Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Rordiway
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Apr 2009, 12:50 pm

I believe that social awkwardness is more acceptable the older you get. My being "different" is not as big of an issue as it was when I was younger. It could be a combination of learning to fit in to a certain extent, and having less emphasis on socializing. The only times my social awkwardness comes a problem is when I am in a new social situation where something is expected of me. A new job or a new boss becomes problematic, and I have to try and figure out a new set of expectations.

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2009, 3:51 am

animal wrote:
I think it's because people think that being social is a basic part of humanity. Biologically this is true, of course, but there will always be some of us who find it difficult and irksome and tiring and so forth. And we are still humans, too.

But when these people are confronted with someone who does not conform to their idea of humanity, they become unsure of themselves, or scornful, or something. I don't know exactly what they think. I have troubles in that department. The point is, people tend not to like things that don't conform to their basic expectations. We do not conform. It's an accident, but there it is.

Thats a very good point you make animal. It just puzzles me why these tendencies have to occur and why someone would feel 'threatened' by someone who obviously is less adapt then they are, shouldn't it be the opposite way round?

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2009, 8:19 am

Jamin wrote:
Willard wrote:
....a lot of NT people have a sort of phobia about social awkwardness...

:lmao: LMAO!! !!

Great one! And very understated.

So - where then lies the pathology? :D

Ha ha, thats too funny Jamin :D

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

14 Apr 2009, 2:04 pm

this is why i love watching "wife swap" my goodness, to watch some snooty ass wife have to live in a trailor for a week is hilarious. im trying to get my mom on that show :o