Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

zeppelin123
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Apr 2009, 10:25 pm

Sensory Overload
I have always struggled with some sensory issues. When I was little, I would deal with them by acting up in crowded public places like stores. Now, I often get a feeling of disorientation and sometimes some autistic isms, but at least I know what`s happening.

Yesterday I attended a psychology conference at my college (I'm a psychology student). I enjoyed all the presentations and posters and may be presenting a poster myself next year. One thing I found difficult is during the breaks I would often try to talk to someone, and if other people were talking around me, I couldn`t process what they were saying and the noise around me. All the voices seemed to echo. Sometimes, the noise would be so much, I would lose my words in the middle of speaking. A similar thing happened to me often over at U of A when I was in large classes. Also, when I go to places like West Edmonton Mall, or Capital Ex, I often get over stimulated and disoriented. Another effect is after I spend a day out in a crowded public place, I'm very exhausted.

Some people have suggested things like plugging one ear. Others have suggested meditation. I'm going to try a few of those things and see if they work. If anyone else has any other suggestions, please put a comment to this post.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2009, 10:30 pm

Yeah I get that too. Sometimes if a lot of people are talking I have to leave the room.
I don't have any solutions, sorry.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

15 Apr 2009, 11:00 pm

now i only get it when im together with my family, (especially holidays) and it really sucks because i want to enjoy everyone, its just like putting your hand on the stove when its on full blast. so i need some beer to make me feel better

Josie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2009, 11:57 pm

I usually listen to my pod or try and tune it out.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2009, 1:06 am

oh gosh sensory overloads yes hate them. do u have an ipod/mp3/cd player of any kind? then do u have any noise cancelling headphones or anything? i always carry both headphones and ipod with me, they save my life help me escape and then be able to come back. Also is there a way u can scout out the places u go before u go there, to see if theres like a room u can slip into for a bit to calm down? i always scope out anywhere i go before i go just in case i need to exit fast. Also ever try a weighted vest? or weighted ankler weights? sometimes lil bit extra weight keeps ur more calm and relaxed. Either way good luck!hope i helped some!

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2009, 5:01 am

If you have long hair then you can wear earplugs and do a hairdo that covers your ears so that the earplugs are not noticeable. You'll still hear what you need to hear, like people talking beside you.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2009, 5:02 am

I get that if I'm under stress, I can't take too much sensory input and feel agitated by it.

I usually just use headphones and zone out. Music doesn't overload me, maybe because it's not random or white noise like, it kind of has a morphology of its own...in my head anyway.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2009, 7:05 am

I do have sensory issues but not that many overloads. And so because I'm not used to having them when I do have an overload I'm like WTF? and it's really really weird. I hate it though when I'm trying to have a conversation and theirs loads of noise or the suns out, because I can hardly hear them and I can hardly hear myself either and I'm having to shout over the noise.

anthonylee
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Apr 2009, 8:48 am

It depends on what type of sensory overload, how bad and the situations. It can make me very exitable and uncomfortable to need/ want to leave the situation. I get socially overloaded very easily and can only deal with one person at a time very well! As far as my over sensitive sensnes go, I have stratagies to lessen them that work, but not in every situation.