaps the computer people can enlighten me) computer monitors don't have a sweep frequency like tv's, but if they do that would explain it. It seems to have become more constant in direct correlation with the popularity of computers.

A regular CRT (tube-based) monitor will have the flyback noise but LCD (flat panel) monitors don't. This (and the annoying refresh flicker on CRTs) is why all my monitors and my TV are now LCDs.