Long time lurker, first (well, second) time poster

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Lyriel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Apr 2009, 2:51 pm

Hey guys! :)

So, as you can prolly see, I've been here awhile, but just haven't really gotten around to posting... but I figure now is the time to say hello and hopefully become a part of the community.

I am 28 years old, Kansas City born-and-bred, and just recently returned to my hometown after spending several years away. I am a self-diagnosed Aspie, having only discovered what Asperger's syndrome was five years ago. I am, however, seeking an official diagnosis, mainly to "validate" myself, to assure myself and others that the quirks that I've had my entire life are a part of who I am.

I do have a question for those of you who have sought out diagnosis during adulthood. Naturally, my family is going to participate in the process, but I'd also like to get a hold of my school records, which I know hold a bunch of information that can prove useful to those involved in diagnosis (I do have a copy of my second grade evaluation for special education, which in itself is a huge help - a school councilor even said in that particular evaluation that I showed autistic characteristics, but I'd like to have all my evaluations, IEP records, test records, etc). Have any of you gone through the process of obtaining school records for such a purpose? What can I expect, and how difficult is it?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you! :)

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 3:40 pm

I don't think school records would tell me much - since I went through the system between '63 and '77, when nobody had a clue what AS was, nor were they screening for anything less obvious than Downs Syndrome. Schools were just hearing terms like ADD when I was graduating. So my records are probably full of the same types of remarks that were on my report cards: Very smart, but doesn't always apply himself, yada yada yada... :roll:

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Apr 2009, 4:40 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

sillyputty
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 4:41 pm

Hi Lyriel :D

I never got my school records, so I can't help you out there. But, I hope you can get the information you need.

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 9:39 pm

Welcome greetings, Lyriel, to the Wrong Planet community.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2009, 12:25 am

Welcome to WP!

Lyriel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Apr 2009, 12:56 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Welcome to WP!

San Marcos, eh? Before I moved back up here, I spent three years living at Canyon Lake. :) I love the Hill Country, but it never felt like home to me.

Anyway, thanks for your input, guys. I was in "Behavior Disordered" special education throughout my school years. In fact, from the report that I do have in my possession from my second grade evaluation (age 7), is the following statement:

Quote:
REASON FOR REFERRAL:

(Lyriel) was referred for an evaluation by her classrom teacher because:
"(Lyriel) has displayed very unusual behavior around people. She withdraws from activities, has emotional outbursts for insignificant incidents, and has a great deal of difficulty making personal contact. She will not make eye contact and shuns any physical contact."

I know I went through at least two other similar evaluations (in 7th and 11th grades), went through tons of tests with district psychologists, I was sent to a special school for the most "difficult" BD cases in fifth grade (I was pulled out after three months and sent to a normal school with a BD program because of the endless abuse I took from my fellow - mostly male and middle school-aged - students), and had yearly IEP meetings, among other things. I can't imagine what kind of evidence the rest of my records would reveal.

Thanks for the welcomes - I've enjoyed lurking here, and I'm sure I'll enjoy taking part. :)

Tim_UK
Toucan
Toucan

15 Apr 2009, 4:46 am

Welcome! :)