Whats with the steryotype of us liking trains?

Page 1 of 8 [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Jacob12
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Apr 2009, 9:57 pm

Seriously, I've never liked trains. But theirs a steryotype out there that says people like us like trains, whats up with that? has anyone ever been interested in trains? I haven't.

12 Apr 2009, 10:06 pm

Neither have I. I liked Thomas the Tank though but I was never obsessed with trains.

Seems like lot of people on the spectrum like them though.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2009, 10:12 pm

I was never obsessed with trains, either.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2009, 10:18 pm

I loved Thomas the tank engine but my brother was the one into trains.

There are many stereotypes for autism/AS, like the whole we're all math geniuses.

ZakFiend
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2009, 10:24 pm

Jacob12 wrote:
Seriously, I've never liked trains. But theirs a steryotype out there that says people like us like trains, whats up with that? has anyone ever been interested in trains? I haven't.

I fit the stereotype ...

It's not something I remember consciously choosing, especially in the really early years (2-4 years old) that I don't remember which my parents used to tell me I loved trains as a child and I'd always tell them to take me out to see the train by our house that came by every few days to once or twice a week.

I also went from one of those plastic toy trainsets to real hobby train sets N/H/O scale, and did the whole paper mashe thing on bristol board, etc with buying models cars and electrinc train engines, it eventually wore off and I moved on to other things but I think the train thing has to do with exposure to trains when the child is young. i.e. it only seems stereotypical because of the exposure to trains in the environment.

Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2009, 10:42 pm

Maybe cos you're too young. There are better things now like computers

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2009, 10:48 pm

I had a model train set as a child, they were a pretty common toy in the early sixties, and one of my most vivid childhood memories is a kindergarten field trip to ride on a local commuter train (which disappeared from this area shortly after). But no obsession with them.

Is that why the writers on Big Bang Theory have made Sheldon's character obsessive about trains? They did an entire episode recently based around Sheldon insisting they travel to a symposium by train even though driving there would have been faster. And of course, he knew everything there was to know about that specific type of train, it's design, capacities, etc.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2009, 10:52 pm

i am not obssessed with trains.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2009, 10:52 pm

Quote:
In 1944, a pediatrician from Vienna named Hans Asperger analyzed a group of four boys who displayed odd social, language, and cognitive behaviors. He noted that these boys struggled to form and maintain friendships, and they lacked empathy and appeared naïve when dealing with others. Asperger also noted their pedantic, repetitive speech and intense obsession with certain subjects, such as trains or weather, prompting him to call them “little professors”.

and thus, a stereotype was born. . .

Merle

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2009, 11:03 pm

trains are sexy...

...and so are motor homes...

...and big ass Ore Trucks :oops:

Basically something that you can reside in for a longer period of time and moves fast gets me hooked. :)
Not normal cars though...

:::)

Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 1:24 am

Cool pics. 8)

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 2:29 am

Never been :roll:

Zand
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Apr 2009, 2:34 am

I loved trains when I was a kid. I even got in a few newspapers for it though they always did make tones of assumptions about me and printed false information about me.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 2:37 am

Dinosaurs are a fairly common obsession too, aren't they? But then, dinosaur obsessions in kids are seen as a bit more normal.

Jsmitheh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Apr 2009, 2:59 am

I hate trains. From the time I buy the ticket to getting on the train it's an anxiety filled experience, and the entire ride home I'm telling myself I got on the wrong train and I'm going the wrong damn direction.

13 Apr 2009, 3:03 am

Orwell wrote:
Dinosaurs are a fairly common obsession too, aren't they? But then, dinosaur obsessions in kids are seen as a bit more normal.

I was obsessed with them for a bit because of Jurassic Park.