Autism/Aspergers: A Gift or God's Cruel Joke?

Page 7 of 7 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Are Autism Spectrum Disorders gifts or curses?
Gift 56%  56%  [ 59 ]
Curse 44%  44%  [ 47 ]
Total votes : 106

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 6:22 pm

^ RE: above link....burck: I don't know you, of course, but we are all Autistic! Do you think you could show your pastor the video clip? Maybe that would help him understand you better, and your potential.

- peterd: Great sense of humor! :D

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 6:24 pm

what's God got to do with it? :p wasn't god invented about 1000years AFTER he/it created the universe..
whether it's a "gift" , "curse" or somewhere between is entirely down to the person living the life.. why do people feel the need to blame/thank/rely on this "god" ? seems like a "nice" thing for weak-minded people to believe, but ultimately not very helpful & definitely can be negative..
meh rant over.. if i ever see God i'll ask.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 6:32 pm

It depends on where the individual is on the spectrum. For some, it is a gift, for others (me), it's a curse.

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 10:28 pm

I love having AS. I love the perspective that it gives me (devoid of outside social influences) and that I experience life so intensely (even agonizingly so).

It is a certainly a pain in the backside, and gets me down from time to time. However, in the greater scheme of things, challenges and hard times are what push us to grow.

burck
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 May 2009, 9:23 am

you make such a truthful point when you say that we grow through life's challenges. part of God's purpose is for each one of us to grow and mature, spiritually. challenges and struggles are catalysts toward that end...sometimes, we just need to be reminded of the truth; it's so easy to lose sight of it when we dwell on the struggle, in and of itself. thank you:)

rombomb
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Apr 2011, 4:54 pm

Please don't critisize g-d he is beautiful :)

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 5:03 pm

I'm just happy I'm a geek, whether AS caused or otherwise. God has nothing to with neurological conditions, or anything, for that matter.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

Nordlys
Toucan
Toucan

28 Apr 2011, 5:10 pm

I never cried for AS (or maybe once) but i'm not that happy with it. Somethimes i wish i were NT.

- La diversità è l'elemento principe del mondo -

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 5:50 pm

It is a gift. Why would you want to be more like an NT? Just because they are the majority and tend to dominate in society? If the majority was made up from those with AS I have a feeling things would be quite different. In that instance it would be the NTs who would think they were cursed with some incurable infliction that they should be ashamed of.

Do you know what...the NT world is not that much fun most of the time. I find the AS world far more fascinating. I am not diagnosed with an ASD but I find the people here much much much more interesting than the NTs out there (most of the time anyway unless they are a strange NT in some way lol).

alessi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Apr 2011, 8:35 pm

I love my high intelligence but my social ineptness has caused me a world of pain and suffering over the years.

joestenr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2011, 8:56 pm

both!! !

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 9:33 pm

I do believe autism is a disability, one of many disabilities in this world. That being said, I also believe it is a gift, one that the wider world has been unable to embrace as of yet. I think when society sees it is more than a disability then those with autism will be more inclined to see it as such as well.