What is everybody like when their stressed?

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2009, 3:45 am

Ok so this past weeks have been hell for me, and i hate to say it but autism is now the enemy more and more, I sort of seem like a tornado to be around, and I hate myself like this! When I'm stressed I'm either more verbal and not verbal at all, lately i seem more verbal, I'll ask more question, seem more assertive, I'll scream more, but anyways, I go into horrible crying fits to giggling fits, uncontrollable second mood swings, biting myself until i take skin off, biting others who come near me, scratching others, hitting(which i use to do more as a child, now i'm all of a sudden doing it again), headbanging more and more into anything that i come near..walls, tables, chairs, toilets, floors, tvs, and going from extremely hyper meaning i climb(huge climber) on everything and everybody, jumping on things, throwing things on the ground that including food, screaming at the top of my lungs to becoming extremely larthargic meaning i walk like a drunk zombie, all i wanna do is be in bed under my weighted blankets, won't eat anything, headbang against anything hard enough, chew through blankets and anything else i can get my mouth on, seem resistant to anything that involves moving lol, and it will get as bad that ill lay there drooling staring into space like im catatonic biting myself non stop. Thats me when I'm stressed and since my bf started a second job, we had spring break, my brother has been home more, my mother starts a new job, i'm a whole mess :oops: . Anyways enough about me, What is everybody else like when their stressed :?:

JeffJ
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Apr 2009, 3:48 am

Im a shaking nervous wreck, palms are sweaty, and I chew my fingernails until they bleed.
Also I might pace around or go bury my head under a pillow and just sit there thinking about things.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2009, 3:50 am

Similar, except less extreme. :lol:

I tend to snap peoples heads off, alternate between crying and stimming, choke down screams (bits of which sometimes escape from my mouth), have sudden convulsive sharp jerking body movements, etc.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2009, 3:58 am

Depends. I can throw things, scream, hit walls or be non-verbal and almost catatonic. Today I was going through the worst of PMDD so I just laid on a bed and cried. I had sensory overload while in town before that and felt so uncomfortable even in my own room. Luckily there is a bed in a room near the backyard that is quiet.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2009, 4:51 am

KoR,with added mentalness,or the ginger taz [as what sister calls her cat,sandy].

it's a fight or flight thing isn't it,the more setoffs that are caused,the more stress chemicals that get chucked out,being autie or sev/aspie it's like ODing on the stuff.

the vet recommended bach rescue remedy for sandy [she would howl and run around in circles and try and bite her bum and tail,she doesnt like people apart from those who look after her]-have ever tried that bach rescue remedy Age? or a similar mix?
can get it from chemists,health food stores etc,its flower escences or however its spelt,its supposed to help with a lot of stuff,human,cat,dog whatever.
with cats its put in the water bowl to mix with water,but cant think Age would fancy bending down on the floor that long drinking it,think its putting a few drops under tongue in humans.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Brusilov
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Apr 2009, 5:01 am

If I can, I'll exercise to help myself calm down. I have to get away from the stressor.

People can't really tell when I'm stressed. I typically get very quiet and withdrawn when I am tired or under pressure. I guess my implosion(as opposed to my explosions) were one of the reasons that my diagnosis was postponed for so long.

TobyZ
Toucan
Toucan

16 Apr 2009, 6:43 am

I stupidly try to do conflict resolution like NT's suggested for 25 years and show the person I'm upset with that I am hurt (I believe I am too sensitive, too strong of empathy as discussed here: http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic ... f_empathy_ )...

Which in worse case makes me get louder, more angry, more meltdown - hurting the person even more. And making them fearful, isolating me more, making me unhappy.

This was pre my AS understanding. I'm working at changing it, but part of it is educating the people around me to help me break a cycle that I have never been able to break.

When I shutdown, I tend to overeat, most the symptoms of depresseion (but generally only when under serious hard-core stress).

Last edited by TobyZ on 16 Apr 2009, 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2009, 6:47 am

My breakdowns are me violently sobbing and hyperventilating while rocking and not being able to talk. I used to throw things and would be more extreme with anger, but that's gotten better now that I take the mood stabilizer Lamictal.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2009, 6:47 am

I just withdraw more than usual, and then stop doing things.

When I was younger I was of the "Hulk Smash" make, but I'm not anymore.

BelindatheNobody
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2009, 7:27 am

Danielismyname wrote:
I just withdraw more than usual, and then stop doing things.

Pretty much ditto.
Except I'm often stressed, so, it varies. Sometimes nothing. I'm used to stress.
It's when you throw other people and/or other extreme emotions and/or sensory badness into the mix that you'll see more noticeable reactions out of me (meltdowns, shutdowns, withdrawal...).

Flavors of: Nobody. Slytherin. Autistic.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2009, 8:07 am

When I'm stressed I don't let it show in public or at school but I do get quieter.
At home when I'm stressed I just cry loads and get angry over little things and shout alot.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2009, 8:19 am

Volatile. Withdrawn, but if I'm disturbed, I'm likely to try to hurt the person or object that has disturbed me, unless I really, really care about them, in which case I use all of my self control to stop myself from exploding at them (and when I'm stressed, I overreact to stuff, so it doesn't take much to disturb me).

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2009, 11:06 am

KingdomOfRats wrote:
KoR,with added mentalness,or the ginger taz [as what sister calls her cat,sandy].

it's a fight or flight thing isn't it,the more setoffs that are caused,the more stress chemicals that get chucked out,being autie or sev/aspie it's like ODing on the stuff.

the vet recommended bach rescue remedy for sandy [she would howl and run around in circles and try and bite her bum and tail,she doesnt like people apart from those who look after her]-have ever tried that bach rescue remedy Age? or a similar mix?
can get it from chemists,health food stores etc,its flower escences or however its spelt,its supposed to help with a lot of stuff,human,cat,dog whatever.
with cats its put in the water bowl to mix with water,but cant think Age would fancy bending down on the floor that long drinking it,think its putting a few drops under tongue in humans.

I got Bachs rescue remedy pastelles for my very good ASish friend who happens to deal with stress poorly. When he is stressed, he will become verbally abusive..sometimes towards his boss at work. The losenges seem to have a pretty profound effect on him..his only trouble is that when he is stressed he is too bundled up to think about using them, or the stress balm i gave him... :wink: He is too busy flailing around likee a little kid in a tantrum...anything you give him, he might throw across the room...at least figuratively...

If I try to internalize my stress...then I might get physically ill...headaches and vomiting...I also often seem to forget how to do simple things...my decision making skills go out the window.....I don't deal with stress very well at all....
Many of the things described in the above posts apply as well...Also, it may take very little to cause me to have a stressed reaction...which usually begets more stress...

Last edited by poopylungstuffing on 16 Apr 2009, 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2009, 11:08 am

I put on a big fat smile while I crumble inside, till I collapse.

:::)

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2009, 11:11 am

Irritable and I snap at people.

Stress upsets my ability to stay focused.

TobyZ
Toucan
Toucan

16 Apr 2009, 11:17 am

poopylungstuffing wrote:

Humm. I've tried to teach people throughout my life (undiagnosed) to do things to calm me down. I have requested them to hug me or to talk gently to me and ask me to "calm down". But they are fearful and don't believe that I really can't control it. So they tend to just add to the negative energy making it worse. Fun, eh?

I've never thought of giving them a physical remedy they could HAND me to break the cycle. Maybe giving them something like this.... and asking them to hand it to me when I cross some comfort line for them - might get my intellectual attention enough that I can slow down and relax before it gets too bad.

I'll try it :)