Are physically impaired people more likely to be Aspies?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Perambulator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Apr 2009, 7:37 pm

If Aspies have poor motor co-ordination does it logically follow that a higher percentage of wheelchair users, people on crutches and people with back problems and so on have got Asperger's syndrome?

GreatCeleryStalk
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 9:40 pm

No. There are users here (myself included) who have physical disabilities like cerebral palsy. I don't know of any research that states that people with physical disabilities are more likely to have an ASD, though.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 10:01 pm

Perambulator wrote:
If Aspies have poor motor co-ordination does it logically follow that a higher percentage of wheelchair users, people on crutches and people with back problems and so on have got Asperger's syndrome?

only if they have fallen and couldn't get up. I don't know why it would be anymore physically damaging long term. I have fallen (on purpose, don't ask :roll: ) and broken my back in a few places, but I am up and around, now. I tend to not feel it when I hurt until it is too late, ergo my knee that is minus cartilage (from getting out of the drivers side of the car on my left side and carrying my whole weight on a knee twisting me out of the car) or the time I used to walk so much I lost my toenails from bruises under them (I wore dark red polish, so I didn't see it until I took the polish off)
but other than that, I don't think we are more accident prone for long term injuries.

Merle