Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

taxman
Raven
Raven

19 Jun 2009, 11:07 am

BTW in at least one state [CA] you can collect unemployment if you are fired for performance related issues that did not involve gross misconduct. Check your state's laws.

You can always file and see what happens. Some states are biased toward the employee and might force the employer to justify denying unemployment. It is worth a try.

Bonny
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jun 2009, 10:22 am

Hey there BitterGeek,

A balm for you-
"Deep peace of the open prairie and the windswept sky, the flowing rivers, the quiet valleys and the noble trees standing stalwart and true on the mountain side, steady through all the boisterous winds of life..."

& Find the images in your world that you like and feel the energy in them. Then surf on these feelings. Keep on until you draw deep even breaths, or you want to stop.
I use this imagery to draw up my energy when the winds whip me too much.

+, Jenny is right... [quote]eventually things will get better. :star:

ww
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jun 2009, 11:43 pm

I was fired last week after showing up three minutes late (that's right, three minutes) on my 3rd day of work. Sold my car and they knew I took four buses to get back and forth to work. Bus broke down and there I was, on my injured fractured toe, walking and running in great pain. I am ALWAYS at least men minutes early to work. I had TOP SALES IN THE ENTIRE OFFICE MY FIRST DAY ON JOB, and still was fired. Used to be that loyalty was rewarded. There are many many jerky companies out there that take advantage of people who are depressed, etc. They can spot it. That is not a pity thing or to feel sorry for yourself, just be aware. This remains a huge huge problem.

ww
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jun 2009, 1:29 am

Vanilla_Slice wrote:
As someone who was fired five times in his working 'career' I just want to wish you welcome to the club. Don't worry, after the third time you just take things in your stride and move along to the next job that comes along.

Vanilla Slice

5 times? I have been terminated more times than I can count or recall. Last week, for being THREE MINUTES late because of a bus breakdown.. they didn't care that I took four buses to get to work and was hobbling on swollen painful broken toe. "If you can't get here on time" the supervisor announced in front of all the other employees. Now, I am QUITE certain all of this is just an excuse to get rid of someone they find 'different' that they just don't want to work with, what do u think? Esp. since I was the top salesperson in the office 'room' and was ALWAYS at least ten minutes early to work.

ww
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jun 2009, 1:32 am

EarlPurple wrote:
Well I took it a number of times and thought maybe it was my fault but on this occasion I have decided to be firm and am taking the company to employment tribunal for disability discrimination and I think anyone else at least who is based in the UK should do the same because the law will hopefully be on your side.

WEll they weren't here. I did take it to a tribunal of sorts (discrimination law) and was told that the company provided 'documentation' showing 'inappropriate behavior' and gave that as a reason for not wishing to rehire me. What they call 'inapp' stemmed directly from the asperger tendencies, which they were told. Hmm,,, odd. since I got great employment reviews up to then. Opened mouth to complain and they turn like vipers. They also kept having me apply for jobs without telling me that I wasn't eligible.

Preston
Raven
Raven

26 Jul 2009, 8:46 am

BitterGeek wrote:
I feel like a total failure. I'm damaged goods. Nobody wants to hire me in this economy. I'm barely holding on to my will to live.

Aww. I gives you an e-hug. .. sorry I'm not a pretty girl XD I think of planning suicide on and off, including pretty recently. I'm taking online classes right now, but my job history's pretty bad. I'll have problems finding something. Most people I try to befriend shrug me off pretty quick (I made a thread about this in this socializing forum). Feels nice to relate to someone.

If I may say so, I would strongly advise not to think of yourself as a "failure." No matter how true or anyone else thinks that, life is much about perception, and that perception will just make a bad situation worse. Even superficial reasons to be confident should help you. I could offer more suggestions on the subject if you reply back and say you'd like them. Could go to PM too :-)

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 4:18 pm

we really don't know enough to say one way or another.

Hey, it's rough out there, for everyone, NT/AS, you name it. One of the things that's been recommended is going to some job-seekers' groups, whether by church, or professional organizations; they're all out there somewhere.

I've been going to one for about a month. The people in there are all old like me (age discrimination? never heard of it!...;) and they are managers, directors, VPs, programmers, Accountants...and they're all laid off, just like me. I know that's not very comforting, but it's just to put things in perspective. See if there are some in your area, they can be a big help. Nowadays, it's all about who you know, so the more people you know, the better your chances. It's like going to the dentist once a week for me..;) but it's something I need to do.

I think some of the less-honest managers are using the situation to 'trim' people who aren't their 'favorites' from the company. It could be something like that; we don't know if you were fired or laid off. Here (NC), you can be fired or laid off in most circumstances, and still collect unemployment. The only thing you can't collect for is quitting.